Windows 7 Freezing

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by DgtlOutcst, Dec 19, 2009.

1. DgtlOutcst

DgtlOutcst Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260 (55nm)
    Hello,

I've been having a major issue with Windows 7 (home premium 64) lately. Every now and then, it decides to just completely freeze up. Example:

I played TF2 without a problem for about 2 hours. I close the game. Try to start up Foobar2000 to listen to some music. First it has strouble starting up, andwhn it finally does it freezes after a few seconds. I had to use task manager to close it.

I open up firefox to redownload it. I download it, firefox gets stuck on ''scanning for viruses'', the whole PC locks up and I have to reset the system. Now, here is the annoying part. When I reset, the PC won't boot and it tells me a disk read error occured and I have to preess ctrl+alt+del to restart. Sometimes when I do this, it does not give me the error message but the system locks up on ''starting windows''. I left it there for about 20 minutes, and it still does not go into windows. (could this be a problem with my SSD?)

I'm using an OCZ Core (60gb) for my os, and have two 1TB samsung spinpoints for all my apps, games etc.

I allready installed windows 7 two times this week trying to get rid of the problem, but it has not worked and this is starting to frustrate me, so I thought maybe you would have some advice.

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  2. magicdave26

magicdave26 Banned

GPU:
    S-HD 5770 1GB 1000 / 1400
    Do a disk check, if it has happened after 2 reinstalls it sounds like a hardware issue

Also try checking the RAM, removing one piece at a time and rebooting and see if you can identify if it is one of the ram sticks

3. bokeh

bokeh Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB
    Try changing SATA cables for those Samsungs, i had similar problems with secondary 750gb Samsung (games, some apps etc), changing cable and if possible placing it different sata port in your motherboard, might fix problem.

I don't think it is your SSD, if you have succesfully reinstalled windows two times on it.

If problem still exists after this then it might be bad harddrive.

4. DgtlOutcst

DgtlOutcst Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260 (55nm)
    I tried the RAM and the disk checks, only did the disk check for my SSD though, I'll do one for the other HDD's later. Not sure if the problem is still here though as it sometimes can take a few hours before it locks up. I did not get any bad result in the disk check, no bad sectors or anything, it all looked good.

I will try the SATA cables if the problem persists. But even if that worked., I have my games on thos hard drives, and they work falwlessly. The Lockups usually happen when I'm not doing anything taxing for my system, like browsing the web, or listening to music.

Thanks for the help, I'll post here later if the problem is still here. I doubt it just fixed itself like that. The only thing I did was leave ''automatically fix file system errors'' checked for the disk check.

Oh, one thing i forgot to mention. I did installed windows 2 times this week. I did have one failed installation though, it froze on 76 percent and the process up to 76 percent seemed to be a lot slower. I tried it again after that failure and it installed without issue.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009

5. DgtlOutcst

DgtlOutcst Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260 (55nm)
    Interesting. It has not frozen yet... Scared me when TF2 froze, but that just turned out to be a TF2 problem. The PC seems to be functioning like it should.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll post here if it decides to lock up after all.

6. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    what security software are you using, its interesting because you said it freezes on that virus scanning on firefox

try this too

in firefox type in the address bar

about:config (press enter)
    click the il be careful button and in the filter box type "browser.download.manager.scanWhenDone"
    double click it so it changes to false

also what other software is in the background running check your processes see where the spikes occour and if there is a high volume of cpu/ram usage towards a certain process

7. DgtlOutcst

DgtlOutcst Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260 (55nm)
    Okay. The PC worked fine for a while until about half an hour ago. I started up firefox, then foobar2000 to listen to some music. Foobar however, decides to freeze after 4 seconds. I got pissed off because I could not end the process since I did not have access for some weird reason. (Foobar's process did not show description for whatever reason).

Right, I decide to restart my PC. It got stuck on the ''windows is shutting down'' screen. I left it on there for about 10 minutes, then decided to just press the reset button.

Computer boots, then tells me the following: ''A disk read error occured, press ctrl+alt+del to restart''. Ofcourse restarting does not work because it keeps giving that message. I shut down the PC, fiddled with the SATA sables a bit. (basically discconnected and connected them again). Start up the PC and it boots into windows perfectly.

It has givem me the disk read error before. But It seems to be fixed for a while by just shutting down the PC, it just seems like it's randomly giving me the error message.

Any help would be appreciated.

And to answer labyrinth:

I Have not installed any security software. Just running the windows firewall, and windows defender.

I am not noticing anything odd with the cpu/ram usage.

8. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    do u have a raid 0 system perhaps ???

if u do that read error is raid driver related i had that message 1 time today after 2 months of using win 7 it is no biggy just buggy :)

9. DgtlOutcst

DgtlOutcst Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260 (55nm)
    Nope, don't have a RAID setup.

10. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf

are u having the same error now ??

11. DgtlOutcst

DgtlOutcst Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260 (55nm)
    As I stated in my previous post. It sort of determines on how I shut down the PC I think. When it freezes, sometimes hte only thing I can do is reset it, just shut it off.

Usually, not always, I get the disk read error afterwards. The PC worked fine for the rest of this day though. No problems at all.

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Odd suggestion but, try reinstalling your chipset drivers.....seems to fix every problem I have...

13. DgtlOutcst

DgtlOutcst Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260 (55nm)
    Alright, might aswell try.

Thanks for the suggestion.

14. Bay

Bay New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800 GTS (G92)
    I have been using the beta version of Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit without problems so didn't hesitate to buy Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit on release. The only problem is that I'm experiencing the same problem which the OP described. Random freezes where even the task manager won't show up and the only option left is to do hard reset following with a "a disk read error ...".

Since it was a clean install, I thought that my hdd might be the problem. I checked the Samsung website and downloaded their ES tool. There were absolutely no errors after doing lots of testing like deep surface scan etc.. (painful long by 1TB size..). I also did a low level format.

After reading this topic, I also installed the latest chipset drivers for my motherboard, soundcard but the freezes still occur. One may wonder how I manage to actually reboot successfully back into Windows. It's funny but all I have to do is to fiddle around with the SATA cable. Switching SATA ports or just disconnecting/connecting again.

I don't have a RAID system and there is only a single HDD installed. All W7 updates are downloaded and installed. I have absolutely no idea what the problem could be. One thing which caught my attention was the message after a successful reboot that my hdd's drivers were installed successfully.

I'm also wondering if my W7 DVD is somehow corrupted but I highly doubt it since it's an original Microsoft DVD.

15. warlord2000ad

warlord2000ad New Member

Bingo. Same here!

I found this topic searching for "evga 780i disk read error"

i had used windows 7 since 4th august 2009 with no problems until now!

The freezes started just after xmas, around 28th december. I thought bad disk drive as segate barrcuda had known issues. I also considered memory so did a 14 hour memtest86, 11 passes 0 errors. So just to be sure i did a flash of the bios to the latest version.
    So back to a drive fault, first tried several windows repairs on disk and within windows when it actually booted (no errors found), but then i brought 2 new western digital drives so a fresh install, been okay for 2 weeks and it has now started to lock up again. So it is not a hard drive problem...
    So now thinking maybe my external HDD was dieing so just backed that up aswell just incase, but even if i unplug it, it still won't boot up unless i fiddle. goign to leave external drive out for a few days and see if it locks up again :S

But after reading this topic, i do wonder if the 780i board is going faulty!
    I have to power down and unplug and then it might boot, even if it does sometimes i get a further error to do with plugged in usb devices might be causing errors then it reboots to either work or get disc read error again. This is so odd, only a few things can cause it and ive checked/replaced most things now.

With it been disk read error, there is only a handful of things it could be... right? Harddrive, Memory, Motherboard. Disk read error is before windows even gets to loading drives, it could just be the initial check the drive exists and is bootable.

Also see - https://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?high=&m=135277&mpage=1#135277

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010

16. warlord2000ad

warlord2000ad New Member

Update!

It just lagged the machine again.
    I have found this in the event log, it seems to tie up to when it last happened. It occurs several times, see screenshot. http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/196/capture6i.jpg
    This machine is not setup for raid, so have no idea why they are calling it a RaidPort, the hardrive it is referring to is the main system drive, might their be a driver issue with 780i and windows 7?

Event:8
    A request to this device has been cancelled.

Device: \Device\RaidPort0
    Model: WDC WD5001AALS-00J7B1
    Firmware Version: 05.0
    Serial Number: WD-WMATV4251449
    Port: 0

----------

Event:129
    Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued.

17. warlord2000ad

warlord2000ad New Member

Update

Uninstall NV chipset drivers, let windows 7 use its own defaults.

This seems to correct the issue.