PC unstable [SLI]

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Wanny, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Wanny

Wanny Guest

So I added a new card with the exact same CPU OC settings that I had with one card but I got a few hard locks (couldn't even post here).

So I decided to put back stock settings and it didn't even boot (but posted). So I just increased VOLTAGES and it's now working fine now, booted and no hard locks so far.

So does that mean I need to increase voltages because I added a card? If so, which one should I increase?

It's weird cuz it screwed the stable OC settings i had with 1 card...

On the bright side, I tried Crysis in SLI and it was unbelievable. :p

EDIT: So after a few tests I put the same CPU OC settings but decreased ram settings A LOT and I don't get hard locks anymore. It's lame because I don't see why ram would bug out since I have a new SLI card?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2009
  2. auggie dog

auggie dog Member Guru

GPU:
    2x Evga GTX 670 FTW
    I think it may be your psu unless your running the TX950.Then i dont what what might be causing that.Im running a very similar setup and i have no trouble at all.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  3. Wanny

Wanny Guest

I'm running the TX950.. but after a few tests I think my ram because unstable? Weird stuff. I had to increase some QPI voltage and it's fine... I still can't find WHY the ram became unstable with the new SLI setup.

4. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I run my 260 at 666/1404/2304. what speed did you put your memory at? what volts did you increase? gpu volts? are you running your cards with the psu in your sig? lastly not all video cards or any other hardware be it cpu, ram, memory will be capable of the same overclocks

5. auggie dog

auggie dog Member Guru

GPU:
    2x Evga GTX 670 FTW
    I sold one of my GTX 260's so im only using one atm.But adding another card to my system never effected my systems stability with my OC and my system is runing 4.2ghz

6. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Hummmmm well hard system locks are pretty much due to Ram instability right? So far I kept increasing the QPI/DRAM voltage because it was at the lowest (1.2V) and it seems to fix the hard locks but not completely.

I still can't see the relation between SLI setup and ram instability.

7. auggie dog

auggie dog Member Guru

GPU:
    2x Evga GTX 670 FTW
    Do you have speedstep and all that disabled?How about Spread Spectrum.You know about keeping the voltage between the qpi and ram within .5 voltage of each other

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  8. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Nop everything is enabled... seriously it's not going very well. It's hard locking when I try to type here, it's hard locking in "uninstall a program", it's hard locking when I try to start games (crysis works?!).

I'm not really happy... faulty PSU?! I don't get it.

But hard locks when I try to play almost every game (hard lock at game start up). So is it SLI messing up?

9. Ji1986

Ji1986 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    In and oc situation, if you are adding a new card wouldnt you need to increase the SB voltage?

10. Wanny

Wanny Guest

I'll consider this when I try to fix it more seriously tomorrow. But seriously, can a brand new faulty PSU can make hard lock ups? I never ever had any lock ups with my 620w one. I'm gonna check if some cables could be loose, etc.

It's pretty much hard locking in the same places tho! When playing games, when typing here?! or in some folders on my PC. So I kinda refuse to believe that a PSU can cause that SINCE it's in the same places that it is happening!

edit: I'm gonna try unplugging the 2nd card tomorrow and removing it. Then I'll see if it's still locking.

11. auggie dog

auggie dog Member Guru

GPU:
    2x Evga GTX 670 FTW
    Could be a faulty card.But disabling speedstep and speed spectrum etc might help.

12. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Wait, you said that your DRAM voltage is 1.2v ? Or do you have same voltage for QPI and DRAM ?

RAM voltage with i7's should be about 1.6v (max recommended is 1.65v).

13. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Also think

Basically your QPI is getting stressed to much by the data from both cards.

So more voltage is the key.

I recommend around 1.4v for rock solid stableness.

14. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Ok in a few hours I'll be finally in vacation so I will have all the free time I need to fix this beast.

What I'll do is try the computer like it was before (OC settings, card setup, etc) but now with the TX950w instead of my 620w. If it still freezes, then there is something with my PSU or loose cables etc.

Then if it's not freezing, then I'll try to see whats up with the voltages/new card.

Edit: I wonder, could there be some instability with my HDD? I mean, I freeze EVERYTIME I go in "Uninstall a programm", like if the HDD/ram was freaking out trying to show all installed programs I got. I say it freezes there a good 90% most of the time. (It's now kinda my stability benchmark :banana:)

15. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Hey guys I begin to suspect that my HDD is acting up. It's hard locking when I do things related to the HDD or RAM. After a reboot it even performed an enmergency Check disk. I just don't get it... my unstable PC is maybe not even related to SLI. Something happened when I switched PSU.

16. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Hey guys sad news. After trying to boot in stock settings with my TX950 without success (kept freezing at windows logo), I decided to try back my old 620w PSU. Well guess what, it booted perfectly on stock settings the first time (unlike the TX950w).

So hum should I already declare that the brand new TX950 is defective?

Why the new TX950 wouldn't boot in stock settings and yet boot in higher voltages (but unstable)? Could I have broke cables?! I seriously don't know what to think... It's my first Corsair product and it's not looking good. I'm gonna retry the TX950.

edit: When one PSU keep freezing at windows logo on stock settings and the other PSU works perfectly, I can pretty much say that the first PSU is defective out of box? Looks like it's going to be a RMA...

17. auggie dog

auggie dog Member Guru

GPU:
    2x Evga GTX 670 FTW
    RMA that and get a The Corsair HX850w.Its the best psu under a 1000 watts period.

18. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Try that old PSU and if you dont have problems, then your Corsair is dead.

And about HX850, meh. Costs a bit more than TX950 and if you dont need modular PSU, then I see no reason to get HX850.

19. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Yea I switched both PSUs a few time and the TX950 was freezing on boot or in windows. Have to RMA...

20. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Meh **** it just run sli on your current psu.