Catalyst 9.12's due for release Wednesday 16th..

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by ZebMacahan, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070ti
    9.10's are giving me no real problems (apart from DIRT2 being slow when you're outside of your trailer and white lines/pixels in interior shadows in Crysis DX10) If they fix the anisotropic filtering, which was broken in the 9.11's, I'll try the new driver.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  2. chuuey

chuuey Guest

only thing i want them to add is overscan enabled by default, though i haven't tested it a while with my tv, but i hate installing ccc just to fill my screen on it...

3. Vinnie

Vinnie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Apple M2 Pro
    I really hope for my friend that ATI fixed the brown/grey screen.

4. drouge

drouge Master Guru

GPU:
    2x HIS HD5970
    ATI, alway's trying to play catchup with their drivers.

5. TDurden

TDurden Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
    to be honest, I am worried driver quality might not improve and might even deteriorate now when Larrabee will not be released and nVidia is so late + has problems with manufacture + targets professional market more then before.
    ATI may just have a bit less motivation now when they are the top

6. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    i guess the main thing is to sell cards then work out the bugs when they have a chance....

7. drouge

drouge Master Guru

GPU:
    2x HIS HD5970
    Sounds like GM, only they never work the bugs out.

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Lately I've only used my ATI card when needing to reinstall Vista/Win7...but previously when using my 4850 full time, I never experienced driver issues. Same goes for nVidia cards. In a lot of cases, hardware incompatibilities cause what appear to be driver issues. Yes, I know, it's hard to believe that 2 pieces of hardware can be incompatible with each other. For those of that were building computers 10 years ago, you should be aware that they existed then and still exist now. I built several computers "back in the day" where I used motherboards that wouldn't accept Creative sound cards and ATI graphics cards being installed at the same time. Also had motherboards where a Creative sound card couldn't be installed in PCI3 without causing IRQ conflicts with graphics cards. My clients rely on me to build the most stable systems possible. I've learned to accept a few challenges and even modify configurations during setup to ensure 100% stability at time of delivery. So, instead of immediately blaming the drivers....why not try to find the underlying problem? In some cases, you'll find a compatibility issue exists and not a driver issue. In some cases, you'll find driver conflicts. Creative used to be real good for writing drivers that would conflict with others. I previously quit using Creative cards due to conflicts with some VIA chipset drivers....and some ATI driver releases.

It has been shown that in most cases, quad-fire and quad-SLI don't scale properly. This is not a software issue, but rather a hardware limitation. They might be able to improve the scaling slightly, but they can't eliminate the problem.

4x5770 should be nearly similar in performance to 3x5870, which is bottlenecked by the processor based on Hilbert's HD5870 Crossfire review. nVidia has the same scaling issues with Quad-SLI with GT200 and have used driver updates to minimize the issue as much as possible. It's impossible to write a driver to eliminate the problem of the processor simply not being able to adequately feed data to 4 GPU's to allow proper scaling. Ideally, 4 GPU's should be 4x as fast as a single GPU of same model...but it's simply not possible.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  9. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    It's mainly the implementation of the way the workload is shared that gives us horrible scaling. Split frame and AFR rendering are simply rubbish

10. getsuga12

getsuga12 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX870M
    i hope these drivers fix the damn issue with The Saboteur, tried the work-around and it didn't work for me at all.

11. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Guest

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I think the game is getting a patch for that, I believe it's in QA now.

12. Liniuxs

Liniuxs Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI HD5770
    Yes, The Saboteur shoud get patch, because this is EA mistake not drivers.

13. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    What problems do you guys have with saboteur ?

14. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    It doesn't work on the majority of ATI cards out there without a rather silly workaround.

15. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Really ? it works fine on my end. got any link to the workaround or problems ?

16. Liniuxs

Liniuxs Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI HD5770
  17. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/240/346070.page

This work around is entirely base upon CPU processing power & will possibly only work for certain systems.

Steps to turn off cores: (For Windows 7)

1.) Open MSCONFIG (You can open it by entering MSCONFIG in the search bar)
    2.) Select the “Boot” tab
    3.) Click on “Advanced Options”
    4.) Check “Number of Processors”
    5.) Select “1” from dropdown menu
    6.) Click “Apply”
    7.) Restart machine

Steps to turn off cores: (For Windows Vista)

1.) Open MSCONFIG – Start> Run > Type MSCONFIG
    2.) Select the “BOOT.INI” tab
    3.) Click on “Advanced Options…”
    4.) Select the check box for /NUMPROC= set it to 1 & click “OK”
    5.) Click “Apply”
    6.) Restart machine

Unfortunately, the game's poor coding resulted in the recommend system requirements suggesting the use of a 2.8GHz Quad Core CPU, and as such The Saboteur runs abysmally when you disable three of the CPU's four cores, making the 'workaround' beyond useless.

18. getsuga12

getsuga12 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX870M
    yea, and i'm stuck on a low-end dual core, so imagine what happens when i disable just one of them. I still get the incessant freezing with the workaround, urgh.

Well if that's the case, I wonder what else could come with the 9.12. Possible performance increase for the HD5000 cards? (like what the HD4000's got for their first few drivers)

19. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Guest

GPU:
    some green some red
    In 9.12 I expect to see fixes in
    EA's shift
    GTA4
    Dirt 2
    Sabotour
    F@HOME FOR 5XXX CARDS!!
    Stalker series(hopefully)

I would also like to see performance tweaks accross the board and new crossfire implementation accross the 5xxx cards, especially with certain steam games. A new thing to play with in ccc would be cool but that really is wishfull thinking, allways hoping for automatic game profiling but I doubt we will ever see that one lol.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  20. TheKarmakazi

TheKarmakazi Member

GPU:
    mountains
    I got my 3x5870 churning away. I thought drivers are decent, im sure 9.12 will imprive things. Better than with 4xxx series