Strange problem with pc. Please urgen help

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Nerox, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Nerox

Nerox Master Guru

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE 6950 2GB
    Hi guys,its been a while since my last login to the forum.
    Well,I have a really strange problem,since some time ago my pc doesnt boot up. when I turn on my computer I can hear the sound of the vga fan ond also the cpu fan but my screen is black,like if my pc wasnt turned on at all.it just stays black and nothing happen.
    One thing I notice is that,when my computer boots fine and everything is OK when I turn it on I can hear the vga fan speed at its maximun and is pretty loud,but then in decreases its speed immediately and then I can see my motherboard logo in the screen and the process of booting is OK,then I can see the windows logo,etc,everything fine. BUT now when I turn on my pc I can hear the vga fan at its maximum but now this time it doesn decrease its speed and nothing appears in my screen it stays black and the vga fan continue spinning at its maximun and the only thing I cand do is to turn off my pc manually.
    Another thing I notice is that after not usign my computer a couple of days then when I turn it on it boots fine with no problem and I can use my pc just fine,then the next day when I want to use it again the problem appears once again,and the only thing I can do is to wait 1-2 days to use it again properly,its like if it needs some time to "rest" before using it..or something like if it doesnt have enough battery to function..I dont know what to do guys.Please help me in any way you can please!

2. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    Well if you have on-board video take out the gpu and try it without. Or get your hands on a friends/cheap gpu to test.

Looks like it's gpu or psu at this stage.

Try booting with one stick of ram as well. (and in diff slots).

Also check all your connectors to gpu plus it's worth taking it out and checking if theres a large dust build up. Check you havent got any loose wires or a wire that might be being shorted. It's quite easy for something to touch the mobo and cause a short of some sort.

Did you recently change anything before this started happening?

3. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    Try a CR2032. $2...

Seems simple and pointless, but is worth a try.

4. magicdave26

magicdave26 Banned

GPU:
    S-HD 5770 1GB 1000 / 1400
    Possible GPU overheating issue, remove the fan and heatsink, apply thermal paste and clean it, reassemble it and try again

5. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    maybe its a faulty comos, try and take the battery out for few min, 5min is enough, put it back in and load optimized defaults in bios restart pc and reconfigure it..

6. Alec**

Alec** Maha Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 5850 1GB H²0
    Does sound like something a bit dodgy, check all the basics first, as in power cables firmly in, GPU slotted in fully other things like that.

7. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    I was thinking the same thing, but my idea involves replacing the battery.

8. Joohan

Joohan Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus AMD Radeon R9 Nano
    That sounds pretty much like your psu is dying. I had similar issues with one of my earlier builds and it indeed was the psu that was faulty. Or if not, then it might me your ram, so try to run your computer with only one stick at a time and in different slots, as someone here already suggested.

9. Nerox

Nerox Master Guru

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE 6950 2GB
    Thanks a lot guys for your comments. My computer is now fine for almost 4 days, what I did was: I check all the wires and cables and make sure they were all connected correctly,then I change my vga card to the other pcie slot,also I change something in the board that said clear RTC or something like that, I change that for a couple of minutes and then put it to it original place. Then, after put everything back together,I boot my computer and there wasnt any problem at all, and its been 4 days without problems,hopefully it will stay like that.

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Next time it fails to boot....take the side cover off and watch the CPU fan. I experienced a similar problem with my X2 5600 when it's fan failed. The processor heats up very quickly causing the thermal protection to "kick-in" and prevent the system from booting to protect the processor. Regardless of the CPU cooler brand...fans do fail from time to time.

11. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+ RX480 4GB
    This happened to me, too. My 8800GT had died after 2 years of service. It was not overheating related.
    Simply put: replacing the graphics card solved the issue.

EDIT: But it seems your issue was different, huh?