New pc for gaming

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Crimson King, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Crimson King

Crimson King Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 5870
    hi guys it's my firts post here. i'm tinking about changing my old pc (P4 3200+ cpu, ati 9600XT) with something a bit more "up to date" :bang:. i was thinking about this:

cpu: i7 920
    cpu cooler: Cooler Master V8
    mobo: Asus Rampage II GENE
    video: ati 5870 or 5850 (let's see what the prices turn out to be after christmas) planning Crossfire anyway.
    RAM: DDR3 1333Mhz PC10666 4GB Kingston HyperX CL7 planning to go 6gb on triple channel soon as i can (money issues :p)
    PSU: modular corsair 850W (to be sure when Xfiring and overclocking)
    Case: Antec Nine Hundred Two

it's ok or do i have to change something?
    and i'm planning to go 1366 because i will overclock and i suppose the next best cpus will be on this soket, even if money wise an i7 860 on P7P55D will ensure better performance (at least at std frequencies) and some money saving. that's what i understood from reading a lot of reviews. i'd like to go for the 1366 route but if you tell me it's stupid i can change my mind.

thanks in advance for the advices.
    and sorry for my bad english :bang:

2. Manu2009

Manu2009 Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 570 DS HD
    If you plan on overclocking, I,d suggest a better CPU heatsink.

Good ones are the Noctua D14 or is little brother the U12P, Megahalem (you'll have to buy 2 fans thought to get the most out of it), Corsair H50.

Also, good airflow and space in your case will be a most if you plan on ocing and putting in crossfires those new Ati Cards. May I suggest the 1200 if you want to stick with Antec or maybe the Haf932 from coolermaster.

Other then that, seems good. I'd go with the 850tx from corsair as a psu.

3. Crimson King

Crimson King Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 5870
    thanks for the repy.

ok for the heatsink. between these i'd go for megalhelms.

why do you advise the tx psu from corsair? i'd go modular for better cable managing.

at last the case...i'd like to go fulltower but i have space issues. even the 922 is too big. i can fit 922 in my "computer space" but it will be at 5 cm form the wall behind and form the shelf upon, not that good for airflow.

4. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    the new noctua has knocked the megahalem off the top spot for i7 cooling

5. Manu2009

Manu2009 Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 570 DS HD
    Heatsink: it's one of the best, I doubt you will be disapointed. The D14 is better but it's your choice ! :)

PSU: Corsair have really good psu and I like non-modular, it's just my personal choice. If you don't unplug/plug too much your cable, you won't have a problem with a modular psu. Go with the hx series like the 750hx psu.

Case: I see your point. Stick with the 902, it's just going to be a little more packed inside your case but you're temperature shouldn't suffer from it too much if you can manage fresh air inside the case. Be sure to check if your case is large enough to fit the heatsink too ! Or you will be mad at yourself after :p

Gl ! :)

Edit: Heatsink chart here. Hope it'll help you choose !

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  6. Crimson King

Crimson King Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 5870
    reading here and there i understood the megahelms will fit in the 902. can't say the same about the noctua atm.

7. CocainHore

CocainHore Master Guru

GPU:
    4850 \ waiting for Fermi
    the older Noctua is cheaper, i own it and its a high class superb cooler for OC, if you are limited on money no need to go for the new Noctua or anything more expensive than that.

second - i recommend you taking a bigger case, with the new GPU coming from nVidia and also ATI's 5xxx series its not wise to take a mid tower case specially if you plan on SLI\CF for 2 cards.

Antec 1200 will work for you better than the 902.

8. @renadier

@renadier Master Guru

GPU:
    2X AMD R280X @ 1072/1250
    hello,
    could be wrong here but i would think dual channel or quad channel ram for a quadcore...might be wrong but maths in head say different.after all you could double your though put of the motherboard if you went quad channel?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  9. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    good choice, now there is a smart man who knows to pick his motherboard!

get a thermalright 120 ultra extreme (for socket 1366), and you will have no worries ever

[​IMG]

this monster is a thing of beauty and dont worry my LGA 775 extreme ultra 120 fits snuggly in my antec nine hundred

Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  10. @renadier

@renadier Master Guru

GPU:
    2X AMD R280X @ 1072/1250

11. Crimson King

Crimson King Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 5870
    so guys after a long period of meditation :p i bought that!!

cpu: i7 920
    cpu cooler: stock (thinking about what to buy :p)
    mobo: Asus Rampage II GENE
    video: Sapphire HD 5870 planned Crossfire.
    RAM: DDR3 1333Mhz PC10666 4GB Kingston HyperX CL7 planning to go 6gb on triple channel soon as i can (money issues )
    PSU: modular corsair 850W
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 922

i've got one more question to you guys. water cooling or air cooling? i'm not skilled in overcklocking but i do really want to oc. is my psu capable of supplying 5870CF AND liquid cooling? if not i'm going to buy noctua d14 or something else (this time really after christmas :p).

12. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    i would get the haf932 over the 922 as I think it's bigger.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-010-NC

i use this one. comes with 2 fans but i replaced one of them with a delta 120mm case fan that shoves more air (over 100cfm). had to whack my volts up to 1.34v on the cpu as mine is a co but still my temps dont go over 65c.

with a do you will be looking at less voltage for 4ghz as they are better overclockers for the most part...

i would say rest of build is fine. i wouldnt get the gene though...either the deluxe v2 or the gigabyte ud5.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  13. Crimson King

Crimson King Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 5870
    thanks but i already bought that :p

the haf 932 doesn't fit in my computer space.

14. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
  15. Crimson King

Crimson King Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 5870
    thanks a lot! i'm reading every guide i can to oc my 920. for the cooler the Noctua NH-U12P it's pretty cool but the chart posted above say that's 2° hotter than a megalhelms and their (at least here in Italy) are priced similarly. probably the NH-D14 it's the best solution, a bit pricey tho...let's see what the prices turn out to be after christmas...

16. Mythstery

Mythstery Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 classified
    I have the i5 750 2.66ghz stock ocd to 3.8ghz using the Corsair H50... i must say i LOVE this little guy and i only pays $55 usd for it. (thanks FRY's)

With ram prices these days the difference between 1333 and 1600 is not that much. i would go with 1600 for more allowed OC room.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145260 would be good.

17. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    If your new to this kind of stuff, there is no need to go with the most expensive and best build. It's like buying Ferrari and learning how to drive.

I had NH-U12P SE1366 and it got my i7 920 d0 to 4,3GHz.

You will be fine with air cooling, learn something about overclocking and then step to watercooling when you think that your ready.

5870 does not have problems running games without watercooling. If you dont have money burning a hole to your pocker, dont get watercooling.