Danamics LMX Liquid Metal CPU cooler arrives for 159 EUR

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

Completely pointless -- Danish cooling firm Danamics introduced the LMX the company's second-generation liquid metal cooler. This new processor cooler will be available for 159EUR excl. VAT that's still...

More...

2. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Damn liquid metal , it should blow water, why it doesn't ? :)

3. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    surface area of the cooling fins.
    water is great because you attach a huge radiator compared to even big aircoolers.
    this is no larger than the top aircoolers, so its hard to outperform them.

4. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Also the quite strong magnet inside your PC doesn't sound too good.

5. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    SilenX fans are a scam. It decreases cooler manufacturer's credibility. 21.8-28.6 dBA at 1m (depending on direction) with 2000RPM 120mm fan is a joke.

Specs say 1180G heatsink only. When we add fan, housing and the fact that whole pump mechanism is on the top of this heatsink, it's even less cool.

It would have to beat Prolimatech Megahalems, Thermalright Ultra-120 Rev C, IFX-14, and Noctua NH-D14 with huge margin to make people consider buying it. 159EUR + VAT is a lot (194EUR with 22% VAT) - we're talking about money range, where people think about water setups.

6. Chock

Chock Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x670GTX @40"+26" Samsung
    these hybrid attempts at liquid cooling will always fail

7. Zyrocenus

Zyrocenus Master Guru

GPU:
    Saph 4890@1033\1200@1.45V
    Not to be the devils advocate here but.... :)

What about TEC Hybrids? :D I have a cooler master V10 TEC Hybrid -yes I AM stupid for paying $165CDN for a heatsink lol-. I read MANY reveiws on the product before buying it and most of the reveiwers were unimpressed or expected something more from it. The cooler actually DOES perform VERY well. As one reveiw site said, the TEC only fires up about a certain temp. 45 I think it was. At my settings to the left I idle @ 29-30 on the CPU and 24ish on the board. Under full load she may spike to 55-58 on the CPU but then the TEC fires up and within seconds my thermals are back down into the 37-40 degree range. I can run 1.65V thru this lil Q9550 when I'm tryin to set a new personal OC record for myself and even then it wont cross 65 degrees C.

I was also very interested initially in bypassing the TEC so as to make it run 24\7. After MUCH searchin on how to do this I found a site that actually attempted it. They blew the TEC out within a month or 2 I think they said -they said that even without the TEC functioning the V10 is still a powerful air sink-. Its just not meant to run 24\7. I was a lil saddened by this news but the results I mention above are quite good I think so making the TEC 24\7 isnt necessary I guess.

Now to put this back on track.... maybe this 2nd shot at Hybrid metal cooling will have much better results. It said the unit is sheilded so it shouldnt be any more dangerous than yer speakers, sub woofer or super big CRT -any one still got one of those?- near yer comp lolz. As the article says right off the bat "Completely pointless" well that may be but has anyone found any reveiws on the cooler? I'm lookin now... will post if I find some.

I'm just sayin we shouldn't necessarily dismiss this without a lil look see at what it can do. I'm glad I got my V10 TEC... not glad I paid out the a$$ for it but, at least I dont ever have to worry about my CPU or RAM goin thermal :) If this liquid metal cooler is comparable to the V10 the cost may be semi "justified?" This cooler is CERTAINLY much smaller and lighter than the V10... correct me if I'm wrong on that one but I think the v10 is the heaviest cooler on the market right now.... might be mistaken.

Zyro

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  8. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Should be, if you dont count in special editions.

Scythe Mugen 2 Copper = 1,8Kg (Not sure if this includes fan)
    Thermalright TRUE 120 Copper = 1,9Kg (Heatsink only)

9. Zyrocenus

Zyrocenus Master Guru

GPU:
    Jesus thats HEAVY.... do they come with props or hangars or somethin? Thats quite a bit of weight to have have sitting perpendicular to the ground on that biscuit they make mobos out of. Or does it come with a warning?

***CAUTION*** For desktop PCs only not recommended for tower chasis ***CAUTION*** :D

Still no luck findin a review for the cooler mentioned here tho.... have been kinda busy at work... but I'm still lookin

Zyro

10. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    the v10 is indeed a very good cooler, but it only shows itself with ridiculous amounts of heat, when other massive towers start to hit their limits.

11. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+ RX480 4GB
    If you think about it, the very concept of this cooler is pure genius. I do think it sounds a little expensive, though. Or actually, a lot. It probably beats ordinary heatpipe technology, but not by enough to justify the price.

12. SolidBladez

SolidBladez Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti OC
    From the back of that SilenX fan, it looks like one of my crappy Thermaltake fans. :biggun:

Judging by Hilbert's opening sentence, sounds like he is ecstatic with this type of cooler. :thumbup:

13. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    I was very interested in the Danamics CPU cooler when they realeased that 1st one, which didn't perform well really.

Really cant see it being any better than any other highend HSF

14. Zyrocenus

Zyrocenus Master Guru

GPU:
    This is true... in my old case with less ventilation i beleive it had to work harder and idled slightly higher. I recently picked up the Cooler Master HAF932 full tower and I am very impressed with it.....as much so as a person can be of a case lol

I'm in the process of switchin out all my non LED fans with Red LED fans and painting the "HAF" thats stamped to the side of the case chrome Red. My intent is to FINALLY have a machine worthy of entering the rig of the month contests. Gotta get a move on too now that theres prizes!!!

On topic I havent found much of anythin concrete info wise on this cooler yet... i'm lookin in the wrong places so far or the tech community was SO unenthused about the original that they are passing this one over... or possibly the company isnt giving out review samples... but thats just bad PR, cant be the case :3eyes:

Zyro

15. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    It may be better in terms of heat transfer - from base to distant fins, but I can tell that Megahalems' top fins are pretty hot when my CPU is loaded. It would prove that good heatpipes do the job.

Maybe if I have money to burn, I'll upgrade the cooling, but the greatest issue now is not CPU, but graphics cards. On the other hand, I'd hate to burn tons of $$$ for 2 full-cover water blocks (and CPU, NB, big radiator, a few fans)

High-end cards draw more power and are more difficult to cool down. They might try doing something like this cooler, but for GPU. Heatpipes block airflow, so if they effectively transfered heat to distant parts of fins by using liquid metal technology, it might work quite well.

16. Zyrocenus

Zyrocenus Master Guru

GPU:
    I requested a review sample LMAO

I requested a review sample from the company. I doubt I'll get it but I used the company I work for as applicant. LOL We do elevators and hydraulics and the controllers that work them. These controllers do get VERY warm and are crammed in poorly ventilated boxes in poorly ventilated 45 degree + control rooms. Proly an over application of the product in question but if it works, who cares!?!? lol Seriously tho we do have some overheating probs with our equipment if environmental conditions are not met -and they rarely are-. I just hope Danamics sees it that way. That would be SO cool.

Hilbert!!! If I somehow get a sample can I send it to you for you to have a look see? If I'm allowed to do that with a review sample that is....assuming you dont already have one.... I'll go sit down now lol

Zyro

17. DeMS

DeMS Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 270X HAWX 2GB
    Looks as promising as inversely appealing due to the price.

Very interesting way to move the fluid, I would also be wary of the electromagnetical field so close to the CPU.

To someone who asked : I still have a CRT working great. Wouldn't change it for a LCD unless it was one of those new 100Hz models :>

18. Zyrocenus

Zyrocenus Master Guru

GPU:
    That was me askin! lol I found it VERY hard to ditch my perfectly functional 21" CRT as well.... 2 things swayed me:

1. I was terribly afraid my desk would buckle under weight and render my legs and loins useless lol

2. I wanted some space on my desk man! My keyboard barely fit on the desk cuz of the monitors depth! That thing was HUGE and damn did it get warm. I hade a small decorative candle on a thin dish up top and the thing started to melt!! lol

I thought that the response times and colour representation would be terrible on an LCD, and they are, but only on the older \ cheaper 8ms+, crappy contrast ratio models. I own an LG Flatron 22" W2242TQ-BF 2ms, 75Hz and I can tell you its FAR superior to my 21"CRT in every way. Its lighter -goin to a lan with my 21" CRT was suicide-, uses less power, is thinner and thus, needs less depth \ space on my desk despite the fact that its display area is 1 inch larger and widescreen. My whites are better than my CRTs and my blacks are just that...black with no annoying white backlight border. Best of all it was under 200 bux! I know you can spend MUCH more but other than physical size I dont think it can get much better without goin holographic or VR or something :)

The ONLY thing that bothered me was that I was buying a new monitor before my CRT croaked... and its at my friends house now STILL workin just fine...glad I decided not to wait till it died lol

Oh man... I just rambled on about my reasoning from movin away from a CRT without even askin you why you wont move away from yers! My bad! SO why are you hanging onto it? :)

Zyro

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  19. Chock

Chock Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x670GTX @40"+26" Samsung
    hehe the problem is. for the price of this cooler you can actualy just buy a pump, a waterblock and a radiator. and if you dont care for the stuff beeing inside the case you just take it outside mount a cooler and you will already have better performance. external radiators with a push configuration will destroy this sucker anyday :)

the price makes this pointless :)

20. Jcazz

Jcazz Master Guru

GPU:
    Tri-fire 5870
    if you are serouis about water cooling...then buy a water Chiller with a 1/5hp unit...Ebay has them for 300bucks and will drop your water temps to 35-40F...and if u want more then add a TEC unit..

Still cheaper than Phasechangecooling, unless u want to spend a grand.