Could use some advice on buying a new Sound Card

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by ADM86, Dec 2, 2009.

1. ADM86

ADM86 Member

GPU:
    BFG GTX 280 OC
    Hi,first off thank you for your attention:)

Ok, I could use some advice on buying a new sound card because my current one a "SB Audigy 2 ZS" just doesn't work anymore and honestly that's to be expected, it's a pretty old card.I am actually looking for a Sound Card that can handle gaming and Movie watching,so far one that got my attention is the Auzentech X-Fi Forte 7, but from what I have read(not that much) it has a lot of drivers/Software problems, something that my current one has and that if could be avoided it would be great.

I am looking for one that can be connected to the digital audio In of a samsung HT-Z220 home theater I just got(camed free with a samsung LN40B650 40" 1080p LCD TV) so I can watch movies in the tv with it.. and the other need or use for the SC would be gaming.

What Sound card would you recommend me? is the Auzentech X-Fi Forte 7 the best choice?

Home theater : http://www.samsung.com/in/consumer/...em/HT-Z220T/XTL/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail

Anyway,thank you for your attention and if you can help me that would be perfect and greatly appreciated.(English is my second language, so excuse me if I have grammars errors ...and don't hesitate to tell me about them so I can improve)

2. live4life

live4life Banned

GPU:
    Asus EnGTX295
    X-Fi Forte is good but has a bit problem as i read in some forums....this baby u have can hadle dts and dd with no problem just use the spdif or optical..differ for the card u choose....my advise is the new auzen x-fi home theatre or the a xonar d2x if u bugget is high we talk about for better staff....feel free to ask anything u need m8ty!

3. Alexis444

Alexis444 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5700XT RAW
    Xonar its better:banana:

4. live4life

live4life Banned

GPU:
    Asus EnGTX295
    yep we all know that hehe...but x-fi has other avantages

5. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    My vote goes for what you see in my specs.

6. live4life

live4life Banned

GPU:
    Asus EnGTX295
    thats it m8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this is rocky SD but the m8 there need a SD for HT i prefeare mine that u see in my specs its a real kickass baby!!!!!!

7. ADM86

ADM86 Member

GPU:
    BFG GTX 280 OC
    Thanks for your help live4life,nvlddmkm and Alexis444, I think that from what you told me I am gonna end up buying an Asus Xonar HDAV1.3 Deluxe or the ASUS Xonar Essence STX, it all depends now which one I find here in Colombia.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  8. live4life

live4life Banned

GPU:
    Asus EnGTX295
    Asus Xonar HDAV1.3 Deluxe is your baby m8 if you dont find it go to ASUS Xonar Essence ST casue its 7.1 and pci

the ASUS Xonar Essence STX is 2 channel only and its pcie

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  9. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    If your into Home theater, I would suggest getting a card that supports HDMI and the newer audio specs. There are only two add-in cards that do at this point in time.
    The Auzen Home Theater HD 7.1 and the ASUS HDAV 1.3 Deluxe 7.1

From my testing the Forte works excellent. Usually the issue people have can be traced to issues other then the soundcard.

10. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    Well, it has "Virtual 7.1"!! It's the next best thing....I guess. LOL Sounds great through my cans (Sony MDR-7506). My girlfriends cans are a different story however. :D

11. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    That is not quite right, The STX support surround sound but the output in analog is only stereo.
    You can connect up a digital surorund system and use the DDL encoder to get surround on this card.
    The virtual is Dolby Headphone and it is only 5.1 IIRC.

12. live4life

live4life Banned

GPU:
    Asus EnGTX295
    thats true support multichannel suround sound but down sampling in stereo 2 channel output

13. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Yes, the STX supports surround sound but only outptus stereo through analog and supports 5.1 over digital.
    The Essence ST supports 7.1 over analog and 5.1 over digital.;)

14. izikog

izikog Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6950@70 910/1400
    I have the creative PCI Express X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro Series and I am happy with it.
    Connected with optical cable to my Yamaha receiver.

15. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    I am running an Auzentech Forte in my main box.

Having said that, the "warble" and audioDG leak are not down to the user and are serious problems that are not being addressed MONTHS later.

I cannot recommend Auzentech to anyone (especially if you are using Vista or 7). Their tech support is atrocious and the fact that they are restricted by Creative's seemingly non existant driver release schedule only compounds the problem.

I am in no way endorsing ASUS for "EAX/Hardware sound" gaming because GX just plain sucks in my experience but as most new games don't take advantage of Hardware sound or EAX, the ASUS is the better choice until Creative (and by association, Auzentech) get their respective acts together (which doesn't look like it is happening any time soon).

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009

16. live4life

live4life Banned

GPU:
    Asus EnGTX295
    but no HD audio support....so i only for standar output....i have a titanium champion too....its kinda good but very very cheapy made card..........

17. live4life

live4life Banned

GPU:
    Asus EnGTX295
    auzen makes creative to developing better drivers and their hardware is unbeatable vs creative....my thinking is creative ask help from auzen make em stand uo their feet again,,,the have no money and try everything to be alive...no money for driver manufaction...anw i prefere auzen cards with x-fi or c-media DSPs....as for the GX2 of asus works pretty go! at least no alchemy and useless console changing everytime i need to play a game or something...its no perfect as manny said but emulation can improved cause its the software but hardware needs full replacemnt or recycle bin ....xDi lke GX2 but dont not complete my needs as advance gamer and sound lover..:banana:

18. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Hardware sound kicks the crap out of anything software WHEN it is implemented properly. These days, developers don't bother with hardware sound so there is really no point in having it UNLESS you play older games (which I do). R6 Raven Shield with hardware sound/EAX truly demonstrates the superiority of hardware sound/EAX but this is also a 6+ year old game.

I never have to use Alchemy for my older games and saying Alchemy sucks but GX is good is a redundant argument IMHO. Neither of them are particularly good. As for console changes, again, this isn't something that affects me as I have separate PCs for non gaming applications (I realise this is not the case for everyone).

Auzentech can't help Creative do anything as Auzentech's cards rely directly on Creative's driver software (which hasn't been updated in months). Creative seems to be relying on Daniel K to support their cards these days :bang:

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  19. izikog

izikog Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6950@70 910/1400
  20. live4life

live4life Banned

GPU:
    Asus EnGTX295