5xxx Series Flashing Guide: Unlocking your cards true potential

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Passion Fruit, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Jonp382

Jonp382 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 5770 Vapor-X
    Will those 5770 BIOS work with any 5770? Would they work with a 5750, or would I have to dig up some 5750 BIOS as well?

BTW really nice OC results...holy ****. 1 GHz for everyone it seems like.

2. 3T3RN4L

3T3RN4L Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5870 1035/5320mhz
    uhh,your sure it was the cards bios? maybe there were left over traces of nvidia drivers and physx drivers clashing with the card causing it to under perform. i had that issue with my 5870 when i upgraded to w7. used driver sweeper and found nvidia chipset driver,display drivers still buried away in my hard drive so i wiped'em out.after that i've been getting insane performance with mine. defiantly more then 2x the performance over my 4870 i had.

i thought only flashing the bios will allow ati overdrive higher available overclocks,that's bout it

3. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Then how would swapping a BIOS magically make traces of Nvidia drivers disappear?

Either way, there way no remnants simply because the card was placed in the system and then a new install followed.

PhysX drivers aren't just for Nvidia cards, they're generic and are needed for every game that uses PhysX, as it also runs on your CPU if you don't have a card capable of PhysX.

4. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    A 5770 BIOS will not work with a 5750.

And yeah, 1ghz is pretty easy on all 5k cards, I think.

I must say, I am skeptical of this magical performance improvement. I think it's coming from the OC.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009

5. DStealth

DStealth Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GX 1080Ti@2088/12000
    No ...
    I can get over 20k with ease...here is what my teammate is capable with 5850:
    And no extreme cooling used, so 22-23k with i7@5300-5400mhz and GPU@1.2ghz core are in range. ;)

6. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Hmmm well i suggest he submits it to hwbot then :)

im like 16th i think.

7. MatsoniA

MatsoniA Member

Wondering if anyone can help me out with a little problem reguarding this.
    I flashed my crossfire 5870's fine and im able to overclock the core to about 940 but whenever i overclock it past 950, My pc will just restart during games and graphic benchmarks.
    Anyone have any idea what this could be as obviously its limiting me overclocking them anymore.
    Its not to do with the voltage because im running it at 940 core at the moment and stock voltage and everything is fine but soon as i take it past the 950 mark or higher it will just restart even if i up the voltage aswell.

I have a 950 watt psu so i would have thought that would be fine.

8. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    drivers you on ?

also how much voltage have you tried?

9. MatsoniA

MatsoniA Member

im on 9.10 Drivers, ive taken the voltage quite far up aswell i tryed it at 1.3 ish and the temps are fine so it cant be a heat thing and it still does it, infact it seems to restart even quicker if i do that.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  10. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    Damn he's really pushing that hard for the sake of a 2k gain over what i get @4.05Ghz and max vcore on the gpu of 1.25v, great score though

11. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    I would try the 9.11s and see if that makes a difference.

12. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    It's not coming from the OC, considering i was using AMD GPU Clock Tool to overclock previously to get around the driver limit.

I've been at 1000/5200 since i baught the card.

13. BlueDragon

BlueDragon Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870
    Great guide “passion fruit” I was thinking the same thing if I overclock to 900 core the limit in ccc the overclock is sometimes slower then stock which is strange my cards before this one was 2xGTX 260-216 if I overclock them the frame rates would go higher which is as it should be but not on my 5870 which tbh it does go higher fps sometimes then other times slower.

I will give your guide a go and do a flash and see if my benchmarks increase on stock or not can you tell me if the asus bios is a good one as I have everything asus except my sapphire card so I would like to flash to that bios but if the msi one is better then I will flash that one instead.

Let me know cheers!:cheers:

14. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    I believe both give the same results, so you may choose either.

Of course flashing the BIOS will eliminate the limit of the drivers, but i believe this problem is limited to some people who have the reference BIOS only. Some people do, some may not... of course, the only people you see talking about it are the people that have realised they aren't performing as they should.

My card and indeed other peoples, were slower to begin with. Overclocking did help, but not to the extent of getting the performance it should have been. Flashing to the MSI BIOS has provided me with the performance i expected when i baught the card.

15. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    id love to see before and after benchies for those who try it.

Did the MSI guy post the promised unlocked 5850 bios on these forums yet?

16. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    There's a link to the 5850 BIOS in my original post

17. BlueDragon

BlueDragon Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870
    Thanks for that my card as the reference bios installed so I am sure if it is holding me back only one way to found out is to flash so I will do some benchmarks before and after and let you know.

There is one thing about the 5870 I am a little disappointed with is when I enable AA on games say if I run street fighter 4 benchmark and enable AA at 4x the frame rate drops by half and 8x well it was around 75fps which on my nvidia cards at 16QQAA was running over double same thing on far cry 2 it may be because these are “THE WAY IT’S MENAT TO BE PLAYED” games not sure.

18. Tattoer

Tattoer Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD5850
    /edit

nwm...hade to much weed :banana:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  19. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+ RX480 4GB
    Actually Passion Fruit, in some games it runs CPU PhysX even if you have a GPU capable of PhysX. :)

20. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Yeah but my point was, PhysX drivers don't interfere with ATI drivers or hardware.