SoundBlaster Audigy, distorted sound output

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by some1, Dec 24, 2002.

1. some1

some1 Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX285 OCX
    Hi, I have been experiencing distorted sound on all sound output, windows startup sounds, and in games.

I spoke to creative tech support, they suggested I install their update, but that did not help.

No matter what drivers I try, the problem remains now... any ideas?

2. David

David Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6700 XT
    What type of distortion? Have you checked to make sure no outside source is causing interference?

3. some1

some1 Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX285 OCX
    OK, its the typical problem that has been reported numerous times by other audigy users, I have done a fresh install of XP, and get scratchy audio, and distorted sound, the scratching sound happens whenever the hard disc is accessed, bear in mind I am using a scsi hard drive.

I am using the Compaq creative drivers, the CD that was downloadable from Compaqs website.

So, how do I deal with this?

4. Gzilla

Gzilla Member

Is your SCSI controller on-board or is it a SCSI controller card? If it's a card, is it in the slot next to your Audigy? Could be interfering due to it's proximity with the sound card. Also have you checked your IRQ assignments. Hopefully you're not sharing an interrupt with the SCSI controller.

If you haven't already, try changing the PCI slot your card is installed in. This remedied my install headache. Good Luck

5. cloudman

cloudman Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus CU II GTX 780
    Runnin a via chipset? Try the pci latency patch. Also try setting pci latency in bios.

6. bonov

bonov Guest

There's so much info about this these issues on the net (or atleast take the effort to search this forum) I advise you search, search and oh I almost forgot...search.:book:

(no offense and nothing personal)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2003
  7. some1

some1 Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX285 OCX
    Sure, I have tried a lot of things to try and get this sound card working.

My system:

Abit KT7A 1.3
    Athlon XP 1700, unlocked and running at 1900
    512MB PC133
    Hercules 3D Prophet III
    Pinnacle PCTV in PCI slot 2
    Adaptec 29160 in PCI slot 3
    Nothing in slot 4
    Audigy in slot 5 (has its own IRQ here)
    Compaq NC3122 dual port NIC in PCI slot 6

I have tried the latency patch, doesn't seem to help much.

My final decision is that as there is no easy solution, I believe I have the optimal card positions, from having to experiment before to get every device to function, albeit with many crashes in Windows ME.

So, my decision is to go back to the Creative Live 5.1, and wait until I get a new motherboard, which would probably not be a Via board!

Sure, I know about the latency patch and have installed it, I know about assigning the sound card its own IRQ, I have done this for the sound card and the graphics card, I have disabled 1 com port to free an IRQ, my board is not RAID, so thats a spare IRQ too.

Funnily enough, if I install say, the compaq creative drivers, the board doesn't function correctly, but if I then uninstall the drivers, windows does a search, and finds a previously unused WDM driver, obviously from the XP driver cache.... after that, the board can function, but I need the boards full functionality, like ASIO.

So as much as I may appear to not know how to solve the problem, I have tried with no success.

Thanks for all your help, but obviously there is no solution this time.