Stock 4870 512 MB fan speed from BIOS

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Amorphous_Snake, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Amorphous_Snake

Amorphous_Snake Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GeForce 8800GT
    Hello. I have a Gigabyte 4870 with 512 MB of RAM. The fan runs by default on 23% and idles at 82 degrees celsius. I simply manually make the fan run at 45% from CCC to idle at 45 degrees and at full load it's around 75 or so, but is there a way to permanently increase the slope of the fan response to heat.

I have never flashed a GPU before or edited its BIOS so I will appreciate the help. Thanks.

2. Space@pe

Space@pe New Member

GPU:
    Geforce FX 5900 (256mb)
    Firstly get your videocard bios from gpu-z or find one with the same memory size from mvktech.net or techpowerup.com.

Then load the bios with RBEditor. Go to 'Fan Settings' and change them. Auto Fan Control for 48xx: a guide, AMD HD 3850/3870 fan controller database. Should help you out a little. :)

Wenn all is set up the way you like in RBEditor save the bios and either use Winflash or if thats not working. do it in bios. if you have a usb memorystick try this and put the bios in there.

Once inside the bios type "atiflash -f -p 0 4870.bin". Reboot. Done :D

---
    I Also have made a couple of guide for use with rivatuner. you can use the settings for absolute silence:

http://www.overclock.net/6522061-post6.html

http://www.overclock.net/6885875-post12.html

Guide to Video BIOS flashing, Tutorial on how to use RBE (Radeon BIOS Editor). Both guides are a little old though :/.

Good Luck m8 :)

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  3. Amorphous_Snake

Amorphous_Snake Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GeForce 8800GT
    Thanks for the help. I will try it and tell you.

4. Space@pe

Space@pe New Member

GPU:
    Geforce FX 5900 (256mb)
    Allright :)

5. chuck216

chuck216 Guest

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB

Advice was already given, but I feel sorry for you 82C Idle is way too hot. My Sapphire 4870 512mb only runs 25c at Idle and doesn't go above 75C even under full load like Furmark or OCCT.

Hopefully a bios flash will work, or if you can stand the noise of that stock cooler at 100% just set it in CCC and forget it.

6. nexu

nexu Maha Guru

GPU:
    HD4870 512MB (@795/1085)
    MSI AfterBurner is what i uses to tackle the noisy (stock)fan on my Sapphire 4870 512MB. The custom automatic fan settings works pretty well and less hassle.

7. chuck216

chuck216 Guest

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB
    Those reference coolers suck. I was lucky and bought one of the original vaporx cards, basically a non-overclocked Toxic. The fan on it is quite quiet no louder than my cpu fan. Even when set at 100%.

8. spleended

spleended Member Guru

GPU:
    ATi XFX HD4870 512mb
    can some one tell me how to flesh bios on my xfx 4870 512mb so that i can oc it higher then 790/1100,i dont know where to look for bios versions,please can someone point to the right site for bios? and if you have time,explain me how to do it,i will be thankful....