Radeon HD 5970 Single card and Crossfire review [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Bodar

Bodar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Lots of Fermi'zzzz
    With the new drivers released, the numbers are amazing using 4 5870's.. Just downloaded.. I think we finally have a bit of stability in quadfire using either 4 5870's or 2 5970's.. looking awesome for amd :) Hav'nt tried eyefinity yet but am about to dive in..

2. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I can't see this card being OCed on air. Maybe if they used some kind of monster cooler, like twice size of Arctic Cooling Accelero Extreme...

This thing is too power-hungry and too noisy even without any OC. Taking 3 slots for cooling seems to be silly. I think that water is the only option for "normal" every-day use.

3. DementeD

DementeD Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD "6970" 1000/1500
    ^ have u used the card personally...cuz in hilberts review it shows 45db and thats NOT loud at all..also the stock cooler can dissipate 400watt of heat..and handle a 1000core overclock..(shown in a couple reviews) so..your assumption on the cooler is a little off..however at 1000core the cooler will be pretty noisy im sure..

and to power hungry..less power then the 4870x2 but twice the performance...im pretty sure u DO NOT know what you're talkin about..ur 2 260's use more power then this card stock..and louder too(being as u have two..a single gtx260 is 44db as well)

this is an issue with the card..people not understanding the performance/power/noise that it truly puts out..and the card is dual slot..not triple...

4. "Born"_*Leader*

"Born"_*Leader* Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTS450 OC in SLI
    I'm too scared to read the review! I'm picking up a 4870X2 in a week.

5. antsh

antsh Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 2080 Ti
    So no one has any idea about which program was used for the video transcoding tests?

6. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    i cant do the show post thing so just c/p from afterburner 1.40 thread

uniwinder said this

"The only open issue for these cards now is malfunctioning fan control, but it is broken in Catalyst as CCC fan control doesn't function either. So Catalyst updates should solve it on 5970 cards "

45db is not 100% fan speed at 90C lol
    thats why they get hot and throttle and i'm sure somehow you could push the fan to 100% at all times it would make the card last for yrs np.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  7. DementeD

DementeD Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD "6970" 1000/1500
    idk about the 5970's that much but..i know it was very typical of the 4870x2's to reach 90c..and i know 100% fan speed would definitely be noisy..sounds like a leaf blower..but even on a gtx260 the fan speed isnt 100%..it uses throttling like the 5970 should do(but i do remember the 4870x2 having fan issues when it hit) so im sure all these things will clear up soon :)

8. weston

weston Guest

GPU:
    GTX 275
    I think the card looks amazing personally. It's quite a bit faster than the GTX295 when crossfire is active, and the price tag is lower than 5870 crossfire, and the same price as 5850 crossfire. Pretty much all you can ask for at this point - at least they have working cards out.

Bring on the Tesla benchmarks so we can see if all the hype is justified!

9. vhon05

vhon05 Guest

GPU:
    powercolor 7970
    this card is just overkill. I'm already feeling a little cpu bottleneck with 5870 and now this? We need a cpu bottleneck article for this monster

10. poo417

poo417 Guest

GPU:
    Add more resolution and your bottle neck will dissapear. Dam need to start looking for thin bezzle monitors now!!!

11. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I wouldn't let my card to get to so high temps to see throttling. It can be done for benching, or review, but not every-day gaming. Fans at 100% can't be quiet either. I think I couldn't stand such noise. That's why I mentioned aftermarket cooling.

Bodar, will you post some nice pics of 5970's cooled properly? :]

12. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    Has he said he's getting 5790's yet? Since 8xfire isn't supported to my knowledge I just assumed he'd wait for fermi.

What's the plan Bodar?

13. ASLayerAODsk

ASLayerAODsk Guest

GPU:
    MSI 580 8G
    umm..wouldnt the bottleneck first of all be the MONITER first? never mind the CPU....do you havea moniter that can display 150+ fps?

14. Bodar

Bodar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Lots of Fermi'zzzz

Well, for an experiment I may try 2 5870's in the middle and 2 5970's on the outside.. That way I can at least meet all the connectors.. Most likely it will just be fun and not work at all from what I've read, but I can always sell them right after. Need a specific waterblock though.. Since they are not out yet that I know of I may have to rig it up...

15. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    ohhhhhhh so these cards use about 20watts more at load then a dual pbc 295 i thought they used less.
    that should still not be a major differance thuo.

16. MightyBeast

MightyBeast Member

GPU:
    GTX 460
    I see how Crysis has been conveniently removed from the Quad fire testing. And there is not even a mention of not testing Crysis in quad fire. The only game where you would actuallly expect a second 5970 to add some gameplay value is Crysis..and that is exactly where ATI scaling fails to deliver. It is unfortunate that the review does not address this. People who dont know better can be mislead like this.