PC Modern Warfare 2: it's much worse than you thought

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by DSK, Nov 6, 2009.

1. bsc14

bsc14 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 560 1gb
    I'm enjoying this game more than i ever did the first....just wish I didn't suck so bad.

2. E.J.Smith

E.J.Smith Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce Titan
    Great post. You summed up my experience. Admittedly I haven't quite finished so this isn't a final judgment and my opinion may change upon further reflection.

Given all the intense pre-release hype this game was given it has been a monumental disappointment, at least for me. Starting with the problems many PC users are having simply getting the game to run, the fact that it's an obvious console port, the issues with MP and, as you pointed out, the very weak SP story line, there isn't much bang for our fifty-plus bucks.

I'll admit that I had a 'Wow!" moment during the mountain climbing and winter war scene at the very beginning. However, it went pretty much downhill (no pun intended) at the point of the snowmobile chase. Perhaps I'm just a petty moralist but the whole kill-fest with Makarov in the airport was disturbing and frankly pointless. Really, it's just a big attempt at eye candy with a lot of running around and shooting. It even falls tremendously short of the first COD:MW wich is still much more impressive.

I contrast this with Batman:Arkham Asylum which in my opinion is nothing short of brilliant in its challenge and complexity.

3. IAmGhostDog

IAmGhostDog Guest

GPU:
    XFX R9 390
  4. ElDiablo2K3

ElDiablo2K3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    BFG Geforce GTX 295
    Now who's trolling? Half of what you just said could easily be used to describe your own behaviour, IMO.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009

5. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yes, but as you said, only in your opinion.

6. ElDiablo2K3

ElDiablo2K3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    BFG Geforce GTX 295
    Yes, I only wish I'd put 'IMO' at the end of my last few posts, then maybe they wouldn't have been deleted by some over zealous admin.

7. Vector

Vector Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 770 FTW 4gb w/bkplate
  8. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Well it happened well before that for me at the point where you see your colleague edging along a narrow ledge with his back to the wall but when you follow him you walk out as if the ledge is much, much wider as you're 90 degrees to him! Not only that but if you accidentally look down then you'll see that you actually have no body at all. That really ruined the immersion for me at that point. It's no Crysis in terms of realism and giving the player a sense of being part of the surroundings that's for sure; you're just a floating gun in the CoD games with the occasional glimpse of an arm or two!

I'm almost at the end of Act II now and some of the larger levels have been enjoyable enough but I've still yet to see anything that has made my jaw-drop or set my pulse racing with excitement. It's all pretty meh really, much as I hate to use that word.

9. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    i hate games which works this way :(

Crysis draws whole body. this is why there is a THIRD PERSON VIEW mod for it. and works good lol.

Anyway, in the some levels in MW2, u see ur body. hands..and at the END ur whole body. spoiled? damn :p

10. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    Its not balanced for that lol

11. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    i loved the 3rd person mod in mirrors edge. animations were really bad on that game haha :)

12. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    really? why u didnt tell me before? :p. let me check utube videos.

edit: lol
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mv7MnV1SrZg

so lame.

13. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    HaHa, i lol'd when she walked up the stairs.

I've never been bothered with seeing a body in a FPS, Crysis is abit more open world, so its more important than this, which doesn't give you the chance to look anywhere but straight ahead.

14. stewox

stewox Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire ATI Radeon 4870
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  15. CJ3D

CJ3D Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX970 4GB
    The Single player campaign is quite good so far - up to the fourth level. The snowy base stage and undercover terrorist stage were interesting.
    By the sounds of it (everyone says the campaign is way too short), there's probably one or two more levels lol.

One thing I disliked were the rushing sections where you had to run away from 100 enemies or try to shoot 100 enemies from a confused jeep... These time-limited sections are annoying and flimsy, I like to take my time (which is why I like Splinter Cell so much lol).

Shame it runs like turd on my PC (3GHz Core2duo + GTX260), even when turning the gfx down and setting the res to 1280x720... its sooo choppy :( At least the gfx look nice.

Not going to play Multiplayer at all (lame internet connection, no dedicated servers), so glad I didnt pay for it (was given to me for a present).

Now if the game was set in a Sandbox world like GTA, that would be very interesting... Like The Saboteur but in 2010 rather than 1944 :p

16. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    uhh well mine runs fine @ 1920x1080 on my 5770 i would look ino your drivers.

17. CJ3D

CJ3D Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX970 4GB
    I'm using 195.62 which are quite recent

I even have AA turned off and most settings set to low... dunno whats going on. All other games run very well.

18. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Hmm odd stuff i could try a few older drivers just incase.

19. CJ3D

CJ3D Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX970 4GB
    But you have an ATI card?

20. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Indeed i do

but my friend with a 192core gtx and pentium dualcore runs it fine @ 1920x1080 so there most likely must be a driver problem somewhere.