5850 long boot time

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by akaliel, Nov 11, 2009.

1. akaliel

akaliel Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 780 GTX @ 976 Mhz
    Found myself a 5850, but the first thing I noticed is that as soon as I power up the computer it takes approximately 20 - 30 seconds before the computer posts and begins booting. It does this everytime. The monitor simply sits in power saving mode. I had a 4890 in there previously and it had no issues and neither did the 3650 that was in there before that. Nothing else has changed but the video card.

Other than that it runs great, I played both Call of Juarez 2 and Dragon Age. I haven't seen any graphical issues or performance problems and no crashes to speak of. Just this odd prolonged boot up. I can live with it, of course, but just wondering if anyone has seen this. I have the XFX 5850.

2. Calef

Calef Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS HD5850
    There is a thread about the exact same problem in a german forum (which I unfortunately can't link to because the forum is down atm -.-) and many 5850 and 5870 users confirmed having this issue. It was mainly with older mainboards and none of them had any other issues with their cards. Unfortunately they found no real solution for the problem though some reported the problem was gone after a BIOS update.
    So I can imagine this being annoying but don't worry too much about it, your hardware is most probably absolutely ok and it is just some sort of compatibility problem. You could give the BIOS update a try though there is of course no guarantee it wil fix your problem.

3. akaliel

akaliel Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 780 GTX @ 976 Mhz
    My board's getting a little old. You can see it in my details there. I was planning on installing Windows 7 right away, maybe I'll see if there's a BIOS update to put on first.

4. randomizer

randomizer Guest

GPU:
    5600 xt Gaming OC
    I change motherboards all the time and asus boots up faster then gigabyte. Its more of a chipset thing..

5. akaliel

akaliel Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 780 GTX @ 976 Mhz
  6. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    well i had the same prob with win 7 and 2 hd 5870 all i did was remove ccc from the startup list

7. akaliel

akaliel Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 780 GTX @ 976 Mhz
    I don't think you understand. It's not slow in getting into Windows, it's slow before posting. It wouldn't matter if I had Windows 7 or Linux installed. This is before the MB checks to see what processor is installed on it, forget about the operating system and what's booting up in Windows.

8. TDurden

TDurden Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
    Probably another nForce chipset problem of many..

9. akaliel

akaliel Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 780 GTX @ 976 Mhz
    Could be, time will tell. I was planning on an upgrade in a few months so I can live with long bootups in the meantime. Probably just by using sleep mode and not dealing with it :) If a BIOS update comes out sooner then all the better.

10. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    Hi all,

I had the same problem with my 5870. Before I had my FDD installed and after a while remove it but forgot to disable it from BIOS and gues what?? as 20...30s before starting to boot. I disable the Floppy in BIOS and now windows boots without waiting.

Check this, may work also with your mobo's:3eyes:

11. akaliel

akaliel Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 780 GTX @ 976 Mhz
    Wish it was that simple, but I have no floppy drive in my system and never did. :(

12. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu

It is also in bios disabled??:3eyes:

13. akaliel

akaliel Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 780 GTX @ 976 Mhz
    It's always been disabled in the BIOS. But for others this might be a solution.

14. midweskid

midweskid Guest

I've had the same problem from the 4770 I own now and the previous one before it. The one before made my computer very unstable even though the nvidia i had before ran perfectly fine. Also the one i currently have installed seems to make a diffrence in how my computer operates, though games seem to run fine my system act wierd when i have a ATI card installed.

15. akaliel

akaliel Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 780 GTX @ 976 Mhz
    I had an ATI 4890 in this before the 5850 and it booted up fine. So did the 3650 before that and the 8800GTX before that. If u see that link I posted above, it seems to be a combination of my motherboard and video card.

16. simnov

simnov Guest

I have 100% same problem with Asus p5n-e sli and hd5870.

17. cowman

cowman Guest

I can't even get my computer to POST with the HIS 5750. My current card is an ATI X1900 and I know its not a power thing because the 5750 only requires a 450W power supply and I have a 550W power supply.

18. andrea86

andrea86 New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 58