PC Modern Warfare 2: it's much worse than you thought

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by DSK, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Jonny Manc

Jonny Manc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA 3080 LHR
    A friend of mine (and it really is, it aint me.....) reckons its good and had no issues with the MP but I do buy into it (at least yet lol), he's a cop out and much easier to please than me.
    I wonder if IW would release a MP demp of 1 map to allow us doubters to 'experience their brilliance (WTF)' and check it for ourselves!?

2. kangpc

kangpc Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX275
    I bought it at midnight, beat most of the campaign and logged ~4 hours on multiplayer. I have no major concerns yet... no lag on multiplayer, when it switches hosts its kind of annoying but it rarely needs to do that. The single player is great but the multiplayer is just so fun haha its hard to stop playing. im already used to the smaller games. 6v6 is the regular match size with the larger one being 9v9. The maps do actually seem to be a better fit for these sizes and there isnt as much spawn and die to heli/plane/whatever. The graphics are great i dont really know why they took out lean but im already used to it. Definitely glad I bought it I was worried for a minute there. Still a dick move on IW's part but this game is sweet haha.

I'd say if you are really into modding or hardcore clan matches you probably will be annoyed, but for casual fans of the series it's ****ing fun as hell.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  3. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    I have to say.... every once in a while you get into a game with some lag... but i think that has more to do with whoever is assigned as the host than the game itself. You'll play through one round just fine, and the next round you might notice a bit of lag. Played quite a few rounds though (almost rank 14), and i've only really had noticable lag twice. So..... not too bad if you ask me.

Also only had one instance of host migration.... and that wound up timing out after a while.

Like texasrattler said earlier... the bars for ping don't really mean a whole lot. seems like the worst position you could be in is a single redish orange bar.... and that's usually when you notice lag. But like i said... doesn't occur very often... or at least hasn't for me so far.

4. MarkyG

MarkyG Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4070Ti
    I have to say....the game looks gorgeous. My gripes are: why the hell do we have to sit through a 5+ minute intro video before we can even change a single option? NO screenshot functionality (they ripped out the console)... apart from that, the SP portion is delightful :)

I'll whinge and moan about the MP/rest of things later. Enjoying the SP campaign too much at the moment ;)

5. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    yeah that annoyed me a bit as well! and i totally agree regards the single-player.

graphically speaking it's a beauty! my favourite is when an RPG flies over my head by a few centimetres..hehe

6. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    ^ you guys are mentioning that it looks great.. well how does it look in comparison to COD4? I mean, is it a real improvement? Or is it just a moderate upgrade.. I don't have the game and certainly don't plan on buying it in its state, but viewing a bunch of videos it really doesn't look any better than COD4.. maybe just a couple new textures here and there..

7. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    it might look slightly better. from what i read, it's running off a tweaked version of the CoD4 engine. probably mostly for better lighting, better smoke effects, stuff like that. Quite dramatic, some of the scenes are.

What do you mean by "in it's state"? there isn't really much wrong with it.

8. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    For someone who has run COD servers, who likes to mod, who likes fair servers, and who likes the lean feature, console etc etc etc, there is alot to NOT like about this game. In that capacity, I see a lot wrong with it.

9. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    yea i saw it, they took out leaning just like in FEAR 2 .. wdf why? because xbox noobs cant lean with it?? please :rolleyes:

10. weston

weston Guest

GPU:
    GTX 275
    even cat's can lean!

[​IMG]

the faults can be outweighed if the matchmaking works well, but the single player is pretty useless on PC as it stands. Good enough for a console where the goal is simplicity, but for me, I like to tweak just about every setting before I start playing a game.

11. bsc14

bsc14 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 560 1gb
    Well it looks about the same...maybe just a little better. The game run so amazingly smooth that it's obvious it isn't really pushing the envelope in the graphics but I have to tell ya it's still one of the best looking games out there.

But really we shouldn’t expect to see anything that’s really going to push the new hardware. The consoles are the bottleneck now…..and unfortunately they are also 1st priority.

12. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I have friends that work at Lith. They removed lean from FEAR 2 because they felt, from what they saw in playtests, it took away from the frantic, in your face combat they were going for.

The combat in FEAR and FEAR 2 didn't look as "over the top" when you're peaking around a corner. :p They wanted to force the players to fight the enemies head on.
    Which is why the removed lean and added in the cover system in the game. But they admit the cover system doesn't work as well as it could. Something they plan on working on for future titles.

As for Modern Warfare 2 and Infinity Ward... who knows. I think they way they've handled MW2, they are just idiots.
    I've been told about the plot, watched videos... story wise, it looks horrible. So sad to see such a prominent PC developer as IW come to this.

13. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    @BSC14 - thanks for your opinion. Naturally its tough to gauge by low res online videos, but it just looks the same as the COD4 videos which would depict to me that its not much of an improvement. Not that one should expect that this game will push graphics forward a la Crysis, but I would hope that for the price tag there would be enough improvement in all fascets to justify the price hike.

14. Death_LV

Death_LV Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4090 GAMING
    i finished the game after 4-5h playing.This game is not MW2 but COD MW expansion pack :D

15. bsc14

bsc14 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 560 1gb
    Well it's more of the same really. It all depends on how much you like COD I guess...or how much the changes bother you.

To give you an idea of how the graphics are in this one click on this link. It's 2xaa and 16xaf at 1920x1080.....just about all maxed out. It will give you a better idea I think than some low res videos.

LINK HERE

16. nexu

nexu Maha Guru

GPU:
    HD4870 512MB (@795/1085)
    Nice screenshot. But looking at that, I can't say i see much graphical improvement (engine wise) over COD4/COD5. Except they did put very much more details into the level design, especially the minor details and overall atmosphere of the level.

17. bsc14

bsc14 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 560 1gb
    Well there is that...plus...here it comes....more text pops up on the screen with a loud sound.

"HEADSHOT OMG SWEET" "200 POINTS" "FREAKING REVENGEED THAT HOE!!"

This of course is to give the impression that it's a brand new game. :p

But it's still fun. :)

18. nexu

nexu Maha Guru

GPU:
    HD4870 512MB (@795/1085)
    That used to be done by MODS ... which isn't going to be supported anymore :bang:

Personally i think those announcements are annoying as hell. It used to be cool when UT did it since it was still original back than.

19. bsc14

bsc14 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 560 1gb
    They don't really stand out as much as I'm saying...I was more making fun than anything else.

But yeah it has a lot more text on the screen.

20. MarkyG

MarkyG Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4070Ti
    MW2 has some really nice eyecandy in there, the particle effects are superb (check the burning trees at the beginning of chapter 2) and the sparks in the airport level. :)