Vista: "Display Driver nvlddmkm stopped responding, has successfully recovered"

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by NeoElNino, Jun 30, 2007.

1. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    i just got a chain of these after quitting a game, then a 0X00000124 bsod.

I disabled C1E and its been stable up till now.

2. toyzruz

toyzruz Member Guru

GPU:
    Gtx280@sli
    windows7 ?

3. Silentspy

Silentspy Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 5870 Vapor-X
    can you link to that fix?

4. Mojak

Mojak Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 470

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    So, this problem is still occurring? And here people keep posting in ATI threads that nVidia doesn't have this problem....

6. Silentspy

Silentspy Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 5870 Vapor-X
    yep still occurring for me, i tried the fix that Mojak had, and tbh my card didnt reset before atleast 10 rounds in CoDwaw, so it might be less often but its still there (i also put TdrLevel to 0 in regedit)

7. Mojak

Mojak Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 470
    Is it all Games, or just 1 or 2 that it locks up in?

Try looking at this:

Click the windows "Start" button and type in "Event Viewer"

Hit enter.

click the arrow next to "Windows Logs" then right click system and click on Filter Current Log

A window will appear. Put a Check next to Critical and Warnings and hit ok

Now look through the log for event id 4101.

what I saw in mine was usually a Bunch of 4101's followed by a Critical error "Kernel-Power" event id 41 (i rebooted it). Btw, some of you that are saying it flickers and locks up. The flicker is everytime the driver resets as far as i can tell.

These lock ups you see may not be Lock ups. When WoW would "lock up" on me I can still get to file shares etc. The driver might reset 20 times before I finally decide rebooting was faster.

Lets see how your log looks.

Also, There is a latency timer application on guru3d (downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=951) that might help see if its a pci latency issue, or something else.

things I plan to check when I get home are:

1) PCI Latency
    2) IRQ's
    3) Bios PCI Latency setting.

About #3:

Quoted from: http://www.adriansrojakpot.com/Speed_Demonz/BIOS_Guide/BIOS_Guide_02h.htm

PCI Latency Timer
    Options : 0 - 255

This feature controls how long each PCI device can hold the bus before another takes over. The larger the value, the longer the PCI device can retain control of the bus. As each access to the bus comes with an initial delay before any transaction can be made, low values for the PCI Latency Timer will reduce the effective PCI bandwidth while higher values improve it.

On the other hand, while increasing the value lets each PCI device access the bus longer, the response time of those PCI devices suffers as a result. That means every PCI device will have to wait longer before they can get access to the bus but when they do get access, they can conduct their transactions for a longer time.

Normally, the PCI Latency Timer is set to 32 cycles. For better PCI performance, a larger value should be used. Try increasing it to 64 cycles or even 128 cycles. Some PCI devices may not agree with longer latency times so if you start facing problems like stuttering sound or a less responsive system, reduce the latency. Higher values will actually reduce performance as too much time may be allocated to each PCI device to the disadvantage of other devices on the bus.

8. Mojak

Mojak Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 470
    Squall,

I see you have a pretty good idea about the PCI Latency tool... read a bunch of posts from you over on ngohq. Do you think PCI Latency might have anything to do with PCIE? Its a seperate bus right? So no chance in hell that could be the problem? Please correct me if im wrong... I dont wanna waste precious time looking into it if its not the problem.

9. Mojak

Mojak Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 470
  10. sammysosa21

sammysosa21 New Member

GPU:
    XFX GTX 260

:banana::banana::banana: this has worked for me so far.

edit, still freeezes but NO BSOD and nvnfdnj stopped wroking. just as bad as i still have to manually restart when it happens as it does not go back to desktop.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009

11. de redder

de redder New Member

GPU:
    nvidia 260 gtx
    Since i do use the 178.24 drivers and keep my
    system cool and a little underclocked by rivatuner i
    don`t get this silly error anymore.

Tried yesterday the 195.39 driver but that wasn`t a
    good idea. I saw glitches and i have immediatly used
    system restore.

My specs are;

Nvidia 260 gtx
    intel i7 processor
    1 tir harddisc
    6mb ram
    vista 64 bit.

12. Mojak

Mojak Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 470
    This worked for me all last night in WoW. I was watching the clocks and the moment I clicked on a game, the card would start running in 3d performance mode, then downclock after I exited..

13. Mojak

Mojak Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 470
    Still no problem since I made the change in the Nvidia Control panel to run 3d performance mode while gaming.

Very strange..

14. tehalirigsho

tehalirigsho Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX460 SC
    Just a random thought here, but is it possible that this error is somehow linked to ambient occlusion??

15. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    What makes you think that, tehalirigsho?

This error definitely already happened way before AO was introduced...

16. tehalirigsho

tehalirigsho Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX460 SC
    I never got this error on my system until AO was introduced on the drivers following 182.50. I've always thought that this was a very strange coincidence.

Guess it really doesn't matter since 195.39 has removed this error for me and hopefully for others. Hope my feedback is helpful. Cheers!

17. rentalbrain

rentalbrain Master Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor HD 7950
    I can 100% reproduce this problem by browsing this URL(http://www.amazon.com/Razer-Lachesis-Laser-Gaming-Mous-Banshee/dp/B000WU35JQ)
    then click one fo those "Read more" links at "Most Recent Customer Reviews", at about half way down this page on the right.

And looks like this problem is caused by adobe flash object plugin, when I disable it the crash won't occur. I just tried the same thing on another pc I have and it also crashed at the same spot. Both on 186.16 driver, win7 64bit, adobe plugin version 10.0.32.18.

Luckily I haven't had this problem in game so far so nothing major, but it got kind of scared me so I'll write it down just in case. At lease this particular case doesn't seem to be caused by a hardware problem so even if it happens to you, don't worry.

18. Pzykotik

Pzykotik Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX 2070 AMP
    Turning off Desktop Windows Manager in Win 7 seems to have helped with me. I still get random black screens when playing BF2 but they don't last long and things recover after now. I've also set my desktop to use basic settings when gaming.

19. win7_64bitUser

win7_64bitUser New Member

GPU:
    9800 GX2
    i install today win 7 64bit and get the same problem
    Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding, but has succesfully recovered.

after insall the new display driver! what i should do now?

without and display update all benchmarks run prefekt^^

20. ozahid89

ozahid89 New Member

GPU:
    HD 4870 6GB RAM