**The HD5770 Thread**

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by keenan, Nov 7, 2009.

1. keenan

keenan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti Hydro Copper
    Alright, I thought it would be best to start this thread for all the 5770 inquiries, tips, advice and ... problems :(

So, lets start with drivers. So many of you say that the 9.10 drivers just arent working with these cards. So here are links to official released drivers..

They are for both Vista and Windows7, 32bit and 64bit

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/ATIRadeonHD5800seriesrecommendedgraphicsdriver.aspx

Now, after you've got the card installed you probably want to start benching. The first thing you'll find is that these cards (not asus) are limited to 960 on the core and 1445(5780) and the memory. This is something implimented into the bios and there is still no proper work around for it.

You could use AMD GPU Clock Tool to go past these limits, but doing so will disable powerplay and your card will thus be running at 3d speeds and voltage all the time. Speaking of wich, if you wonder what powerplay is or why when you open the Catalyst Control Center that you clocks read as 157/300, that is one and the same thing. So, know the downside of using these applications before using them.

Another way to eliminate these overclocking limitations is to flash the bios of your 5770 to that of the Asus HD5770 Voltage Tweaker Edition.. Please note that doing so will surely void your warranty and could very likely render your card inoperable!! Follow at your own risk...

Below is a detailed guide to flashing you bios.

**Please note again, you take full responsibility for doing this**

Lets start at what you need..

* Any Flash drive or USB bootable device such as external hard drives will do
    * HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool
    * The Boot Files (Extract them)
    * Atiflash
    * The Unlocked Bios (Extract it and rename it to something like unlock.bin

Start with installing the HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool.

[​IMG]

* Select the Device you plan to use and choose FAT32 as the File System
    * Tick the box "Create a DOS startup disk" and select the option "using DOS system files located at" then browse to the extracted boot files you downloaded.

Start the prosess.

When it's done you will have a bootable USB device, all you have to do now is copy the Atiflash.exe and unlock.bin to the root of your bootable device and reboot your computer.

See to it that your bios points to this device as the First Boot Device and once it booted to DOS just type:

atiflash -f -p 0 unlock.bin

Once finished it will tell you to restart the computer to continue, just press Ctrl + Alt + Delete

If you have 2 cards in crossfire, remove one and flash one at a time, making sure the one being flashed is in the top most pci-e slot

Enjoy unlocked overclocking...

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  2. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    As long as the bios is okay, there's really no way to screw it up. I mean, you can fail the flash but all you need to do is put in another card and reflash.

Which is why I'm probably gonna skip on this. At most, with comfortable sound levels, I could get 40mhz more on the core...Just not worth flashing two cards for 40mhz

3. keenan

keenan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti Hydro Copper
    I've watercoolerd mine and at 1.35v I get 1100/1445. running Furmark for 5 minutes gives about 40'C

That's colder then what they run idle with the stock fan.. :)

4. GhostGT

GhostGT Member

GPU:
    ATI HD5770
    Wait you can get your drivers and software installed on Windows 7 64bit?

Cause mine wont.

5. magicdave26

magicdave26 Banned

GPU:
    S-HD 5770 1GB 1000 / 1400
    A question about my 5770, would my Athlon 64 X2 6000+ be bottlenecking its performance ability?

I have read and seen benchmarks with this card and a Phenom II X4 and they get considerably higher FPS than I do, for example Unigines Heaven DX11 Benchmark tool struggles to run on my system unless most things are set to low.

I am running the Sapphire HD 5770 1GB, with 4GB Corsair 1066mhz, an Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3Ghz, with the mainboard being the ASUS M3N-HD/HDMI

I just dont seem too impressed with the ability of the card and I am really hoping this is due to the CPU

Any ideas would be welcome, thanks

Dave

6. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Well I don't have water. I would like it on these though, I'm sure it's awesome. What's your vantage score, at those clocks.

7. keenan

keenan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti Hydro Copper
    Which
    version of Windows7 are you running..? I have no problems installing these with Windows7 Ultimate 64bit

Do a 3dmark06 and Vantage run and post your results, that will be a better gauge on how well your system is performing with the card..

I'll do some a bit later and post them, just busy watching Survivor with the wife .. :(

8. magicdave26

magicdave26 Banned

GPU:
    Will do, thanks for the reply

9. GhostGT

GhostGT Member

GPU:
    ATI HD5770
    @keenan
    Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255)

10. magicdave26

magicdave26 Banned

GPU:
    Ok here is my 3DMark06 results, I did not touch any settings after the install, I just ran the default tests, I will submit Vantage results later.

[​IMG]

11. magicdave26

magicdave26 Banned

GPU:
    I had a problem installing the reccomended drivers from ATI originally, the CCC would just crash on install, I figured it was because I had not properly got rid of the old CCC from my X1950XT, after a few frustrating hours, I gave up and wiped the PC, reinstalled Windows 7 x64 and they installed without error

Edit - Sorry for double post

12. keenan

keenan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti Hydro Copper
    @magicdave26

That score is rather low in my opinion, you should be getting around 15K

What's the specs on your PSU?

Does it say how mant 12V rails you have and the Amps per rail..?

13. keenan

keenan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti Hydro Copper
    I would advise a clean install, try an Ultimate version..

The drivers should install without any issues, so I would think that there's something on your system that prevents them from installing correctly..

14. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Na i get 15 so that looks about right tbh.

15. keenan

keenan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti Hydro Copper
    O ok, thanks for the input Kylzer.. Appreciated :)

Maybe he should rather do a Vantage run, that should be less CPU rewarding then '06..

Magicdave36, could you do a run and see how it goes..?

16. magicdave26

magicdave26 Banned

GPU:
    PSU says:

+3.3v = 32A - 360w
    +5v = 30A - 360w

+12v1 and +12v2 = 16A - 192w
    -12v = 1A - 12w

Here is my Vantage score with settings set to Performance

[​IMG]

17. keenan

keenan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti Hydro Copper
    I know Kylzer said that your scores seem ok, but they do see low to me and I'm gonna guess that it's to do with your PSU, you've only got 16A on the combined +12V rails and I dont think that's enough. I might be wrong...

Kylzer, is there any chance you could do an experiment for us?

If you're up for it, set you cpu to 3Ghz, lowest memory setting and stock clocks on your card, then do a 3dmark06 and vantage run for us..?

I know it's messing with your system, but I know it's Saturday night and you're probably just sitting at home watching some silly boring film or something... :)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  18. magicdave26

magicdave26 Banned

GPU:
    Thanks for the suggestion, I suppose it would make sense, I would have thought I could get more out of my system that this, I know the CPU is dated, I`ll look into a decent PSU, although I was hoping to get the new Phenom II 965 C3 next pay day, maybe the PSU would struggle if I went for that first?

Edit - I`ll have to do that tomorrow, or today lol, Its nearly 2am here and Im shot, not really up for rebooting and BIOS`s and OCs etc ATM, I`ll be back with a fresh look on things after a few hours sleep.

Thanks again for the suggestions, hopefully catch back up with you soon.

Dave

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  19. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Ok so say DDR3 @ 800mhz and 3ghz cpu ?

ill try this now

brb

20. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    I'm gonna have to bust in here with my vantage scores.