To take or not to take the swine flu shot

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by proFits, Nov 5, 2009.

?

Do you plan on getting the swine flu shot?

1. YES - I will get vaccinated

17 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. No - I will not get vaccinated

78 vote(s)
    76.5%
  3. I'm undecided.

7 vote(s)
    6.9%
  1. nutyo

nutyo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD5870
    Can I get a source on that?

What kind of shortage are we talking about?

Source?

It'd be nice to get some numbers. "Many" kinda has a large range.

To OP. You are getting the shot. Why? Because I have to and so you should have to as well. :p

2. Bodar

Bodar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Lots of Fermi'zzzz
    Well, One of my best friends parents both work at the hospital.. His dad is a brain surgeon and his mom is a nurse.. Both of them said not to take it.. So that's what I've been doing...

Here is a sad swine flu vaccine story..

WASHINGTON, D.C. - An Ashburn, Virginia woman is in the fight of her life after suffering a very rare side effect to the seasonal flu shot.

The vast majority of doctors say flu shots are safe. In this case, the FDA says they found nothing wrong with this particular batch, but sometimes there are complications.

That's apparently what happened to Desiree Jennings, and now her life will never be the same.

•FOR AN UPDATE ON DESIREE AND HER CONDITION, CLICK HERE FOR OUR NEWEST STORY.
    At 26 years old, Desiree Jennings was the picture of health. She's a Washington Redskins cheerleader and an avid runner. Her life changed forever on August 23 when she says she got a seasonal flu shot at a local grocery store.

"I was training for a half marathon then," said Jennings, crying. "It just all went so fast."

Ten days after receiving the shot, she came down with the flu. After that, her health spiraled downwards. She started passing out and had to be hospitalized twice.

"We went to an urgent care place and they wouldn't even let her get out of my truck because she was seizing in the back so bad, so they called an ambulance immediately," says her husband, Brendan Jennings.

Doctors at Fairfax Inova and Johns Hopkins diagnosed her with a rare neurological disorder called dystonia. They think it was caused by a severe reaction to the flu shot.

Desiree now has difficulty speaking, walking, and even eating. During an interview with FOX 5, she had several seizures. The effects are irreversible.

"The symptoms will get worse if I use my voice or walk when the brain signals are misfiring," says Jennings.

Desiree reported her health problems to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) thinking there might have been something wrong with her vaccine. We also contacted the FDA and we were told they found no problems with the particular lot of flu vaccines that Desiree received, and the agency has not received any other reports of adverse effects from this lot.

Health experts stress that overall, extreme side effects are rare.

"The flu shot is safe for the majority of the public, and as I said before, your heart goes out to someone that experiences this sort of thing-- thinking that they are doing something great for their wellness and their general health, but it does happen in extremely rare cases," says Rachel Lynch with Fairfax Inove Health System.

For Desiree, she just happened to be one of those rare cases.

"I just don't want this to happen to anyone else," says Jennings.

Desiree and her husband plan to visit the Mayo Clinic in Arizona in November. They're hoping to get more answers about this disease and how they live with it.

Desiree has received flu shots before in 2007 and 2008.

3. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz

here you have the source, but its in german..:

http://www.welt.de/die-welt/debatte/article4892538/Extra-Wurst-fuer-die-Kanzlerin.html

heres an english article..

http://macedoniaonline.eu/content/view/8606/54/

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1932366,00.html

greetz Beta...

4. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    The supply is almost meeting demand but not quite, it's not a severe shortage but they periodically run out of vaccine. Or so the news says. I'm in Arkansas USA.

5. Joey

Joey Guest

GPU:
    2600XT + Panasonic S10
    Bah, don't be a pussy. If you are not in a risk group for regular flu (which still kills more people than swine flu) then you don't need it.
    I generally try and avoid pharmaceutical drugs as much as possible. I never take aspirin, paracetamol etc.. I also never get headaches now, even though I used to as a child.
    The human body can take care of itself for the most part, if an ACTUALLY dangerous strain of flu comes along which kills people like the spanish flu did (20%); then I'd be in a risk group and then I'd take the shot. No one wants to bleed from the nose and ears do they....

6. Funkgab

Funkgab Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 @ 850/1150
    im personally not taking it.. after i saw the girl who took it and she became all messed up it scares me even more..

7. Jonnyboy

Jonnyboy Guest

GPU:
    EVGA SC GTX 1070
    I wont be takeing it because I think the whole thing is a joke and if I do get too bad cause I dont trust things like this or flue shots.before two tears ago I haven't been sick for 7 years and then two yeas ago I got a flu shot and bam I got sick exactly one year later.

8. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    I think we need a poll here :)

9. Jimmy45

Jimmy45 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 670 PE/OC 2GB
    I dont know if i'll take it, I dont like the idea of the mercury either, it's bad enough getting mercury in your dental fillings ( and i already got a few of those ) never mind the vaccines, maybe I wouldn't feel so bad about it if I lived in a country that banned the use of mercury.

then there's what happened in the 1976 swine flu outbreak where millions got spent to create a vaccine, several hundred people who took the vaccine ended up with a rare form of paralysis, and no epedemic occurred.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...ad-from-1976-becomes-youtube-hit/1500849.aspx

10. wubbles

wubbles Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX560Ti 1Ghz
    It depends on the amount of mercury, even water is poisonous if you have too much of it.

11. Jimmy45

Jimmy45 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 670 PE/OC 2GB

yeah i know but how much mercury is too much?, iv heard that mercury amalgumn (think thats how you spell it lol) fillings contain 50% mercury?, dont know if thats good or bad, but if you've got 1 or 2 of those, along with the vaccines you get at school ( like BCG) and ones you maybe get to go on holiday or for flu etc,

Then surely thats going to increase exposure to it no?

And if its not really a problem why have certain countries banned it's use.

12. wubbles

wubbles Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX560Ti 1Ghz
    Amalgam contains less than 3% mercury.

13. Jimmy45

Jimmy45 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 670 PE/OC 2GB
  14. Miller

Miller Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 660ti Signature FTW
    I'm in an at-risk group but paradoxically my immune system is too weak for me to have the vaccine - which isn't very helpful :D

15. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    I'm not having, they try and get me to have the normal flu one every year (asthma), I've never bothered and always been fine.

16. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Since 25th October and Obama declaring a national emergency re:swine flu, if you're in USA don't be suprised if you're forced to take it.

I'm definately not taking it, I've spoken to docs, nurses, researched it. I've been around people who have had it and I didn't get it.

My conclusion re: vacine is "f that". If I get it and survive my immune system will be better for it. As for at risk groups...make your choice.

17. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    i wouldnt take it i can tell this jab is probably one of those oh **** we got this wrong jabs

and horribly mutates anyone who took it 10 years down the line

18. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    LOL

you could easily become

[​IMG]

19. nutyo

nutyo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD5870
    Cheers Dustpuppy and Beta. That situation in Germany stinks of political elitism. Pretty bad situation. I'm in Brisbane, Australia and I haven't heard of any shortage of shots (though I haven't really searched for news on it). I think it might be due to people being so hesitant about it and so the demand isn't that great.

20. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX
    Hawk, I can't get a read on your position.It sounds like you are trying to make people aware of the deadliness of this strain, but this makes it sound like you are against the vaccine?

There are many variations of the vaccine,and that's what troubles me.
    Some contain mercury, but others do not
    Some contain a live virus, others contain a dead virus
    Some are made like the standard seasonal vaccine, substituting swine flu for whatever was last years threat
    Among the mercury/non mercury options,there are variations concerning the packing .Most single dose packs don't have it, but most multi-dose packs do.The treatment has changed from a series of injections, to a single injection, and now I think it's back to two shots.
    Where was it manufactured, and do you trust the source?It may be dangerous thinking, but after the last few years of tainted this/tainted that, I'm not sure I want anything manufactured in China injected into my daughter.Some Countries have different standards than others.

I think for those who want it,there's still much research to do.
    Have any of you guys been exposed? My daughter has currently two kids in her class with it.One little girl, her good friend, is so very sick, I really hope she makes it.That enough is motivation to want to protect my kid, but now the real reading begins.....