GTX295 owners: How do you cool your card?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by coolville, Oct 14, 2009.

1. bokah

bokah Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    was buggered with dynamic untill i got it working finally, this is how mine looks
    (note that fan speed dosnt drop in same scale with gpu temp while coolin down, but rather with ambient)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  2. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    why would you chose ambient over GPU temperature?

3. bokah

bokah Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    not that i choose it, but its good to cool card down isnt it?

it would stay around 70C pretty long time without it

4. coolville

coolville Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA FTW COOP GTX295
    The new card runs like a charm, low 40's idle, maybe a tad over 60 C at load.

Leaning toward getting the backplate, I just have to make sure theres enough
    clearance between my NB fan assembly and the back of vid card, thanks for all the info!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009

5. bokah

bokah Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    most of the card is on other side of slot, back side is on line with it. planty of room there

6. coolville

coolville Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA FTW COOP GTX295
    Bokah, have you seen the XFX MB-N780-ISH9? Although I think you're right that it will fit, my NB fan assembly will be blowing hot air right on the backplate, and my NB runs hotter than my cpu :bang:

7. bokah

bokah Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    yes i saw pic of it, u might get ur nb cooler if u check out whats between it and cooler

so far all mobos i have had some rubber there instead of proper thermal paste, drops 5-10C

yet i doubt it will heat ur card too much

u sure its nb temp, not vrm u see? vrm can get really hot

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  8. coolville

coolville Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA FTW COOP GTX295
    Let me check in to that, im not sure, thanks.

9. ktorpil

ktorpil Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX295
    My 1st rev 2 PCB Zotac GTX295 always ran kinda hot since I bought it. But yesterday it finally started to give artifacts when playing Grid. Shut down the game, artifacts in desktop! Immediately shut down the computer, waited a bit for the card to cool down, turned it on, fan started to scream and PC didn't post. After 3 hard resets finally fan started normally and I booted normally. No artifacts or anything so far.

I have an enormous case with gazillion fans set in a relatively low dust environment and I clean everything every 3 to 6 months.

I've been using a custom auto fan profile so I went to rivatuner to change a few rules and wanted the fan to kick earlier. But the fan settings now look like this! :
    [​IMG]

Reinstalled rivatuner, didn't work.

I'm using 191.07 WHQL drivers on Win7 x64 (build7600)

10. coolville

coolville Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA FTW COOP GTX295
    Yeah its my NB, I have some AS5 under the NB cooler, but damn that thing runs hotter than my cpu cores, I dont know the exact temp but the "system" and "AUX" temps on speed fan (its one of those two im pretty sure) are usually higher than my cpu cores.

I thinking of breaking out my dremel tool and cutting the oem "massive" heatsink around the NB and seeing if I cant water cool it somehow.

11. bokah

bokah Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    u have evga precision installed?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  12. ktorpil

ktorpil Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX295
    No I haven't

13. sajibjoarder

sajibjoarder Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1080 FE
    use liquid cooling. if u want to over clock...

14. sajibjoarder

sajibjoarder Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1080 FE
    do u overclocked it? if u dont, then go to the vendor for a replacement. but some of the gtx 295 supports overclocking with air cooling. but using a liquid cooling is good idea.

15. ktorpil

ktorpil Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX295
    I don't overclock GPUs (plenty of bad experience in the past). I don't use liquid cooling (totally a waste of time and money).

The vendor doesn't just change the card because it runs "a little hotter than usual", apparently. And in this country, good luck if you're trying for a replacement cause you'll never get it...

16. salanos

salanos Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX980 4GB (Ref.)
    I've got a single PCB GTX 295 from MSI in my CM Storm Sniper.

Thing runs <77C, on auto-fan with the stock heatsink. I think it's quite fine. Overclocked to 648/1397/1150 MHz.

17. sajibjoarder

sajibjoarder Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1080 FE
    disassemble the cards cooling system. n put a better thermal paste. trust me it will work. n bro overclocking is not a waste of money because u will get a performance benefit without paying.

18. ktorpil

ktorpil Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX295
    I thought about that but it is not a simple matter, i just don't want to cannibalize a dual PCB, 1000USD card (more or less the price when I bought it). And what about the memory heatsinks? Once they're removed, the thermal adhesive pads just won't perform as they once did.

I'm not against overclocking (as you can see, I've o/c'd my CPU). I'm against WATER cooling, which is totally useless in this age of modern air cooling solutions. However, I don't want to overclock my GPU(s) because like I said I had plenty of bad experience in the past. And also the hassle of it (individually finding max stable shader, core and memory clocks, finding a way to force them, 3d/2d problems, restarting for a gazillion times, running benchmarking tools to check for artifacts for hours, risking damage to an already hot running card) just isn't worth an extra 5 FPS :) .

19. sajibjoarder

sajibjoarder Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1080 FE
    u dont need to think about the pads caz after this process may be it wont work like as b4 but its doesn't need too. when the memory will be slightly hotter what wont effect you. ( or u can apply some thermal paste there too these novice ideas always work ):micro:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  20. coolville

coolville Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA FTW COOP GTX295
    Amen ktorpil,

I used to water cool, I even put an entire water cooled mobo in a freezer along with radiators and a huge reservoir...it was fun, but what a waste of money...air cooling has come along way like you said, and all you really get out of extreme cooling is 5 fps or your system is a couple of seconds faster.