Looking for Mac TV Tuner

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ZeW0 ToleraNce, Nov 2, 2009.

1. ZeW0 ToleraNce

ZeW0 ToleraNce Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R5770
    Got a question that is a little bit out of our normal realm of computers; I got a Mac question :p

I've got a friend who's looking for a TV tuner that is going to be used on a Macbook but doesn't know the first thing about tuners, so I figured I could be able to help. But I soon realized I didn't know jack about TV tuners in general, so hopefully someone on this forum knows what sort of TV tuner my friend should get.

Would any TV tuner work with a Macbook or does it have to be specifically for Macs? For example, can I only get something like this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116017

Also I want it to be able to able to recieve HDTV signals as well as analog and whatever functions you guys suggest that I might need.

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  2. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Need to have Mac Support.

Elgato, or Pinnacle have some, make sure they are the Mac versions.

3. ZeW0 ToleraNce

GPU:
    MSI R5770
    Nevermind, I found out that indeed I can only get a TV tuner designed specifically for Macs. Since my friend has a Macbook, I think it'd be prudent to have one that would work over a USB plug? But there's only one USB plug type tuner on sale on newegg. Can you guys suggest something else?

4. ZeW0 ToleraNce

GPU:
    MSI R5770
    I've only really shopped at newegg to be honest. Do you know some other online I can get it from? Can't get access to a walk-in store, sorry.

5. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Sorry, I'm in Australia.

6. bp9801

bp9801 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800 GTX
    How much is he willing to spend for it? I'd check out the Hauppauge 1145 USB Tuner Stick, it has Mac compatibility but it costs a pretty penny, close to 100 bucks usually. There is also the Pinnacle 22461 USB Stick but it also costs close to 100 bucks, typically sold by Hauppauge as well. AVerMedia has a cheaper one at about 50 bucks, the AVerTVHD Volar MAX USB, but I have no idea how well that company makes their product. I'm more familiar with Hauppauge personally.

7. ZeW0 ToleraNce

GPU:
    MSI R5770
    Actually my friend went with an elgato eyeTV hybrid. Functionality it's pretty much the same as the other USB offerings I found out, and I let my friend decide, but thanks for the inputs guys. Really appreciated for making sure I was looking at the wrong brands since I've never heard of any of these brands before.