Nintendo Profits Plummet on Lower Wii Sales

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by LedHed, Oct 29, 2009.

1. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    http://www.dailytech.com/Nintendo+Profits+Plummet+on+Lower+Wii+Sales/article16664.htm

It looks like the lack of true HD support is finally coming back to bite Nintendo after the PS3 and 360 got price cuts. I guess reliability isn't everything to consumers

2. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Meh, I wonder how saturated the market is with Wii's I mean, at some point the sales are obviously going to diminish as everyone who's going to buy it has it. Not to mention that Nintendo was making money off every Wii it sold, while PS3 and 360 were losing money. Their net income in the last couple years since it's launch have been in the billions. I highly doubt they are going to have trouble building another console that's HD capable and selling another 50 million of them.

3. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    The Wii sold fine when it was the only one in that price range, but since the PS3 and elite which are the top dogs for microsoft and sony are at that price, Nintendo can't compete with that. Plus, games for Wii aren't as fun as they used to be. To me, Mario Kart wii is still the best game for it.

4. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    I like Smash Brothers Brawl better than Mario Kart

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yeah, I personally find the games for it terrible, but it's mostly because the system doesn't have the power of the other consoles, so 90% of crossplatform games don't get ported. What it really needs is beefier hardware, a motion controller that can be used like a proper controller - the current one can be tilted on it's side but it's still horrible in comparison to 360/PS3 controller - and better online services.

6. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    The Wii also isn't meant to have the power of the 2 consoles though. It as never made to compete with them. Plus, there's the classic controller, and you can use the Gamecube controller.(Although you have to buy the classic seperately, and the Gamecube controller has a short cord.) But the Wii isn't also meant to play like the other 2 consoles either. While there are good with the Wii, there are bad.

1.Real game ideas that have been done already, or ideas that sound good, but aren't good at all.
    2. The nintendo online system for the Wii is bad. There's no native voice for Wii now, which is bad.
    3. Everyone that has wanted a Wii, has bought one already pretty much. At first, supply wasn't that great, but then it got better. So now it's sort of like they made too many of them that they can't sell.
    4. Needing an add-on piece or accessory for certain games was a bad idea.
    5. The Wii is only made to play games. This isn't a bad thing, but giving it the ability to play DVDs would have been nice.

All the games that people have really looked forward to for the Wii has been out for awhile now. Mario, Mario party, Mario Kart, Wii Fit, Metroid, etc. This is hard for the Wii, but the Wii needs games that aren't kiddy party games, which is all that's coming out for the Wii right now.

7. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I wish the Wii had flopped to begin with so they would stop selling the inferior previous generation's console branded as a new console. Nintendo has been disappointing since the N64. They haven't been great since the SNES. Same CPU, same GPU, same everything just overclocked and put in a new case with a remote control instead of a game pad. I was pretty disappointed that the PS3/360 support only 1280x720 for 99% of the games, the Wii doesn't even have that.

8. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    The biggest problem is Nintendo is very much about their own games. 3rd party support is lacking and what remains is some great Nintendo games, but, lacklustre 3rd party games. Personally, I think they should have gone all out with the wii to compete hardware-wise. Sadly, the decision to profit first is going to cost them. Wii is pretty much end-of-life now. Let's hope their next DS is good.

9. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    They designed the Wii around the controller if anyone remembers, it had never been done before and it is very user interactive vs standard controllers.

However now the PC (and soon the 360) have Wii Like controllers coming out, it's not a great selling point.

10. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    It seems like they've not invested much into reducing die sizes to get production costs down, don't know why.

But then it's never really been nintendos thing to do hardware changes once a console is released, handhelds not withstanding.

But the market analysts suggest a newer Wii shortly anyway.

11. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    They wanted to expand the console market, and I applaud them. But the novelty of the thing has worn off. 360s and PS3s can do other stuff. and in the latter's case play Blu-rays. The wii is just sorely lacking on features and it really comes across as a kid's toy. A cool one, no doubt, but a kids toy nonetheless.

12. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I think the market's just over saturated w/ Wiis and Nintendo hasn't been doing much to wow people w/ Wiis, I'm still waiting on another blockbuster hit like Super Mario Galaxy.

deltatux

13. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    Wiiiitards?

Sorry but I still have yet to look at buying a wii there is nothing telling me why i should really buy the System besides loads and loads of wiiware trash games that are like Pests

14. J STEEL

J STEEL Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 FTW+ SLI 4GB
    I almost bust my gut open with wiiitards!! LMAO!!! That was good!! I never was impressed with it. It seems fun for a while when you play a friend with it for the first time, but after that it is not appealing as a single player solution due to the fact it lacks any interesting games. Maybe a few, but that is about it.

15. proFits

proFits Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Well for one I never liked the wii, I'm a hardcore gamer and got plenty of money to buy the console if I wanted to. But my gaming time is restricted to 4 hours a day (10+ on weekends) and I simply don't see much entertainement value even if it simulates the movement it doesnt cut it for me, as would guitar hero/rock band (I prefer the drums though)

And as far as the upcomming months go:
    -Demon's soul until
    -Call of Duty MW2 is released
    -Bioshock 2
    -Left4Dead 2
    -Starcraft 2

I mean .... the 8-10 next months are already scheduled as far as my gaming goes, and it sounds simply GREAT! Whereas the Wii releases in the upcomming months are less then impressive

16. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    I'm looking forward to the Wii 2 so I can trade the one I have now in cause I hardly use it and get some HD lovin.... I can't stand the fact of how it looks on a HD TV even with Component cables.

17. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    Different games for different people. And for those who say the Wii is end-of-life now. The games makes the console, the console doesn't make the games. You don't need next-gen hardware to make games better, you need better ideas. The controller can matter, but most games can be designed around any controller and have it work well.

EDIT: To a smaller extent the storage format matters. With the Wii having DVD though I don't think that's an issue.

18. metaltoiletry

metaltoiletry Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX HD5870
    Makes sense, everyone I know has one now. I can't wait for the next console/games from Nintendo.

19. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    You miss the point, half the game engines companies make can't even function on the Wii, so it misses out on half the cross platform titles.

Regardless, better ideas and better hardware can exist simultaneously.

20. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    You could say that with a lot of stuff though, not just the Wii and not just game engines.

Of course, that has nothing to do with what I said, but whatever. I would like to see some links if you could prove that, though. I don't see any fundamental reason they couldn't function on the Wii, but I really don't know that much about how the engines themselves function.