Microsoft Windows Vista DirectX 11 update

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Oct 28, 2009.

1. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
    Downloaded KB971512 from MS (about 5 MB), it installed OK and dxdiag identifies dx11 now.

2. Buss_Shots

Buss_Shots Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 570 1280 MB
    I got the "platform update KB971644" through windows update. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971644/ Its supposedly supposed to have this upgrade and others in it. Its weird cuz I cant find it on the site! I got dx11 though.

Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 7.00.6002.18107 64bit Unicode

3. akilay87

akilay87 Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA 2060s
    i have vista 32 bit and i get the \\file is not supported by your system thing
    sp2, fully updated... wtf is goin on....

4. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
    Do like me,

...Downloaded KB971512 from MS ...

5. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    finally my dxdiag says dx11 thks to all the peeps who posted the updates/help etc.

not sure what i was doing wrong, perhaps it was an update that i hadnt installed.

6. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Anywhere else I can download it from? I did the validation process and the nonsense says it's unable to determine whether my copy of Windows is genuine or not.

Edit: And now my Windows says it's not activated, now I'm disturbed. There are only 2 answers to this. 1 - Vista is glitched as hell, 2 - This is only temporary until I restart because I'm in the middle of a Windows update.

Edit 2: Yes it was the Windows update that left it in that state. I restarted and now that everything is finished updating everything is back to normal.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  7. MM10X

MM10X Guest

GPU:
    3080 FE
    i ran windows update, and saw that this "platform update for vista" is in there, it worked fine and installed. DXdiag shows DX11.

8. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    An important note I should mention, SP2 fixes a LOT of glitches in Vista. For 99.9% of my programs I always had to have driver signature enforcement disabled which lead to a plethora of glitches up the ass which annoyed me to no end. Most people don't run into these glitches because they only seem to happen when driver signature enforcement is disabled.

One of the most annoying glitches was that Windows wouldn't properly save window settings so they could not memorize where to open or what settings to use for the items in them.

SP2 fixes all that nonsense.

9. salanos

salanos Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX980 4GB (Ref.)
    Does this work on SP1?

10. getsuga12

getsuga12 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX870M
    as far as i know, you need sp2 before you can apply the patch

mmm, i tried the 64-bit patch from the microsoft link, the patch from guru3d and through windows update, and all 3 give me the "data type not supported" error. Ah well, I already have dx11 anyway, and it seems that this patch gives the exact same dxdiag version as the beta.

11. salanos

salanos Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX980 4GB (Ref.)
    Well, SP2 won't install for me because it apparently "does not support (my) additional languages". ¬_¬

12. getsuga12

getsuga12 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX870M
    well if you have the beta installed, i don't think there should be any problems. From here on out, you won't have to go through windows update to get any updates for dx11 (you'll be getting them through the usual directx packs). The platform update is just to enable support for dx11 among other things, i believe

13. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090