Nvidia Card needs driver for Windows 7

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA Modified Drivers' started by threerandot, Oct 16, 2009.

1. threerandot

threerandot New Member

GPU:
    Zotac GeForce FX5200 256
    Hi

I originally placed this message in the regular sections for drivers for Nvidia cards, but perhaps it is better placed here.

Perhaps someone here can help me find a suitable driver for this card (Nvidia GeForce FX 5200) for use in Windows 7. It seems that neither Microsoft or Nvidia are going to support this card for Windows 7. Mine is a Zotac model so I don't know if this makes a difference.

I am presently using this driver:
    19062_win7x32.exe

However after first installing it, I only got a screen resolution of 1024 x 768 on my 19" monitor which has a resolution of 1440 x 900. I am hoping to gain a resolution of 1440 x 900.

After installing the above driver, I updated it using Windows because there was also a small yellow exclamation mark on it. After the update, I now have a resolution of 1360 x 768. This is a little better, but I still want a 1440 x 900 res.

So, can anyone here recommend a better modified driver that will unlock whatever my video card is capable of? I would really appreciate any and all suggestions for such a driver. If I have left anything out, feel free to ask and I will include it here.

Note: I also tried installing this driver, but without success
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_96.85_2.html

Thanks,
    Shawn

2. Öhr

Öhr Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 5700XT @ H₂O
    try this one:
    32bit: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_175.19_whql.html
    64bit: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x64_175.19_whql.html

if it refuses to install, overwrite nv_disp.inf with this one(located in C:\NVIDIA\WinVista\175.19\English or C:\NVIDIA\WinVista64\175.19\English):
    32bit: http://www.mediafire.com/?n5mjyfyimzb
    64bit: http://www.mediafire.com/?qnmumntgzmn

disclaimer: whatever you do with this, im not at fault. its yours alone. kehehehe

good luck. and maybe you should consider getting a new graphics card. i bet you can get a geforce 6x00 for less than 20 bucks

3. threerandot

threerandot New Member

GPU:
    Zotac GeForce FX5200 256
    Hi

Thanks for the input, but I have tried many, many different drivers. Some support Aero, some don't. The one thing in common with all of the drivers, is that when it comes to games, none of them allow them to come up at 1440x900. I was wondering if someone could perhaps help me build a driver for better performance on my system. I have never done anything like this and I would basically need the help of an expert.

I cannot afford to buy a better card and I do not want to overclock my present card at all. There may even be a .inf file that would do the job, but which driver is the best one?

At present I am using a Windows based driver that gives the best results.
    169.21_forceware_winxp_32bit_english_whql

I can achieve my desired resolution of 1440x900. This only supports the desktop. Games like world of goo come up in 4x3 aspect ratio. I am hoping to improve my cards performance so I can get a 16:9 ration on everything. Aero isn't necessary for me.

I did install PowerStrip briefly, but I am too scared to fool with it too much as I am worried I might fry my card. It seems pretty limited in forcing a given resolution (1440x900) or at least without clocking my card.

So, in short, this nvidia card is very hard to use in Windows 7. I do hope that you could recommend someone who may want to take a crack at upgrading the driver(s) compatible with this card.

This is also a generic version of my card, a Zotac, if I am not mistaken. I have been to their site and they no longer support this card.

If you could add some more ideas or suggestions, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

4. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    man, start a payapl donation account and i will send a few bucks your way, a few people like m and you can get yourself a new card. you can get cards that are so mcuh faster then what you have, for basically what would cost you to get a chinese take out.

no driver will make the card from the worst generation in nvidia's history work better.

5. threerandot

threerandot New Member

GPU:
    Zotac GeForce FX5200 256
    Well, its all been a big misunderstanding. I had installed two games on my computer and they would not play in widescreen as they did on my wifes computer. We only discovered last night what the problem was. My wife had her LG monitor set in wide mode!

I then installed Guild Wars and voila... a beautiful 16 x 9 screen! Its amazing how one simple misunderstanding can screw things up.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions!

6. day0day

day0day Banned

Thanks agian, i have learned much here!