5850 Problems

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by st0jko, Oct 20, 2009.

1. st0jko

st0jko Member

GPU:
    8800GT
    Ok.. This is my first post here so be gentle.

First let mi state that I'm royally disappointed with my new Sapphire 5850. I already contacted the store where i bought it, and told them that I'm returning the product if i cant fix the problems in the next few days...

So the first thing that i did when i got the new card was run Shift, boost all eye-candy to the max and started playing. As I'm sure you've noticed, game doesn't run that well on most of the ATI cards, so disappointment came quick. First game ever on my brand new, almost top of the line card, and i got down to 12 FPS. I wasn't quite sure what was wrong. I thought maybe the graphics in this game is way better that my eyes can see, so i lowered my settings to no AA, no AF, all set to medium @ 1680x1050. There was no difference what so ever.

I said ok... I'm gonna try GTA4. The game i liked so much, and wanted to see it run on higher settings on my new 1gig card. I left graphical setting default and loaded up the savegame. In the house where i spawned fraps said 70FPS. It looked very promising. As i was leaving my hideout, FPS started to drop fast. By the time i was out on the streets i had about 20-30 fps and at some points it dropped down below 15 and even 10. This was a lot worse than on my old 8800GT.

I wrote about my problems on Slovenian tech forum, and they came up with a few ideas about how my old(nvidia) drivers could be a problem, etc. So i run driver sweeper from guru3d, your uninstaller to uninstall some remaining nvidia stuff... Nothing helped. Next thing i tried was un-overclocking my CPU to its default settings, didn't help. I was afraid to reset my bios cause i wasn't sure if my onboard raid0 would survive. Anyway... After nothing helped, last thing that i thought of that i can do was reinstall win. I did that, installed drivers from official website, installed shift and the problem was still there...

I've been monitoring my GPU load during gaming and it almost never goes above 50% in GTA4 and is around 25% in Shift. Playing the first misson of crysis warhead @ maxed settings 2xAA/1680x1050 loaded the gpu about 75% and i got around 25fps. Also 12500gpu points on vantage(performance) loaded the gpu to 99%

Please give me some advise about what else i can try. I'm willing to give this card a chance because when i watch those reviews and i see those frames/s on maxed out setting, i... well i like it and i want it but i cant seem to achive it...

Now i know my cpu is quite slower than those I7 OC-ed to 4GHz that they use on those tests, but i still belive that my Q6600 @ 3400MHz should be enough for all games. BTW i'm running Catalyst 09.11

For the end i have to say that this is rather unpleasant experience for an ex-nvidia fanboy getting his first ATI card.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  2. mtaca

mtaca New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850
    Hello,

I am also quite new in this forum, but using the same video card as you and also playing GTA4 and NFS Shift at 1680x1050 I've decided to share my experience.

I am absolutely thrilled about this card; this has replaced a BFG 8800GTS 640 which served me very well. In NFS Shift I had expected a drop in performance because of NVIDIA Physics, but it seemed that my CPU is doing a very good job here. I didn't actually measured the FPS, but I play this game almost at maximum settings without a problem (I am sure well beyond 40FPS).

In GTA 4 I am extremely happy! I actually maxxed out all the settings I could in the game and in the benchmark the FPS never dropped below 65 (actually it was always at 65, no matter what settings I've changed).

I am running the include drivers, so I don't know if there are such big differences in performance. And I didn't had the time to run 3DMark or Vantage until now.

So, in my humble opinion, if you can, check your card in another PC configuration and see the changes. If nothing changes, then maybe you got a bad card.

3. MLS

MLS Active Member

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD5850
    I'd try the drivers from the official catalyst site. I have NFS: Shift, and yeah the FPS in that game isn't spectacular but it is playable. I don't have GTA4 to try, but Crysis maxes my GPU load and I get ~30-40 FPS on all enthusiast @ 1680x1050.

Good luck.

4. ElectronEng

ElectronEng New Member

GPU:
    CF 5850 HIS/Sapphire
    I have a Sapphire 5850 as well as a HIS 5850 and I am able to play all
    those games with no issues with the drivers released on Oct 13 by AMD.

The Previous RC6 drivers gave me nothing but problems! I had to use AMD GPU tool to set my clocks to default (turning off powerplay).

5. st0jko

st0jko Member

GPU:
    8800GT
    Which drivers would you suggest I 0install then. Please give me a specific link. As I've stated before, this is my first radeon and I'm not all that familiar with its drivers and what's best.

I'm using Vista64.

@edit

Also I made a deal with a friend to try my card in his new Phenom 2 955 system.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  6. MLS

MLS Active Member

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD5850
  7. RKOver

RKOver Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 @ 900MHz
    I wish people would only type a max of 20 words and not an essay :p

8. st0jko

st0jko Member

GPU:
    8800GT
    thanks MLS.. that is what i have installed and it doesnt work.

About an essay... Sorry, but i wanted to write as much as i came up with about the problem and what i've tried so far....

9. keenan

keenan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti Hydro Copper

Dont be sorry for anything, RKOver is just being silly...

Why dont you try to do a full format, reinstall the OS and drivers, then try a benchmark and a few games.

I'm sure it must be something software related, cause all your components are well upto standard to make that HD5850 work without any problems..

10. MLS

MLS Active Member

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD5850

11. st0jko

st0jko Member

GPU:
    8800GT
    Just as a notice.. I just cranked up my cpu to 3.6GHz. It gets me 13501 CB-CPU points on Cinebench R10. Super PI 1M takes 15.879s to calculate. I would assume slow CPU isnt an issue here...

I will install these drivers right now MLS.

12. MaxBlade

MaxBlade Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti/970/390/+ more
    Ok lol get rid of the idea "slow CPU". ANYONE with a I7 is NOT getting much better FPS. Just try different drivers. Sapphiretech.com has some.. blah blah .. in the end if you really are thinking about trying everything.. try reinstalling your OS. Its the LAST think I like to do.

13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    If you switched from an nVidia card to an ATI card without running DriverSweeper, or doing a clean install of Windows, you will experience reduced performance. nVidia's uninstaller does NOT remove all of the nV drivers. The portions of the nV drivers that are left behind are intended to prevent people switching to ATI from experiencing the full performance of their new card.

14. MLS

MLS Active Member

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD5850
    Do you really believe this? This is total nonsense. I uninstalled nvidia drivers before installing my ATI card and my performance matches what I expected.

15. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    welll i am not 2 sure about the nvidia conspiracy theory but i changed from nvidia to ati and i did correct procedure but had perf issues.

i did a fresh install of os and they disappeared. could have been co-incidence but i doubt it. :)

16. st0jko

st0jko Member

GPU:
    8800GT
    I already did a fresh install of the OS, but than i only tried Shift. And since Shift is causing a lot of problems to many ATI owners(which i didnt know 2 days ago), I will do a fresh install again tomorrow and try more games.

Wish me luck.

17. st0jko

st0jko Member

GPU:
    8800GT
    Ok... I just did a freh OS install. Installed these drivers and tried GTA4 COD4 and Shift. Everything worked the same as before reinstalling windows. CoD4 All Ghillied Up mission ran fine, GPU load was 99%

GPU load when playing shift:
    [​IMG]

Shift settings:
    [​IMG]

GTA4 FPS:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    (running fine inside safehouse)
    [​IMG]
    (not so much in front of the safehouse...)

Also GPU load during gta play:
    [​IMG]

gta settings:
    [​IMG]

:bang:
    I believe that these games should run better @ these settings... Right? :)
    Give me some advice about what I should try...

18. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Yeah, something's wrong here but I'm not really sure what. I have two 5770s, crossfire should be giving me a hassle but it isn't, I have no problems and in Crysis (Don't have the other two to test) both my GPUs hover at 95% or above.

EDIT: Are you doing all this with no AA or AF? See if AA is enabled in your driver panel. Also, try setting the 3d section of the driver panel to performance, and see how the GPU load looks then.

19. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    st0jko:
    if its true no wonder its so crappy, you have 2D clocks when playing GTA4. Does it switch to 2D even if you are inside buildings?

20. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    I think it just switched back when he checked. If you look, you can see that the graph gets tiny at the end.