Phenom II X4 high cpu temp, can it be for now?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Football Fan, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Football Fan

Football Fan Member

GPU:
    Palit gtx260 sonic OC
    Hello,

I`m trying to OC my phenom but... I still have box cooler. When it was oced to 3.3 max temps in prime95 tests were 61-62C and about 36 idle. Now i set it on 3.45 and temps after prime are 63-65C, playing even damanding games i never saw temps going even close to 60C. I know its high or really high but is it safe for this few winter months and after that i would change cooler to something better ?thx for help

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  2. Mega_Death

Mega_Death Maha Guru

GPU:
    I wouldn't recommend it.

3. Football Fan

Football Fan Member

GPU:
    Palit gtx260 sonic OC
    So i would have to resign from further overclocking i think :( thought that this 3.45 is stable but after more than a hour of prime i had BSOD

4. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    Aaaaaaarrrrg!
    62*C is the thermal threshold of the chip, so every time you hit it or go higher, you're actually damaging the little, itty-bitty transistors in there.

I wouldn't overclock that thing even a little bit without a decent cooler! The CoolerMaster Hyper 212 PLUS is a fantastic cooler that only costs $25USD (no idea of conversion rates to Poland) and does as well as the TRUE120, Vendetta and others in the tower cooler class - I'd be for checking into it!

Psychlone

5. Football Fan

Football Fan Member

GPU:
    Palit gtx260 sonic OC
    Psychlone you are talking about 125W version, mine is 95W and threshold for this chip is 71C.

I think i have a bigger problem- my PSU. 12v voltage is in idle at 11.78 but under full load(prime95 small fft plus furmark stability test) it drops to 11.20 no matter if cpu and graphic card is oced its always dropping like this. Soon i will pass 4 hours of prime95 and furmark running at the same time without no errors, the PC is hot 12V is at 11.20 rest of voltages are perfect. What should i do ? I read that atx 2.2 standard is +/- 10% on 12V line under full load but not lower than 11.. so i`m still in the safe area according to this. Do I really need new PSU ? I know its low but my PC seems to run quite fine and come on Chieftec 550W with 3x18A on +12V line is so bad ?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  6. Football Fan

Football Fan Member

GPU:
    Palit gtx260 sonic OC
    I checked voltages with cheap multimeter, and in idle 12V is 11.98 but under full load it drops to 11.48, other voltages are stable. So maybe i should keep my PSU for now what do you guys think ?

7. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    If you've multimetered the PSU, trust that. If it's really not going lower than 11V, then your PSU is fine.

It escaped me that you're running the 95W chip, but the fact still remains that anything higher than 60*C isn't beneficial to any overclock...the cooler you can keep it, the better.

Perhaps replace your thermal paste, making sure to get it very thin and spread evenly across the IHS of the CPU would help.

Good luck!

Psychlone

8. Football Fan

Football Fan Member

GPU:
    Palit gtx260 sonic OC
    Psychlone for now i decided to stay with this very little 3.2 which keeps my cpu under 60C.

I got mad and decided to buy corsair 650W suitable even for futher overclocking or hardware change and selling chieftec(if anyone will buy it:) )

9. Phatzy

Phatzy Guest

i see that on one said this " make sure that the cooler is seated correctly"

10. rogue71

rogue71 Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x 5870 / 3x U2410
    stock coolers are made for just that....stock. if youre going to oc any processor it is wise to get a higher end cooler than can handle the heat properly.