MSI Afterburner v.1.3.0 (2009-10-19)

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by msi-afterburner, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

No, sorry.

2. psyside

psyside Master Guru

GPU:
    7950 @1150/6000
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  3. zx81

zx81 Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX560Ti TwinFrozer2
    I Have asus EAH 4770 Xfire

Did a quick test, uninstalled previous version, don't have asus smart doctor installed, have catalyst 9_9 on vista x64, and also have AMD GPUCLOCKTOOL for overclock 850/1000 (but tried uninstalling that too in case there was a conflict)

not a good test, this is what I saw:

Core and memory sliders move but when hit apply, goes back to default when I use more than 830/850 - the max allowed by catalyst (see 2nd last paragraph). Monitoring in CCC and the clocks are never changed. The core voltage slider does move and appears to set the new voltage, but i have not checked with a mutlimeter. I have one so if no one else steps up, if you can show me where to measure I can do it tomorrow UK time as I have a day off.

I've tried empirically testing it just by setting the voltage up to 1.15 and running the cards greater than my normal safe overclock (850/1000). Well it ran a vantage run okay where before it would crash, but I got less score, but then I didn't exactly push it, just 860/1020 so thats inconclusive.

Fan control works perfectly

I'm not a power user but willing to help and give feedback if you spell out where to measure the voltage, and how to run that command extension

Versions 1.1 1.2 and 1.3 can set the core and memory to the catalyst max of 830/850 only. That AMDgpuclocktool works good with afterburner to get 850/1000 which from reading around is a common "max safe 4770 overclock"

thanks a lot, you should have a way that we can paypal you a donation as i don't mind paying for software that I would use.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  4. Unwinder

Nice to see that Jonny Manc user in that thread, thanks for the link, at least now I see true background of his story without hiding any details and without unreal "I don't use other hardware access tools together with Afterburner".
    I've already said him that Afterburner doesn't perform dynamic writes to VRM and said him and will say the same to you: DON'T TRY to use multiple tools accessing voltage controller AT THE SAME time. It CAN be dangerous, especially if some other tool is WRITING some data to VRM (and tools that monitor VRM temperatures WRITE data to VRM). Trying to display VRM status in ANY combination of AMDGPUClockTool, GPU-Z, Everest and Afterburner is DANGER. If you REALLY need to run those tools together, disable voltage controller monitoring in all of them but one.
    Probably giving easy voltage controls to beginners was not a good idea. That is why it is hidden that deep in RivaTuner and available to power users only. Anyway, that's MSI's choice. There is always a balance between happy hardcore overclockers and unhappy beginners and vice versa.

5. Unwinder

As I've said a few times already: that's limitation of AMD BIOS for all official AMD overclocking tools. Only unofficial overclocking methods (used in AMDGPUClockTool, GPUTool, ATITool and RivaTuner) can bypass it without BIOS flashing, but these unofficial overclocking methods are incompatible with PowerPlay and with Crossfire overclocking under old OSes like Windows XP, that is why you won't see them in official overclocking software of any AMD partners.

It would be REALLY nice to see multimeter reading from any 4770 owner. Unfortunately there are no old 4770 cards in MSI lab so only 5770 implementation was fully tested. And 4770 can probably need some database tweaks.

6. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    I would just like to throw in that the 5770 controls are all working just fine for me, even in crossfire. I searched the forum, so forgive me if this is common knowledge, but is there a specific reason I can't see the second GPU's temperature in the hardware monitor, despite being able to see all it's other stats?

7. Unwinder

AMD ULPS in action
    http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1034761844&postcount=30

8. Ertard

Ertard Member Guru

GPU:
    560 Ti @ 880/2200
    Thanks for this great tool. Nice job.

9. reon749

reon749 New Member

GPU:
    MSI/5770/1GB
    I'm waiting for the unlock bios. ^^

10. ElectronEng

ElectronEng New Member

GPU:
    CF 5850 HIS/Sapphire
    Afterburner is now my default GPU program! Excellent Program!

Controls my Crossfire 5850's perfectly!

11. Unwinder

Anybody want to be a Guineea pig to test unofficial overclocking methods in Afterburner? As you probably know, the official AMD overclocking methods don't allow you to bypass CCC clock limits. There are also unofficial methods inside AMD driver (these methods are used in AMDGPUClockTool, GPUTool, ATITool and RivaTuner), which allow to bypass clock limits by means of completely losing PowerPlay support and limited Crossfire support under Windows XP OS. In v1.3.0 I experimented with porting such unofficial overclocking implementation to Afterburner. It is not documented (and will not be officially documented in future) and locked by default but it can be unlocked via editing .CFG file. I'd like to test it myself, but unfortunately I still have not received 5870 sample from MSI. Anyone wish to experiment with alternate unofficial overclocking codepath?

12. reon749

reon749 New Member

GPU:
    MSI/5770/1GB
    Yah,I'm very interesting about it ,but My card is MSI 5770 and I using Win7 64bit.How to do that? Thanx.

By the way ,there're something wired that if I use Afterburn I can oc 960/1445 but if I use AMDGPUClockTool only can oc 960/1370.

13. Unwinder

It can be activated by adding the following text to MSIAfterburner.cfg:

[ATIADLHAL]
    EnableUnofficialOverclocking = 1

Nothing weird, that's called "old good AMD drivers" having multiple different overclocking implementations with different overclocking efficiency, different pros and cons in each of them. One way supports unlimited overclocking but doesn't support PowerPlay, other one relaxes memory timings, the third one has worse Crossfire compatibility, etc, etc. That was so in R5xx times and it has not changed at all.

14. reon749

reon749 New Member

GPU:
    MSI/5770/1GB
    I enable it,but it' not work.
    The GPU and Mem clock can't set any value now.
    It will goback to zero no matter what value I set .
    Like this:
    [​IMG]

15. Unwinder

Weird. Not sure if ATI private driver access library is included in Win7 x64 driver (it is in both x86 and x64 Vistas). Try to search for atipdlxx.dll into your Windows system folders and if it is not there - try to copy it from AMDGPUClockTool folder to Afterburner folder.

16. XLR8

XLR8 Member

GPU:
    HD4870 512MB
    OK, so here's my L6788A state dump (voltage control is greyed out inside Afterburner):

Code:
    Scanning GPU VEN_1002&DEV_9440&SUBSYS_24471682&REV_00&BUS_1&DEV_0&FN_0...
    Scanning I2C bus 0...
    Probing device 40...
    Invalid device
    Scanning I2C bus 1...
    Probing device 40...
    FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 
    FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF A0 A0 FF FF FF FF FF FF 
    FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 11 11 FF FF FF FF FF FF 
    53 28 CA 40 15 10 0B 06 74 6D FF FF FF FF FF FF 
    Scanning I2C bus 2...
    Probing device 40...
    Invalid device
    Scanning I2C bus 3...
    Probing device 40...
    Invalid device

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  17. sharkeer

sharkeer Guest

GPU:
    MSI N250GTS Twin Frozr
    i2cd dump file

18. Unwinder

To add unofficial voltage control support for this card you have to do the following:

1) Enable L6788A detection for this model. To do it add the following line to [Settings] section of your hardware profile (file with long filename identifying your GPU into your profiles folder):

L6788A_Detection = 1

2) Configure L6788A 3D voltage mapping. The VRM has 4 independent voltage control channels, each of them is mapped to one GPU power state voltage (i.e. 2D voltage, 3D voltage etc). It can be done by adding one of the following lines to [Settings] section of your hardware profile (file with long filename identifying your GPU into your profiles folder):

L6788A_Defaults = D4 15
    or
    L6788A_Defaults = D5 10
    or
    L6788A_Defaults = D6 0B
    or
    L6788A_Defaults = D7 06

(proper 3D voltage entry can be identified with DMM help only).

I'd start from adding from D7 06 config, it looks like the closest one and this channel contains the maximum voltage in your L6788A state:

[Settings]
    L6788A_Detection = 1
    L6788A_Defaults = D7 06

Then try use alternate configs if it doesn't work.

19. Unwinder

My bad, just found out that my unofficial codepath is implemented for Windows XP only. Vista/W7 paths will be added in the next build.
    So guinea pig offer is applied to Windows XP owners only ;)

20. Unwinder

Your dump and L6788A configuration doesn't match with reference 4770 configuration. So BIOS must be altered by ASUS and reference settings won't work. However, you may try to capture a few dumps for different voltages set via ASUS SmartDoctor so I'll be able to identify different VRM config user by ASUS and give you instructions on manual database modification.