Tessellation only for Directx 11 graphics cards future games?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Gameslove, Oct 18, 2009.

1. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    DX10 was never fully used, just like DX11 will never be fully used, because of the spectre of WindowsXP DX9.0c.

And BTW, DX10 adoption, all things considered, was quite high. Even DX9 took 3 years to really catch on, and that was without the previous OS not lacking support...

2. Demigod001

Demigod001 Member

xp has little to do with it. The consoles with dx9 class hardware do. We will get dx10 and 11 bits thrown in for marketing but until the consoles refresh there isn't the market for more dx10/11

3. Cornelius

Cornelius Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 770 2GB
    OpenGL/D3D developer here. I just want to clear up some misconceptions.

Hardware Tessellation is possible on any DX10 hardware. The developers just had to do it manually with the geometry shader. Problem is, most developers aren't keen to the idea of manually implementing tessellation geometry shaders for each object (unnecessary shaders are a PITA), plus it gets very complicated (and expensive) when using the geom shaders for other things, like shadow volume extrusions, and instancing. Geometry shaders would get LONG quickly, leading to horrendous performance- a self-defeating purpose of hardware tessellation, which was to increase the number of polygons without sacrificing much performance.

Microsoft remedied this in DX11 by adding a "tessellation stage" to the rendering pipeline. Instead of relying on shaders to do the tessellation work, they have a simpler (IMO- more elegant) way to implement tessellation on the hardware using simple function calls.

4. Cornelius

Cornelius Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 770 2GB
    Correction DX10 hardware adoption was high.

Problem is, Vista never really caught on. By making DX10 Vista-only, MS effectively shot the horse before it left the starting gate. Stupid! Stupid! Stupid! :bang:

Win7 seems to be promising. I know more people who use that than Vista now (even though it's not officially released...). I got my copy through MSDN a couple months ago. Hopefully, XP users will quicker to adopt it, and we can stop having to develop multiple Direct3D codepaths (DX9, DX10, DX10.1, DX11) and my company can focus on just one DX renderer and one OpenGL renderer.

5. quaker3

quaker3 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6850HD
    i have to say win7 doesnt work well for a winxp gamers.Many good games dont work on win7, and win7 is so annyoing-its an alert throwing machine. :)
    The bigest question(rethorical) is Why "downgrade" word appeared in dictionaries after vista release and win7.

6. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    Stop it; the PS3 uses OpenGL, so stop using consoles as an excuse. You code to the lowest supported feature, and thats DX 9.0c. As DX10+ is so radically different, you need a second software path to add extra support, which killed development.

7. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    You are doing it wrong......

8. hirmak

hirmak Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX285
    What're U saying?:3eyes:I'm using Windows 7 64 Bit RTM and I'd play all the games(only GTA 4 made a little bit problems with installing,but there's a solution for it,too)Windows 7 is so stabil like XP but faster and I didn't have any driver problems(that was a big surprise for me):banana: