Crysis and 'Real Lifesis" mod

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Sneakers, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Hey all, I just installed crysis again ( never been a fan of it for some reason but I was bored and thought I'd give it another go :) ).

Now I planned to try out the Reallifesis mod and see how that was, had read it improved fps and looked better yada yada.

Atm, I DL'ed it from here on Guru3d, and been playing around with it for 2-3 hours, but I'm not getting it to work as well as everyone one else.

Pre this "mod" I had 45 FPS average in bench @ 1900x1200 2x aa dx10 with the Lifesis mod and the autoexec etc I get like 35 and it runs quite abit worse then Vanilla, and tbh I can't see any real improvement in IQ other then the day and night cycle beeing fixed ( to day ).

Anyone care to shed some light on all this, what am I doing wrong here?

2. xxDATAxx

xxDATAxx Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 260 core 216
    Did you alter any of the graphics settings after you installed it? All of the graphics settings should say "Custom", and should be left that way. If for some odd reason the mod your using doesn't work like you would like it too, maybe you could have a look at one of the following.

Natural Mod
    Very quick and easy to use mod, with enhanced lighting effects.

Custom Crysis Config
    Although the folks over at incrysis.com have several mods floating around, this one IMO has the most to offer, and they have a newer version out for warhead as well.

Both of these mods provide an enhanced visual experience with a gain in FPS. If the "Real Lifesis" mod is not working out for you, then i would suggest giving one of the above a shot.

3. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    Lifesis mod doesnt improve FPS, it hurts FPS by a few per second, however there should be a very noticeable difference, especially on how the large leaves look on the bushes and on the light shining through the canopy.

4. Duke Nil

Duke Nil Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Yeah it should definitely hurt your fps a bit, if you want better performance change some of the values in the autoexe or try a different config/mod.

I personally don't mind getting 30-35 fps in this game, in fact just installed it w/ the LOD values from this config and am getting a pretty bad 17-30 fps but I haven't changed it yet cuz it looks fantastic (I'm also using the blink1 tod)

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009

5. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, when i use lifesis, i lost about 5fps on average, but i like how it looks.

Never tryed that Natural Mod, but it looks quite ugly from the screenshots, and anything but natural.

6. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    5 fps isn't terrible though considering how much the lilesis mod adds to it.

7. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Ah thanks for the fast answers guys. I guess I'm not doing any in perticular wrong then for loosing a few fps.

One thing I also noticed with this mod is that it blurs everything, its like looking in water except for when you aim and or walk close to things..like the deepofield is ultra tiny, that normal? :)

P.S

Also my gfx settings read custom etc like it should do after you put in some1 elses pre moded autoexec file, and I loaded the ToD2 wich everyone is talking about and the CV folders etc. Really not that impressed tbh :wanker:

The blurring ruins it all imo ;\..and I don't mean the blurr when you 180 or somethin but the perma 'looking through the bottom of a flask' effect :<

8. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Yes, it is, but as I mentioned in the short guide for it:
    source: http://guru3d.com/news/attempt-at-photorealistic-crysis-with-real-lifesis/

9. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I quite like the DOF blur, makes it look like very film like, and makes it helps hide some of the iffy textures, but on the default setting it does kick in on a very short range stuff, so needs to be fiddled about with to get right.

10. Understandable

Understandable Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 570 SC 900/1800/2200
    i just started playing crysis as well for the first time and im loving the lifesis mod. I did reduce the DOF from 2 to 1 through the in-game console,but what program do u use to open the autoexec.cfg?

11. Duke Nil

Duke Nil Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Just notepad

12. Understandable

GPU:
    GTX 570 SC 900/1800/2200
    lol...i should have known...thanks

13. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Cheers mate.

Btw is it possible to play around with the real lifesis and still change like the settings in graphics>advanced if you feel you need some more frames..or does that eff the whole thing?

Also with the DOT2 selected will the game ALWAYS play out like noonish and never have a full day/night cycle? This recommended for some1 who never actually played through the whole thing but the demo before?

14. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    bump :x

Still woundering about above question!

15. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    When you start up the game / map the config file is loaded, so putting things on another setting in the menu wont help. unless you change values in the cfg aswell.

it will have the day/night cycle. some things will look too dark when its night though , since the dark colours are enhanced too. :)

16. Understandable

GPU:
    GTX 570 SC 900/1800/2200
    kinda off the topic but...

Im really having a tough time with this game,the enemies accuracy seems like it at 98% even at long distances. Ill have them in my crosshair and my accuracy seems like its 60% unless im really up close. Night time is insanely dark with this mod,I cant move anywhere until my night vision recharges,hell i cant even take on enemies,then i have to act like snake and sneak everywhere. I think im using the cloak way too much,but thats because the accuracy dont seem right.
    Guess i can try to up the brightness again and see it that helps at night.

17. georaldc

georaldc Guest

GPU:
    MSI 6970
    You can still use r_DepthOfField = 2 to enable the Very High/Enthusiast DOF effect. The real way to disable the environmental DOF effect is to use the cvar r_ColorGradingDOF = 0.

IMO, real lifesis can sometimes look nice but that aggressive depth of field effect is just ridiculous. Its kinda obvious they did that so that you could produce some really pretty stills and screenshots, but for normal gameplay use? Hell no. If you ask me, they should have just either gone with a dynamic depth of field effect where the game blurs automatically depending on where and what your looking at (kinda like the old effects trailer where it shows Nomad lying down on the grass and throwing a grenade). I remember seeing mods that do this sort of thing. Or, they could have just sticked to the default one given in the game.

Also, its odd how no matter what I did, I could never get the same quality as their old, under development screenshots. Those looked really perfect, but ingame the TOD was a mixed bag.

Don't see why the mod wouldn't allow that. The whole point with real lifesis is that its a TOD mod that modifies the maps itself, so no matter what settings you use, change, modify edit inside and outside the game, the lifesis lighting will still be there. The supplied config files are just what the developer thinks will look best with the mod.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  18. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Alright, got it now =)

In the end I had to reinstall the game since I ****ed it all up when deleting the real cvars configs etc..

I kinda prefer the vanilla look really, the over saturated look wasn't my cup of tea in the end. But now I kinda miss the depthoffield, and would like it on 1 :) but dosn't seem like I can apply it on the vanilla version.

Have to add that crysis is really a mix of real pretty things and real goat ugly jaggies that no ammount of AA can get rid off, like the trees and grass. And since you can't run that edge smoothing thing TOGETHER with AA ur pritty screwed there. :bang:

19. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Downsampling (Kinda achieves supersampling AA.) would work, but of course at a hefty performance hit. :)

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,...High-Res-Gaming-with-256-megapixels/Practice/

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,695146/Crazy-Crysis-screenshot-25600-x-16000-pixels/News/

(Obviously you don't need to go that high as it's pretty much kills performance, looks pretty though as it's all smooth, hehe.)

EDIT: Or the new AA mode for the ATI HD 5000 series. :p
    http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,...irst-DirectX-11-graphics-card/Reviews/?page=6