New GPU or wait?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by tsunami231, Oct 13, 2009.

1. jmpnop

jmpnop Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 260 Core 216
    huh? Many don't care if it doesn't bottleck..some don't want to take the pain to do it...

2. -ToasT-

-ToasT- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670
    Why? Is it affecting you directly? No.

Not everyone OC's. Its a personal preference. Answer his question or get out of the thread...

Back on topic, you should give us your budget. It will help people give you advice that actually applies to you.

3. kingsface

kingsface Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 570 @ 900Mhz AXP
    Omg 1.6 really ?!

How many amps on the 500 12v rails. With a GTX 260 should be at maximum load I reckon.

In general and IMO you dont really need a gtx 260 for 19" or less. (Don't know wat you are using)
    I'm using a 9800GT oc with a 19" and its great. The performance only becomes and issue in certain games that are a bit too demanding or have higher physx requirements.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    seeing as I spent 380$ and some change 2 or so years ago on, MB,CPU,4gb and another 120$ on the video card year later it around the prices range....

Most demanding game i have cyrsis warhead and i dont play that much..I play emulators for ps2/ps1 etc and mmorpg mostly

so there for OCing don't mean much to me, Long as the game runs 30+ fps and its smooth I don't care about the extra FPS a OC will give me, just cause most the people at Guru3d or anyplace else for that mater like to OC stuff don't mean every one wants to or cares too, yes OC extends the legth a build will last ,but when you do build a new build every 3 years or so it don't matter

5. jmpnop

jmpnop Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 260 Core 216
    OC doesn't extend life. It reduces life if not cooled enough. And for the budget 5770 will do it. Don't get DX10 old tech. If you wait, after the release of 300 series, the prices will come down and you may afford a better card..

6. Cornelius

Cornelius Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 770 2GB
    I think you should wait one month, or at least until nvidia releases their new GT300s.

I imagine you'll be able to find Radeon 5850s for ~$200 by then (IMO).

7. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    There's no def launch date for the GT300s.

8. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    I'd sit tight and see what nvidia brings, shouldn't be to long. Offcourse there's always new tech on the way but there's a difference between waiting 9 months and 2/3 months.

And you really should think about oc'ing, just learn a few basics first like resetting your BIOS first, so in case everything falls apart u can fall back on that.

9. Cornelius

Cornelius Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 770 2GB
    True, but it has to be soon. Nvidia would be unwise to allow the 5800s to go uncontested for more than 3 months.

Besides, there's a sudden shortage of 260/275/285s... I'm thinking nvidia is allowing the the current supply to run out before they release the 300s very soon. :)

Fermi (based on 300) will be available in Nov too.

All indicators say that the new GPU will be released within the month.

10. Omagana

Omagana Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    It's not a case of them being "wise", Nvidia just havn't been able to get their cards into production yet.

Fermi isnt based on the 300, Fermi IS the new GPU. GT300 is just the nickname every1 is giving the new cards untill Nvidia properly name them, so far they just refer to the new cards by their codename - Fermi.

And there are also indicators to say that the new GPU won't be released this year. For example the low yield rumours and Nvidia not even having an engineering sample to show off at their conference.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I would love a 300 series but that would require me to get new setup and defiantly new PSU. And i prefer to stay way from ATi as all the cards I ever had from them I had problems with both Hardware failing and driver problems.

I don't know if they better now seeing it been quiet a few years since i had one, actual around the time 3dfx died was last time i had ati card so long time ago lmao. I also don't like AMD either,but AMD/ATi one and same now. Once brand turns me off i usual never go back

My MB has some software rest of bios reseting, but seeing my case don't really have nice air flow i dont wana OC and seeing i been procrastinating on getting a new case with better air flow for years that probably wont change any time soon

And my CPU idles are 40c ish and gets as high as 60c ish under full load in winter. And 45c ish to 65c ish summers i not sure if those high or lower temps for my cpu either. I know the After market Artic cooler i got for my 9800gt helped cool cpu by about 4 or so degrees

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    So, I guess Intel having to recall the Pentium3 and nVidia outright lieing to consumers and investors about KNOWN problems with G84/G86 didn't turn you off at all. If everyone bought based on the same beliefs as you....nVidia would have gone belly up when the news hit about G84/G86 in summer 08.

I don't know what problems you've had with ATI cards or their drivers....but I've had just as many nVidia cards fail as I have ATI cards. For drivers, I've never had a problem with either. Apparently those of us on these forums that have never, at any point, experienced a driver problem from either manufacturer....are very few. Closest I've ever had to a driver problem, was nVidia waiting 3 months to release a driver to support the 7600GS when it was released. Card hit store shelves in Aug 06.....first supporting driver wasn't released until Nov 06. Had a bright, shiny new 7600GS sitting on my desk for 3 months that I couldn't use because nVidia refused to add support to any of the half dozen beta drivers that were leaked between Aug and Nov. Had I made purchases based on your belief....I'd have never touched another nV card....in fact, my GTX275 will be my last nV card until they figure out how to include an onboard audio chip for HDMI audio like ATI did. Sorry, but I don't like stringing extra wires in my case because the idiots at nV are too cheap, lazy or stupid to include an onboard audio chip for true HDMI 1.3 support....especially when Creative is removing SPDIF outputs from their ****ty audio cards.

13. Omagana

Omagana Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    ^ I always had Nvidia cards, 4870 was my first ATI one simply cause on release the 260 had a stupid price tag.

Can honestly say 48xx drivers have never given me the slightest bit of bother.

14. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    Look at whats out there now ignore whats coming as there is always something new in the GPU market or something even better round the corner.

I always decide by

1. How much money do i want to spend.
    2. what is out there for that amount of money ATI / Nvidia.
    3. what is the warranty period.
    4. what do the reviews say.
    5. Will my hardware be good enough to handle the new GPU. ie PSU
    6. really important what do other users of the hardware say.
    7. What are the reviews like for the GPU.

Then i purchase what ever i have decided meets the above knowing it will do what i want it to do if it doesnt i save more and start again.