HD 5870 or GT300?

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by bombardier, Oct 13, 2009.

1. bombardier

bombardier Master Guru

GPU:
    4090 Phantom
    As the title says, should I go for the 5870, should I wait until Nvidia launches their new GT300 to see what it's got?

2. Flopster

Flopster Banned

GPU:
    Club3D 8600GTS 256MB
    Waiting wouldn't hurt in any way, since the prices of HD5800 series will come down a bit by the time nVidia will release it's Fermi cards:p

3. Th3_Edge

Th3_Edge Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5870
    I'd wait and see. That is actually what I am doing. Your 285 isn't hurting for performance so until you see what both have to offer what is there to gain?

4. bombardier

bombardier Master Guru

GPU:
    4090 Phantom
    You're right. But I think that when the GT300 comes, the price of actual GT2xx series will go down badly.

5. Th3_Edge

Th3_Edge Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5870
    Oh, you are looking to sell your 285. Well, that makes it a much tougher decision then. What if you were to use your 285 for PhysX? Of course, that is assuming you go with the 300.

6. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Isn't a 285 for Physx overkill?

7. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    HD 5870 IMO. Physx is useless, and slows games down when it is cool to use. Also ATI is cheaper price wise, and my Sapphhire HD 5870 is destroying everything I throw at it. I just can't wait to experience DIRT 2 in DX 11. I got a coupon for a free steam download with my card. It even came with Battlestations pacific.

8. Omagana

Omagana Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Looks like 5900 is gonna be realesed along side GT300 ;)

9. bombardier

bombardier Master Guru

GPU:
    4090 Phantom
    I saw that news earlier. I think I'm going to wait and see what nvidia has to offer. Don't wanna make a harsh decision.

10. Flopster

Flopster Banned

GPU:
    Club3D 8600GTS 256MB
    Yeah, that's the best thing to do IMO.

11. itsb1again

itsb1again Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG Geforce GTX 285 @ 702
    Im thinking about making the switch to ATI so I can run more then 1 video card.. But i'm scared to death about the drivers. I don't think i've ever had a good experience with ATI drivers..

12. AgentJadeD

AgentJadeD Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG/GTX260x2 @13%OC
    Well vendors have already stop producing the GT2XX series.

And the GT300/Fermi will destroy ATI once again in performance. I just hope the price is right. Otherwise I'll have to stick with GTX 260 SLi

13. ice_chiney

ice_chiney Master Guru

GPU:
    Dual 690s
    ^^ dude, u sound like a die-hard nVidia guy..

same here ;) !!

i guess u can wait on the 300 to come out.

it might drop the price of the card i acutally wanna SLi as well :)

14. DementeD

DementeD Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD "6970" 1000/1500
    proof?...oh thats right ..U HAVE NONE...
    just a hope..and u have no idea what ati will do to counter the gt300 when it FINALLY comes out in..what March is it slated for now??
    ati is in much better position then nvidia right now with gfx cards..5870 today 5870x2 tomorrow possibly a 5890 refresh and Heca by the end of 2010

IMO the waiting game is stupid..ull never upgrade..just decide when your card isnt enough and then upgrade..or if u have the money to do it..do it..sell your card and be happy..

me personally ill wait til i feel that i need a nice lil boost in performance..however no card out right now will give me that so no need for me.

15. AgentJadeD

AgentJadeD Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG/GTX260x2 @13%OC
    Heres your proof.

As for performance. I get average 37fps on Crysis with everything Very High 4xAA and 16xAS @ 2048x1152.

And thats not good enough for me. I only enjoy games when I'm above 60 fps all the time.

16. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Pretty sure DementeD wasn't referring to this in your post, everybody knows that.

As for proof of performance for GT300 how does this BS prove it. Can you prove you even achieve those numbers, seem to high to me.

17. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    Dude. Facts facts. There's only speculation. The new card could very well be another nVdia 5x00. Which was a total flop IMO.

Things are getting interesting.

Personally, i also don't like waiting. U could be enjoying the 5870 for 3-5months before nV get their card out.

18. AgentJadeD

AgentJadeD Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG/GTX260x2 @13%OC
    If you look at all the vendors sites. You can see hardly have any stock of these cards.

heres a screenshot of crysis.

19. DementeD

DementeD Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD "6970" 1000/1500
    yea i was referring to the fact that the fermi will DESTROY ati's solution at the time its released..theres no proof of that only speculation and hopes of it..but until nvidia puts out some numbers you won't know..thats all im saying..im sure itll be competitive though atleast it better be for our sake.

20. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    lol, are u a bot? Because u keep posting pointless BS.

BTW here's a picture of my mother

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009