SPDIF audio Loop back wire to onboard audio?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by FocusedWolf, Oct 11, 2009.

1. FocusedWolf

FocusedWolf Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce 8200M
    So i got a gtx 285 coming and i want to make use of the audio loopback wire so that i can get audio on that hdmi videocard output.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Info that might help:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Photograph of the "HD_AUDIO" and "SPDIF_OUT" pins on my board: http://wolfsfiles.googlepages.com/BoardPins.jpg

This is the onboard sound chip: "8 channel high-definition audio: Audio CODEC: ALC888"... made by RealTek

Board name: MCP61PM-HM (Nettle)

Webpage about board: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c00906137#N1462

Actual manafacturer of board, which lists no information about this board model: http://www.ecsusa.com/ECSWebSite/Index.aspx?MenuID=0&LanID=9

My plan so far:
    So ya i saw some instruction images on the internet:
    http://www.evga.com/support/faq/files/spidf/spdifinfo.jpg
    http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a117/stormy1352/evgsspdif.png

Those lead me to believe that i can plug the audio loop-back wire into the HD_AUDIO clusters bottom right 2 pins.
    GROUND being the bottom rightmost pin (with respect to my boards photograph), and SPDIF being in the same row just to the left of GROUND.

Their's also that SPDIF_OUT cluster to the right and, from what i read on the internet, those are (POWER [5V], SPDIF, GROUND), but not in that order most likely so i would have to use my voltmeter to be sure.

So what should i do to hook up the audio loop wire (yes… my monitor accepts HDMI) :p

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  2. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    Gen Hardware or the Audio section might have been better. But, I'll help if I can. Those pics from EVGA are from their boards and wont help ya much at all. The Spdif header is where you want to go. As far as what between those 3 pins are, I cannot verify. But like the EVGA pic of Ground and Spdif signal, those are correct as for which wire colors will go where when connecting via this method. You will connect to the x l spdif l ground (x being no connection) if your info is correct out of the three pins . . . first one is not connected. Red/pink goes to middle and ground being on the right most connector. That this again is presuming that you do have correct information about your board. Then you should be golden. Just don't forget to change your default output to spdif when you want the signal to go to your monitor. That should be in your Realtek control panel.

Let us know how it goes. :)

EDIT: make absolutely sure you don't connect to the 5 volt pin though!!!!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  3. FocusedWolf

FocusedWolf Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce 8200M
    The following 3 websites all seem to indicatate that the configuration is: ground, spdif, 5V.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/board/message?board.id=Monitor&message.id=859&query.id=237735#M859

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/att...2701-intel-d945gclf2-dual-core-atom-spdif.jpg

http://www.yorkspace.com/2007/10/72

I'll check it later today with a meter... Finally... the day when my video card is supposed to be delivered!! can finally say goodbye to that crappy nvidia 6150se onboard and see how high windows rates my graphic hardware level capabilities now lol.

4. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    Cool that you found the correct configuration! I did some looking around the other night as well but couldn't up with anything definitive for you. Yeah, you'll enjoy that card a lot. Plus running the sound through the cards eliminates yet another cord. Keeps things tidy. You'll enjoy it a lot! Good idea to check the pin with the mulitmeter. That had me kinda worried actually. :)

5. FocusedWolf

FocusedWolf Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce 8200M
    ya i can confirm it... (ground, SPDIF, 5V).

5.08 V actually lol..

wow this is funny "6:50 P.M. THE PACKAGE WAS MISSED AT THE UPS FACILITY, UPS WILL DELIVER ON THE NEXT BUSINESS DAY"... i still had my hopes up at 7:00 pm when i refreshed the page... but at 7:04 pm i saw this update lol.

Ya UPS fail. Looks like more time to get ready for the card... do some defragging etc lol. Think i'll download Americas Army 3 to see if it really sucks like everyone's been saying :wanker:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  6. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    Uggghhhh! Sometimes it makes you want to give UPS employees the Hammer Gauntlet! Bet they wont mess it up again, right? :D

7. FocusedWolf

FocusedWolf Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce 8200M
    lol... ya the gears are turning!! Got some time to kill!! :biggun: :)

PARSIPPANY, NJ, US 10/14/2009 8:45 A.M. OUT FOR DELIVERY
    10/14/2009 5:04 A.M. DESTINATION SCAN
    PARSIPPANY, NJ, US 10/13/2009 6:50 P.M. THE PACKAGE WAS MISSED AT THE UPS FACILITY, UPS WILL DELIVER ON THE NEXT BUSINESS DAY
    PARSIPPANY, NJ, US 10/12/2009 10:01 P.M. DESTINATION SCAN
    10/12/2009 11:28 A.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
    MAUMEE, OH, US 10/09/2009 11:15 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
    10/09/2009 6:06 P.M. ORIGIN SCAN
    US 10/09/2009 5:41 P.M. BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

8. stormy

stormy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5600XT
  9. FocusedWolf

FocusedWolf Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce 8200M
    Hmm yep still nothing... lets see if they get here before the time it takes me to move 20 gb of data out of my "Games" partition, and defrag it, and install the crysis demo... yepp

EDIT: yep did all of that plus ran the defrag like 3 times per partition... maybe i can next do a registry clean and monitor wash down.... :bang:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  10. FocusedWolf

FocusedWolf Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce 8200M
    Finally at 6:50 freekin pm the UPS guy delivered!

So ya i'm impressed with the card :)

My preliminary experience is this:
    i tried the Crysis demo at maximum resolution it maxed at 1600 x whatever, and all textures set to "Very High" detail (as that is the max), and 4x anti-aisling (for some reason 8x crashes the game... not totally sure yet why)...

So ya that runs at a smooth frame rate... not to shabby lol

I put vsync on because i had some frame tearing with the videos but i might turn it off.

------------------------------------------------
    Ok the problem parts... hd audio doesn't work... not sure why... but i can guarentee the spdif loopback wire is in the right place.

When i try to play sound i hear a sort of buzz (it's very high frequency like the sound of electricity in a wire... not a loud buzz sound) so at some point the sound just either isn't being created properly by the sound card, or i don't know what. And ya the buzz stops when the sound being played stops.

hmm. Ya so i put back the standard audio wire for now lol.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009

11. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    Might be possible that the polarity is reversed. You have the black wire to ground, right? Also are audio and chipset drivers up to date?

Edit: One other question..In which method is your Monitor connected? (HDMI-DVI dongle, HDMI-DVI cable) and is there and setting on your monitor that may need to be adjusted?

Sorry, just trying to cover known bases.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009