Got Q9550, is i5 worth the upgrade????

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by davetheshrew, Oct 7, 2009.

1. azri

azri Member Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D GTX260 SP-216 OC
    i9 will hit sometimes in 2010. and sandy bridge will be release soon. and as far as i know it will require a new motherboard.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  2. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    do u mean Sandy Bridge and not sandy bride lol?

Ye, I heard about that too. Both AMD and Intel will require a new socket for their next generation processors.

deltatux

3. azri

azri Member Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D GTX260 SP-216 OC
    oops sorry. haha. typo.

4. Hekynn

Hekynn Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 460 1gb MSI HAWK
    Go for the core i7 860 same price as the 920 and CLOCKED HIGHER. From 2.6ghz to 2.8ghz.

5. biggerx

biggerx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070 FTW
    And there will be newer chipsets after those...

The cycle is endless. I'm personally waiting for 8 core CPUs.

6. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Guest

GPU:
    some green some red
    wow I never thought I would see a reluctance to move forward with the I5/7 series in this forum!
    Its cool though I do see your point of view but that turbo thing sounds cool and hyperthreading, last time I saw that it was on my old prescHOT lol and it didnt work well at all but from what I here it works well now, I like that.
    I also like lower wattage and lower temps with my upgrades and from what I see I will get that, so I will like that too. Maybe games will take advantage of HT, I dunno, it might and then my q9550 will suck right?
    But, if I get an i7 on 1156(only because its cheaper) I will be cool because I made the upgrade. Also I think if I dont sell it now the price will plummet like tommorow and then Im fooked because Im not rolling in it lol.

7. Nato.dbnz

Nato.dbnz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    You can try and justify it to yourself all you want but the simple answer to your thread title "Got Q9550, is i5 worth the upgrade?" that most of us are trying to tell you is no, it's not worth it for you to upgrade right now. If you really wanted to upgrade for gaming then why not get a 5870 or wait for the nvidia cards, you'll get a far better performance improvement from that.

8. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    HyperThreading won't speed up gaming. You're right now just finding excuses to get something you don't need. I'd still vote for keeping your current rig. I see no issues with your current rig at all, it's a fine piece of machinery as it is why waste the money on side-upgrades? Wait for Gulftown or Core i9, then jump on an upgrade.

Machines will eventually be obsolete and even if you sell it, you're still selling it at a loss, so why bother? By the time you get a new upgrade, the prices will have dropped and something worth upgrading will come out.

deltatux

9. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Guest

GPU:
    some green some red
    ok your swinging me towards selling my gpu and going for a 5870 instead, I was trying to justify my decisions a bit lol, I like shiny new stuff thats all lol, If it doesnt sell tonight I think il pull it from the auction and get a new gpu and two more displays:)

10. biggerx

biggerx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070 FTW
    ftfy :D

11. Karnage3099

Karnage3099 Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970
    Now that sounds like a fun upgrade, plus you be able try out that eye infinity playing games, instead off running boring benchmarks to see your improvements over one rig or to the other lol.

12. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Guest

GPU:
    some green some red
    yeah dude I know lol Im not a bench whore hehe I have taken the stuff off the auction now. Im waiting till xmas now to see if santa will bring me a new screen, or two:banana: im going to sell my gpu next week i think so I can get this new card. Cheers lads.

13. biggerx

biggerx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070 FTW
    Wise decision. I was reading through a lot of the reviews on new egg & that's the sentiment even from the guys with Q6600's.

14. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Excellent decision. Get a Radeon HD 5870 and you should be a rly happy camper =D!

deltatux

15. maddy2012

maddy2012 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    Glad i came in this thread tbh, was thinkin of gettin an i5/i7 but now i think ill go for a q9550, another 4gig of ram, and a nice new HDD, and it'll still probably end up cheaper.

Oh and those new ATI cards are lookin really tempting =D

16. Octavean

Octavean Guest

GPU:
    GTX960 / GTX670 / GTX760
    Not too long ago Dell was selling 3x 23” Samsung LCD monitors for the price of two. I wish I would have jumped on it.

17. biggerx

biggerx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070 FTW
    You'll also see a huge improvement from that measly processor you're using.

18. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Guest

GPU:
    some green some red
    I agree, q9550 smokes loads of different procs, I had an e8400 at one point but the q9550 makes everything a lot smoother and its made me lazy about keeping apps open lol I can run most stuff while gaming and the performance hit is negligable.
    Im holding on to this proc and have decided to sell off my ram and get some faster stuff, my ocz 800 sticks go up to 950mhz but Im sure with new sticks I will get my 4.00ghz to go along with my new card, might go for a 5850 in the end, not much between the two revisions.

19. DrHycodan

DrHycodan Guest

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080
    well if you're still on a dual core, then you should upgrade to an i5 instead of a q9550. The i5 is actually $20 cheaper too.

20. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    He's not on a dual core though, he's on a 9550 so its not really worth the upgrade

I'd wait for i9, which is basically what i am doing :)