Fermi, GT300 to launch in late November

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by YuKsS, Oct 7, 2009.

1. YuKsS

YuKsS Guest

GPU:
    Asus gtx 1070 strix oc
    If all goes well

Nvidia's CEO first said that Fermi, GT300 product will launch on Tuesday and didn't want comment whether it can launch in 2009 or 2010. After a while we found out from chaps from top management that this new 40nm chip should launch in 2009.

After digging a bit more, we found out that you can expect to see Fermi officially in late November. This date can easily slip as the engineers work around the clock to make it happen. The first sample is out and Nvidia did show it to some important investors and analysts. Nvidia is adamant that the physics demo is real and not a fake thing.

ATI will enjoy availability and exclusivity on market as it has two month lead but we hope ATI can get more cards out and serve them to early DirectX 11 adopters. Nvidia also told us that GT300 was never really a codename but we don't really care as GT300 definitely sounds better than Fermi.

Despite the fact that this chap was in part responsible for the creation of the first atomic weapon, he doesn't really have what we would call a cool name. Frankly, Fermi just reminds us on an average brand for cereal, but don't worry Nvidia will replace this name with Geforce, Tesla and Quadro, when the time comes.

http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/15812/1/

ANOTHER LINK RELATED:

Fermi board is real, but..

http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/15813/1/

2. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I actually like the Fermi name.

3. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    I like Furby better.

Since when did NVIDIA start naming GPU's? I thought that was an ATI only thing (not including CPU's).

4. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    Enrico Fermi was a cool guy indeed!

5. seaplane pilot

seaplane pilot Guest

GPU:
    2080Ti Strix
    California Über Alles

6. SickBoy254698

SickBoy254698 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 780 OC
    I was really chearing for ATI this time around but from the looks of it Nvidia could launch the GT300 in six months and ATI still wouldn't have gained any ground. I find it amusing that all these articles talk about how ATI is enjoying there exclusive market share with there DX11 cards. Market for what? The 5000 series isn't really the performance beast we had all hoped for and there aren't any DX11 games out right now. Oh yeah, and ATI can't even produce enough cards right now to satisfy what little demand there is. That sure sounds exclusive to me.

7. TeX_UK

TeX_UK Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FE
  8. Jcazz

Jcazz Master Guru

GPU:
    Tri-fire 5870
    Seems to have more bandwidth than the 5870....GTX380..humm can someone say 1920x1200 4xSSAA 16XAF High Quality DX10 Ethusaist settings finally for crysis at 60FPS? And when Crysis 2 comes out, it will all start over again....back down to 30FPS with these cards lol..... (Cry)sis or a crisis indeed...

9. Rodman

Rodman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX285 SLI@756-1580-2750
    Crysis 2 will be made for consoles as well and therefore run just fine on most PCs;)

With that said, I'm not all that excited about any new GPU coming to the market. Just about any game made this year and as far as I can see are made with consoles in mind and run just fine on my rig. I just found out that Witcher 2 is being made for consoles as well as PC, that ='s it will be know where near as good as the 1st, not to mention run fine on my current hardware. So yea, lets say Nvidia comes out with a GPU that is 5 times as powerfull as my 285 SLI setup in November. Now instead of running almost all my games at 100fps, I will be able to run them at 500fps. In other words I will not notice that much.

I really miss the good old days when FarCry and Doom3 were about to come out for PC only and looked and played 10 times better than on any console. I was so freaking excited about the Geforce 6 series (I had a ati 9800) as they were about to make playing those game in all their glory a reality.

My point? Well, I see no point in a more powerfull GPU at this time:)

10. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    They said the same thing about GTA4.
    look what happened there.

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
  12. Rodman

Rodman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX285 SLI@756-1580-2750
    Not sure what you are saying, lol. Was GTA 1-3 for PC only and done with the most state of the art graphics and tech? I never played any of them so I'm in the dark here.

Now that I think about it, doesn't Nvidia always release a new top end GPU in Nov every year since the 6 series? Why stop now. Also if the 200 series is not turning enough of a profit and yeilds on the 300 series not so good. It would make sense to stop making the 200 line and use the 'bad' yeilds of the 300 chips for lower end cards with x turned off here and Y disabled there. Unless the bad yeilds are simply no good for anything but scrap.

13. Bodar

Bodar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Lots of Fermi'zzzz
    It Took me 3 5870's and a proc running at 4.88ghz to run crysis perfect at 70 fps maxed with 8xaa

14. YuKsS

YuKsS Guest

GPU:
    Asus gtx 1070 strix oc
    Hey men i admired for your benchs and yours crazys rigs.. but what you just wrote was off topic XD

15. Quixz

Quixz Maha Guru

GPU:
    GB RTX 3080TI

I think Bodar's post was in response to jcass's post.

16. YuKsS

YuKsS Guest

GPU:
    Asus gtx 1070 strix oc
    rigth.. sometimes im to lazy to read the whole thing.. thanks anyway..

17. bokah

bokah Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    amen

18. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    by that information, if I were to assume the cards were as efficient as the 2xx series I'd expect the 380 to be 3x+ as fast as a 285. This could happen, but I'm not counting on it.

19. MM10X

MM10X Guest

GPU:
    3080 FE
    how is this so? it just barely has 2x shaders over the 285...

as long as its 2x better than my setup, i'll be happy. (at least 18k in vantage GPU score)

i hope this is acurate... so much for getting a car, lol! only $450, though? i'm hoping they are not wrong about that!!

20. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    My bad I looked at the shader clocks for the 280 rather than the 285, 2.5x ish as fast. 512/240 * 1700/1500