Win7-RC, COD-WaW, and 190.62's

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by rired48, Oct 3, 2009.

1. rired48

rired48 Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon 5870
    Yesterday I installed Win 7-RC 64bit on a new Intel 160 gig SSD. The install was easy and fast. However, COD-WaW runs poorly, lock-ups, etc. I used the nVidia 190.62's 64bit ver. I'm back to my original Raptor HD with Win XP 32bit, and the game runs like butter.

Different drivers would prob be better?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  2. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Did you update DirectX?

Did you install the game patches?

Besides that, as you posted yourself, other drivers would most likely help, too. :nerd:

3. rired48

rired48 Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon 5870
    ?? There has not been any recent updates to Direct X, have there?

Oh yes, game is set up fine.

I should try different video drivers from 'Guru of 3D'...

Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
  4. Silentspy

Silentspy Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 5870 Vapor-X
    i have the exact same problems as you, i think its a issue with windows 7 RC

5. rired48

rired48 Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon 5870
    My Win7-RC is 'Ultimate' 64 bit.... Wonder what it's going to cost, when,in February?... when we need to pay for it...anyone know the number...

6. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
  7. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
  8. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    There goes $320 towards Windows 7 that could have went towards hardware. I have Windows 7 x64 and have no problems with any Nvidia driver. COD - World at War runs 91 fps 1920x1080 maxed constantly. Could be another aspect of you system causing problems.

9. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    Build 7100 has some DirectX issues that were fixed in 7123.

10. rired48

rired48 Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon 5870
    ShadowMyth...

How did you measure your FPS in COD-WaW? We run 'PlayClaw' to monitor FPS and TeamSpeak 'talkers' on our clan server, 'RAW-Rebels at War-Tactical'...Your hardware purchase recommendations have already been done this month: Just got the Intel 160gig SSD, and 2 weeks ago bought the 24" Dell #2410f. I have not purchased Win7 yet.

With Win XP on my WD Raptor, COD runs super smooth & fast. Also helps that we have a very good '23Down/4Up' connection from Cox Cable, and typically have the best 'ping' to our game server (@ 45-55ms) of everyone playing.( RI to Chicago). Which nVidia driver are you using?

Cybermancer / Squall Leonheart...thx for the direct x info...

11. Burnt_Ram

Burnt_Ram Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1050 Ti
    atm i'm using a single 8800GT although heavily overclocked. i run world at war @ 1600x1200 2xAA 16xAF, max ingame settings and get a solid 75 fps vsynced. this is using Windows 7 x64 MSDN RTM. runs great :)

edit: i'm also on 190.62

12. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I just use the console command in game /cg_drawfps 1. Right now I'm using the 191.03 beta drivers. I use FIOS with 25/5 just to play & have had pings as low as 14ms. Most servers with large amounts of people I get 25-35ms. It's not so much the hardware as it making sure it runs smooth. Did you turn off super cache & the paging file? Could your hardware be conflicting?

13. rired48

rired48 Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon 5870
    Why and how...

My FPS is typically between 120-150. But I only run the game at 1024x768 or 1600x1200 with no AA and settings at 'medium' quality. If I crank up the resolution to 1920x1200 and use 2xAA, will I hurt myself in fast-action sequences where I need to be faster than the other player? (COD-WaW online)... OR, by running at higher resolutions and w settings set high, will I 'see' the enemy better(see first/shoot first) which will help my scores? My monitor, the new 24" Dell 2410f is super (IPS panel), yet not 'slow' refresh.

14. shansmi

shansmi New Member

GPU:
    EVGA/GTX260 triSLI
    This is not a new problem. for me it has been around since Vista SP1 x64 and the first 18x drivers. It now works for me in Win7 Ultimate x74 for both games up to the 190 series drivers.

To solve it try this:

1. Create a shortcut for any game having this issue (the application itself).
    2. Right click in that shortcut and choose properties.
    3. Go to the compatibility tab and check the box for "Disable desktop composition".
    4. "OK" out of the shortcut properties and test your game.

This fixed it for me in CoD4 and CoD5. This fix may also increase your frame rates in games since it turns off the Win7 eye candy while playing. Note: I turn on frame rates via console commands not by FRAPS or EVGA's Precision.

To adjust the max frame rate and draw the FPS counters, open the console and type the following commands then exit the console. I forget if the game must be restarted...

/com_maxfps 145 (be careful above this as many servers may ban you for using a hack if higher).
    /cg_drawFPS 1

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  15. rired48

rired48 Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon 5870
    Shansmi...
    Interesting...I will try this. I use 'PlayClaw'... it's an 'overlay' prog...shows your FPS and who is talking in TeamSpeak.

Here are some console speed-up tweaks I've used in COD-WaW:
    * " /snaps " then change to '30' from '20'...if prob, change back
    * So PB won't refresh as often: " /PB_sleep 500 "
    * Depth of field...gets rid of some blurr for long shots:
    " /seta_dof_enable 0 "
    * shell casings... " /cg_brass 0 " no shells ejected
    * to stop sending duplicate packets... " /d_packetdup 0 "
    * send PB setting to config: " /pb_writecfg "

Use these at your own risk...I make no promises, but worked for me....

16. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I use 1920x1080 because I can see a pixel move from across the map, basically seeing them better. Knowing all the maps you can tell if its an enemy or something else. Bust out the carbine & you can't lose. If you can say stay above 70 fps you should have zero problems with fast action sequences. When playing headshots only, I tend to use the melee often & occasionally my fps will drop to around 75 fps(not often). I will win melee vs melee 9 out of 10 times. Read the link attached to get an idea on how to optimize a ssd. http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=1661

17. rired48

rired48 Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon 5870
    OOPS...

Our posts crossed... thx for info...will check out...

18. shansmi

shansmi New Member

GPU:
    EVGA/GTX260 triSLI
    Let me know how things work out. I don't play online but I have had the same issue many times after the 18x drivers were released and this is with both CoD4 and CoD5 fully patched. Another thing is make sure your sound card is all at default otherwise it can lock up the game if set to a higher bit rate in base Windows. I had that happen a while and it took me a few days to figure out since I made that change and did not game immediately afterwards...

19. rired48

rired48 Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon 5870
    Well, I still have my Raptor HD in there w/ XP, and like I said COD-WaW is running great.

I have a second HD cage coming for my case, and once I put that in, I'll be able to move the SSD higher up where I want it. Then, I'll need to commit to Win 7 by Feb of 2010, right? I think that's the deadline for paying for Win7.

In the meantime, can you patch the Win7-RC build 7200 to the newer one? That way i could play around w/ Win 7, trying to get it to run the game well.

How can you tell?

I have the SB X-Fi... and I run TeamSpeak2 and the game thru my Logitech G35 headset...

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  20. shansmi

shansmi New Member

GPU:
    EVGA/GTX260 triSLI
    In the Windows sound CP, under speaker properties "24bit, 48kHz (Studio Quality)" is default for me. I tried 96 kHz once and CoD crashed immediately.

The most cost affected means of getting Win7 or any other OS is becoming a Technet subscriber for ********. You get ~5 keys to all MS OS levels and the same for all or most applications.