ATI Eyefinity review

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Sep 28, 2009.

1. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    The best thing about SoftTH is you can use monitors with different resolutions, Eyefinity can't currently do that.

2. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    Want a good laff?

Check out this thread and note how everyone's replies change from great excitement to general disappointment:

http://www.kegetys.net/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=9563c9384c3b5bdb9cbc8f9006998fce&topic=1369.0

Oh, also there are some good points about Eyefinity features/requirements vs. SoftTH, notably that you'll definitely need a DisplayPort capable monitor for triplehead.

So some of you may wonder why I'm ranting about this, me who never posts here? I'll tell you why: ATI got a full spread review not only on their 5870 here but also on the Eyefinity feature itself. I've NEVER seen any reviews of SoftTH here. If there has been one, my apologies; I missed it.

What I see is ATI stealing the SoftTH idea, then applying it only to their 2 most expensive cards, when quite obviously it *could* work on older models and they chose not to do it. It's what is known as "vendor lock-in" and this is the game they are trying to play. Not to mention that the card itself is just the beginning of the money you'll have to shell out to get Eyefinity to actually work. Now I post about this and I have ATI fanboys defending Eyefinity like it is so cool and that SoftTH is some kind of joke, when the reality is that SoftTH in its current state is more economical, more practical, and more innovative, yet ATI is garnering all of the credit. I'd hope to see more of you take an interest in SoftTH and support that than run out and buy an ATI card because of a gimmick like this.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  3. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Not saying it isn't good, just that i like to look to the future, rather than use think about how many people still use XP or only play DX9 games.

Either way, i think ATI have over promoted a gimmicky feature that will only be used by a small minority of people, and doesn't look a immersive as a very large TV.

4. Omagana

Omagana Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Havn't seen a new piece of hardware generate so much bickering in a long time!

So by your standards windows has always been a beta program?

lol there's very little software out there that's ever "perfect", supporting it with updates after release doesn't make it beta.

5. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    doesnt support different resolution monitors = rubbish, try again ATI

6. thales100

thales100 Master Guru

GPU:
    3-way SLI GTX 480
    This free solution is very limited, just some few games can run on SoftTH, plus only primary video card will render the scene, so SLI/CF are not supported, and there is a significant, inherent performance hit from software solution.

7. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    nice review hilbert and some good music in the background...devil may cry4 looked a blast.

i think ati is onto a winner here. just i am not to keen on the monitors borders in my field of view..

8. thales100

thales100 Master Guru

GPU:
    3-way SLI GTX 480
    The bars arent a big issue once you try a triple setup, since you concentrate your attention on the central monitor and let the side monitors add to your peripheral vision, giving a view that is far closer to the way your eyes work in reality, way more than just one screen could do.

9. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    ooo just think empire total war bug free on three screens...canon firing osea! re-wow.

and i just jizz in my pants hehe..(jk)

10. thales100

thales100 Master Guru

GPU:
    3-way SLI GTX 480
    One of the best sources to discuss / request / download widescreen and surround gaming solutions, to run hundreds of games, is

LINK REMOVED - LETS TRY TO NOT LINK TO COMPETING WEBSITES PLEASE.

11. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    3x1 portrait display group setup looks even more interesting :nerd:

12. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    yeah i thought so too, but then i remembered that most people with tn panels would suffer greatly with those :(

13. MM10X

MM10X Guest

GPU:
    3080 FE
    i did this w/ my single 22 inch on far cry 2 once... kinda... stretched. :p

but with three this would be a very nice setup, i've thought about it before. i would be kinda neat to see how it would work out.

14. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    SLI works, you just have to have a 3rd card for the third monitor. If you had onboard video (that can be enabled when there is an add-in card), and 2 cards SLI'd, it would work fine. Performance gains are not proven at this point, however.

Just a few games? Try more like over 100 at this point. Here's a *partial* list compiled from forum threads:

- Alpha Prime
    - Attack on Pearl Harbor
    - Area 51
    - ArmA
    - ArmA 2
    - Brothers In Arms: Road to Hill 30
    - Brothers in Arms: Earned in Blood
    - Call of duty 2
    - Call of duty 4
    - Call of Juarez 2
    - Civilization IV
    - Combat Flight simulator 3
    - Company of heroes
    - Condemned: Criminal Origins
    - Counterstrike: Source
    - Crysis
    - Dark Messiah
    - Fallout 3
    - Fear
    - Fear : Extraction point
    - Fear Perseus Mandate
    - Gears of war
    - Ghost recon
    - Ghost recon desert siege
    - Ghost recon island thunder
    - GRID
    - GTR 2
    - GTR Evolution
    - Just cause
    - Half life 2
    - Half life 2 : EP1
    - Half life 2 : EP2
    - HAWX
    - Kane and lynch
    - Left 4 Dead
    - Live for speed s2 demo
    - Lord of the rings Online : Shadows of Angmar
    - Lost Planet
    - Mafia
    - Medal of honor pacific Assault
    - Mirror's Edge
    - Nascar racing 2003 season
    - Oblivion
    - Operation Flashpoint
    - Painkiller
    - Painkiller Battle out of Hell
    - Rainbow six : lockdown
    - Resident Evil 5
    - R-Factor
    - Richard burns rally
    - Test Drive Unlimited
    - Tomb raider Anniversary
    - Transformers
    - Tribes Vengeance
    - Race 07
    - Stalker
    - Starwars : Republic commando
    - Swat 4
    - Trackmania nations
    - Warhammer 40 000 : Dawn of war
    - Wings over vietnam
    - Wings over Europe
    - World of Warcraft
    - World in conflict
    - X2 the threat

There are more, but nobody has bothered to make a comprehensive list yet. However it should be clear to anyone that SoftTH has the potential to support many, many games already, and no doubt more in the future...

Yeah, there is a significant, inherent performance hit in software triplehead, but there is also a VERY significant wallet hit to get going with EyeFinity. With SoftTH you can use any combination of 3 monitors -- CRT, LCD, widescreen, 4:3, whatever, and at different resolutions. With EyeFinity you don't have those luxuries, even after spending all of that money.

15. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    That was sick ,so sick indeed that i still trying to recuperate from the shock of awsomeness and eye candy on that set up :giggle2: , Hilbert you missed a good shot in HAWX :p an easy one too:D. Amazing where Technology its driving us nowadays. Great review..

regards:chispy.

16. easy2007

easy2007 Guest

GPU:
    AMD RX470 4GB
    lol my 8800 struggles to run crysis at 1680x1050 and this runs it at 5760x1080 that takes the piss lol and at 30 fps thats like insane i wana know if the GT300 can even attempt to do this?? :p

17. GabrielSans

GabrielSans Banned

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 4870 512 MB
    I must say that including videos was a brilliant idea, Hilbert. Not only to show us how Eyefinity works, but it is also very cool to see the games performing in real time. Besides, a by-product is the following (and I am not joking at all): At last, I have a real idea what Devil May Cry 4 deals with. Your video was more informative that even reading the entire Gamespot's review.

Yes, I am very conscious of the bandwidth consumption, but videos are so powerful to convey information, man.

Thanks for all that!

18. GabrielSans

GabrielSans Banned

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 4870 512 MB
    Companies manufacturing monitors!, could you please make the borders thinner? :eek:rder:

19. klambre

klambre Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870@ stock
    There no words to descrive how awesome is this :eek3:

You can play some old titles with this over 60fps with all eye candy :), would be nice see Half Life 2, Oblivion or IL2-Sturmovik in the review, IL2 can be EPIC :D

20. TommyNL

TommyNL Member

GPU:
    ATI HD3870X2 1GB
    On page 2 you say:
    14" screen with this resolution.. little error?