5870 3dmark problems

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by icehot666, Sep 28, 2009.

1. icehot666

icehot666 Member

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    Hey,

I've got a q9650 o/c to 4Ghz, 8gb ram, on an X38 board.... Running 1680x1050 res in Windows 7 64bit.

Just upgraded from 4890 CF to a single 5870, and I'm experiencing strange graphical problems in 3dMark Vantage... frame rates all seem good, and in other games where I've tried dx9, 10, and 10.1 stuff, it all seems to run just fine, also 2d is just fine as well.

I'm now running the beta drivers, but had the same problem with the 9.9's off the CD that came with the card.

Never had a problem with the 4890s so I'm a little dismayed, I've attached a screenshot, and you can see black triangles in the water, and strange textures on the cave wall in the Jane Nash test, which all seem to flicker randomly when running the test. Can anyone shed any light on this??

[​IMG]

2. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    I'm convinced it's ur cpu/ram overclock causing it. Bring your cpu down to stock and retest 3DmarkVantage.

3. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Is this issue just for Vantage? What about games? Do you see these artifacts when you game? Strange, I'm running 8.66RC6 in CFX mode and did not see this. Also, when I was running a single 5870, I did see weird arfifacts when I enabled AA for RE5, it vanished on reinstall of the RC6 when I got my 2nd card.

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    My HD4850, GTS250 and GTX275 have all done that from time to time. I've just considered it to be a glitch in Vantage. Guess I'll look more closely the next time I run it.

5. icehot666

icehot666 Member

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    Just tested on stock, and the issue is still there identical to before, also it is only the fsb and cpu which are overclocked, I have ddr2-1066 ram so the ram is running at normal speeds.

The issue does seem to be just in Vantage... every game so far I've tested and works just fine, including Hawx in dx 10.1 mode, wolfenstein, arkham asylum... Also, strangely Furmark in full screen stress test mode worked perfectly too, not a single artifact!

Might reinstall windows tonight, maybe something remained from the previous CF setup or something??

Just re-downloading Crysis warhead from ea download manager and will give that a quick test when done too..

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  6. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Well, if it's limited to Vantage, just put it down to driver not playing nice, or a Vantage bug that rears its ugly head due to one thing or another. Seems like games aren't an issue.....oh yeah, I did notice mild artifacting when I was playing Crysis, it's limited to dark areas where I see minute semi-bright dots, reminds me of memory overheating but it isn't that. I put it down to the RC6 driver I'm using. Checked temps after the Crysis run and got <70C so I don't think anything is overheating. Don't see this in any of the other games I've tried so I ain't worried.

7. icehot666

icehot666 Member

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    Just realised you have the same mobo as me, infact a very similar setup... interesting to see you got some artifacting in crysis... Running Furmark the temps stayed below 78C and that's probably the hardest the card will be pushed really. I'll try crysis later when I get home from work, then I'll also do a reinstall I think to eliminate any reminants of the old CF setup, that will hopefully eliminate any software issues.

8. icehot666

icehot666 Member

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    Ok a reinstall didn't fix it at all, still the same problem.... however crysis warhead was running pretty well...

I'd be less bothered if others were reporting the same problem, but I've not seen anyone else have any kind of problems with 3dmark vantage using this card at all!

9. icehot666

icehot666 Member

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    Just noticed the same thing that's happening in the cave in 3dmark, is happening a little bit in crysis, it's only on the odd textures, and it's hard to notice, maybe this is the same artifacting mikeysg noticed?

Anyone else got these problems? Are they just driver related or should I return the card?