Combine a 9600 with a 9800 Low power.+HDMI

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by mmaturen, Sep 16, 2009.

1. mmaturen

mmaturen Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 260 GTX
    Hy you guys,

Right now I’m running a 6600quad core, an Evga 680I SLI, and a Biostar 9600/512.

So far it has been running great, been playing batman arkham asylum maxed (at

My monitor max resolution of 1400x900), but I got my hands in a point of view

9800gt/1GB LOW POWER. With HDMI, so here are the facts and question for you

Guys:

FACTS:
    1- Got the 9800 for free so no It was not best to buy an ati or another Nvida.

2- I’m in a country with a very small selection of cards so it’s not a good option to sell both and get any other card, also our access to international currency is highly restricted so Amazon or any other Online site is a NO NO, basically these are the cards i got to work with.

Now, for the
    QUESTIONS:

1- I want to have one of the cards working as a Phyxs card so even though the 9800 its 1Gb and should be better that the 9600, that Lowpower thing is making doubt if it will perform better so ? Which card should I use as Video and which as Physx?

2- If y choose to use the 9800 as video, that card comes with hdmi out so instead of connecting to my old but trusty Samsung wide 19, i could technically connect to my 26 viewsonic, that supports 1080 on hdmi, is that a better choice for gaming?? it would be a big pain to move the things around so that’s why I’m asking before so that i don’t have to move all over again...

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  2. MM10X

MM10X Guest

GPU:
    3080 FE
    the 9800GT is more powerful.

unless you play games that support physX, its pretty useless TBH.

you can always overclock the 9800GT to regular clocks, and there should be a jumper on it to raise/lower the voltage to low power/regular.

3. mmaturen

mmaturen Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 260 GTX
    Given the fact that it has no jumper and no 6 pin connect to supply extra power, do you still think its and option to overclock? And that it is a better option than the 9600 even without the overcloking? How about the HDMI thing?

Thanks for your reply.

4. mmaturen

mmaturen Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 260 GTX
    Well I’ve gone the 9800 video 9600 Physx way and so far so good, Right now I’m running a couple of Physx Enable games (Batman, and the Darkest of days) and it has shown an improvement, plus I just got Red Faction, Guerrillas and it works perfectly on the 9800 despite being the low power version.
    Tried a bit of Overclocking but could not go so far, (guess the card needs more juice) so i let it be.
    But now i got another card! a standard (no low power) XFX 9800Gt/512 Mb. so, I’m thinking that despite having half the V-RAM as the low power it will outperform it, having higher core and memory clocks... Am I right? Or are those extra 512 of ram from the low power really more important than a Higher clock?

Thanks in advance

Cheers

5. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    you got another 9800? for free? what mob are you in? lol but yes the 512 will out perform the 1gb if it has higher clocks, also as to your earlier question, your monitor, the 19", is better then your TV, due to the resolution your TV uses, not all games understand what 1920x1080 is, same goes for 1440x900, however more games know what that is, then 1920x1080, also, with a 9800 GT, either the 512 or 1GB, it's not the most powerful card for that kind of a resolution.

If you have SLI ability...which according to your motherboard, that is a yes, could you not SLI the two 9800 GT's? that would probably give you a better overall performance then even a 9800 GT 512 with the 9600/9800 as a physx

6. mmaturen

mmaturen Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 260 GTX
    Well its just luck with my company hardware seller we buy so many supplies I sometimes get these little bundles of joy.
    Indeed I tried the TV HDMI thing and it’s definitely a No Go, back to my old Samsung for the time being plus I have no issues with its native resolution. It’s a great compromise considering I’m able to run most games at high or ultra high and good frame rates.
    As for The SLI I use to think the card should be the exact replica of each other in order to have a smooth SLI run and given the differences not only in V-RAM but in core and memory speed as well, I think that would be an issue no?
    So lets say I don´t or can´t go the SLI way, should I sell the 9600 and use the 9800 Low power as the physx or keep the 9600 and sell the 9800 Low power like before using the standard 9800 512 for video? Don´t know why I just don´t like that low power that much…

Thanks!

Miguel

7. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    replied to the PM you sent me

8. mmaturen

mmaturen Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 260 GTX
    Well I opted at the end to stick with the standard 9800gt 512 and I’m trying to sell both the 9800 Low Power and the 9600Gt. Now, should I get the exact same XFX 9800gt 512 and SLI or get a single 275? If I go the 9800 way and adding a bit more I’ll be able to get an nice 22Ich wide LCD to replace the one I have now...

But if the performance of a single 275 will outperform those 2 9800 ill go for it.

Any ideas, opinions, thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

9. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Uh...stably, the GTX 275 will win, however pure performance, the 2 9800 GT's would win i believe (though i may be wrong), i went from two 8800 GT's (same card as 9800 GT's) to a GTX 260 and i couldn't be happier, i have slightly less performance, but much smoother gameplay and much less headaches, you could just stick with a 9800 GT and go with a 22" monitor, wait awhile till the GT300 series comes out, see if there's a good price on either them or the GT200 series goes down in price, that's kinda your call