Nvidia makes a hilarious bold claim xD xD

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by thecake90, Sep 12, 2009.

1. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    LOL DX10.1 isn't just an ATI tech. Nvidia had the option and passed untill recently. This is not a valid comparison to Physx at all. You also missed the point completely.

Nvidia Physx isn't used wide spread enough for most people to want to buy Nvidia just for that feature. It's simple really.

2. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Uh, the same exact architecture is being used. The drivers are mature, sure they can get better, as they have been with current generation cards, but there isn't going to be some magical driver leap.

Also, Nvidia supports DX10.1 through it's drivers, so yeah.

3. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Well to be fair it's not exactly the same. They fudged around with the configuration of the shader clusters a bit, but as far as drivers go i wouldn't think they'd have too much work to do.

4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Quiet you!

The more I think about, the more I think people are really jumping the gun. I mean yeah, atm these cards look really sweet. But who knows what Nvidia is going to do? They have a ****-ton of money and all the rumors point to their new chip being a total redesign. And if moore's law has anything to say, their fastest card will be really fast.

I think at this point the best thing to do is wait.

5. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    ^ really fast and really expensive but yeh I'm waiting

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I don't think so. When was Nvidia's cards expensive? When they had no competition. If AMD is out first and competing performance wise, Nvidia will have no choice but to keep their prices in level with AMD. And considering Nvidia has a lot more money in the bank right now then AMD has, they can easily put out a better performing card at a lower cost without batting an eye.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  7. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    u say that but the GTX 285 is still a very expensive card, ditto for the 295

8. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
  9. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    No it is not the same architecture, you need to read up more. Its the biggest change since HD 2xxx series.

Please don't spread that BS around. There ARE differences. The biggest will be the HD 5870 X2, 2 cores 1 GPU. If that holds true it's going to get interesting.

And you need to read what i type dude.

I said DX10.1 IS NOT just an ATI feature. You totally missed everything again.

10. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    The 5870X2 is doubtfully coming out until after a refresh of 5000 series. At the point they're at now a dual core card would produce way too much heat and use way too much power. This is the same reason NVIDIA waited a while after the 200 series release before launching the 295.

how can you compare the GTX 295 and the 285 in pricing? The GTX 295 is literally 2x GTX 275 and the 275s are going for over $250 while the 295 sits under $500. I don't see what other price point you could have put the 295 at, before the single PCB revision NVIDIA was losing money on each one sold.

11. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Completely agree.

12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Please link me someplace where they explain in detail how the architecture is drastically different. Every single place I've read is that it's the same with more shaders, just in a different cluster configuration, which doesn't make it a different architecture at all. With the exception of a few sites that say it's drastically different, but they all also say it has 3200 SP's and some rambus ring architecture that uses XDR ram or whatever.

And why would a 5870 X2 be interesting? They already did it with the 4870 X2, if they didn't do it for the 5870, then it would be interesting, but as LedHed pointed out, I don't think it's going to happen as soon as you think.

And I wasn't talking about you with regard to DX10.1, I was talking to Cowie or whoever said it originally about DX10.1 not being on Nvidia, I was just too lazy to click back and find the quote then copy paste, etc.

13. getsuga12

getsuga12 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX870M
  14. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Guest

GPU:
    some green some red
    those benches are awesome, sure its behind here and there to a 295 but christ its way up there for a single card, two of them would be crazy fast, i doubt id need to upgrade for a long long time.

15. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    The 5850 could be an absolute bargain, hoping to find out some UK prices for it soon :)

16. darknight909

darknight909 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 2080
    This post was clearly made to start a flame war.

I vote to have this closed, nothing good can come from this.

It seems almost anything that "thecake90" posts is posted to start problems

17. thecake90

thecake90 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 1060GTX
    :) I aim to please

I like to look at it as "constructive dialogue"

18. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Well they don;t have a **** ton of money anymore but they'd hope to make it back on the GT300... you're right though, nobody knows what they're going to do with their next high end SKU.

Doesn't bother me though, ill buy which ever's best after christmas.

@ Ghost: Reconfiguring the Shader cluster's isnt a redesign in architecture, it's a minor adjustment. All they've done is increase the amount of "working" shaders in the cluster and doubled the amount of everything else on the card.

Nvidia have been making these minor adjustments between the 8series and GT200 series, and will again in the GT300.

The 5870x2 is also not rumoured to have two cores in 1 GPU, its rumoured to have two GPU's stacked, instead of spaced out on the PCB.

As Denial said, links please, because all of your information goes against everything i've read also ...:confused:

19. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    Well, you can have the fastest card on the Earth, but in te end, the cards with best price/performance ratio bring the biggest income, not the fastest ones.

20. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Qft, I love all this arguing over information that is not even confirmed!

Lets wait and see shall we, then we can all have a very sensible reasoned discussion about it!:D