right windows for my laptop

Discussion in 'Laptops & Notebooks' started by flattit4, Aug 11, 2009.

1. flattit4

flattit4 Member

GPU:
    7950 GX2 1Gb
    hi all, just wondering if any 1 could help me choosing windows for my old laptop.
    Sony VAIO
    PCG-C1VG
    PROCESSOR CRUSOE 600MHZ
    MEMORY RAM 128MB
    Original windows Me
    event original windows without update still really slow
    so my question is any other windows could run my slow laptop with
    i wish i could add extra ram on it, but no luck cause is a mini ram that build in the motherboard
    is any other software out there could turn hdd to ram? like ram disk? is that really work, will that effect

Thanks

2. flattit4

flattit4 Member

GPU:
    7950 GX2 1Gb
    hi all, if I'm using ssd hardrive will it boost the performance

3. MM10X

MM10X Guest

GPU:
    3080 FE
    windwos 2000 or XP if you can find the drivers.

i really dont think you can get an IDE SSD. :p

honestly, you should just pick up a cheap netbook it will give you lots more performance than that! ;)

4. flattit4

flattit4 Member

GPU:
    7950 GX2 1Gb
    yes, sony it shelf have the win xp driver for it
    ssd ide yes, ebay have that kind of adaptor from ide to cf memory running speed :
    read 20mb
    write 15mb not bad right
    the reason why i'm still keep that laptop cause of the size, really small also when i bought it cost me like $3000 ausi that why i still keep it until now
    anyway how is ssd work with the cpu? why ssd faster ( i know that cause ssd using chips like memory chips ) but other than that why ssd running that fast? does ssd depend on cpu or it ssd work on its own
    thanks in advance
    Ben

5. rocca

rocca Member

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X Boost
    there are ide native ssd's (transcend - 8,16,32GB) for pretty cheap. 8MB/s write, 25MB/s read
    a stripped down xp should work fine, i ran it even on 266mhz pentium 1s
    storage speed depends more on the storage hub/southbridge. if it's weak, cpu kicks in. anyway, with ~35MB/s it mostly depends on the drive itself
    by "fast" i think you mean access speed, which is superior to mechanicals

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  6. MM10X

MM10X Guest

GPU:
    3080 FE
    why dont you just get a $300 us netbook? they will absolutely blow away your laptop while keeping the size tiny.

7. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    well Windows 7 worked amazingly well on my Atom CPU netbook, so it may be worth a shot on your laptop. Not only did it work fast, but it installed every single driver by default and ran without a hitch completely by default.

And i'll also agree with the others recommends for netbook. Get an MSI Wind, $289 on newegg. Its a great little laptop and you can get a touchscreen modkit for it too. Like i said W7 runs terrific on it, as good if not smoother than XP and i can play emulator games and Adventure games on it no sweat.

The only issue i have with it is if Bluetooth is on and you go into standbye mode, it stays on and never goes into standbye. As long as its off it runs great and i get a good 3.5 hours on it i think.