AHCI and windows 7

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Killersjp, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Killersjp

Killersjp Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
    Hi. I went to the intel website to download ahci drivers for win7, I was about to download the file to put the ahci drivers in on installation by floppy, I then read at the top of the intel download page that the F6 option for installing the ahci drivers is not required in windows 7 . Is this correct, and if so do I need to install the matrix storage manager once install is complete. Thanks.

2. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    You only really need drivers if you're running some kind of weird SATA controller or if it's some kind of RAID setup.

Otherwise it should generally install fine.

3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yes that is correct.

Not sure what that is..

4. ibitato

ibitato Guest

Vista and W7 don't need anything to run AHCI.
    Just enable AHCI on the mobo, insert dvd and install
    matrix storage manager it's only if you enable RAID mode on the mobo and use it.
    If you don't , you don't need it.

5. ibitato

ibitato Guest

It's the RAID / hdd soft from Intel, to manage raids and hdds from windows, if you use intel ICH9R/ICH10R southbridge.

6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Although some SATA controllers can be tricky when installing the OS with AHCI enabled in the BIOS, in that case you need to enable IDE mode then switch to AHCI once the OS is installed....

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Oh right...like the nForce RAID software...? I never had any luck with that app..

8. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    I actually thought you couldn't change between modes after the OS was installed. Otherwise you would have to reinstall the OS.

And yea, the Matrix stuff is like a hard drive management software, generally just for RAID's.

9. ibitato

ibitato Guest

there is a tech note from Mocrosoft, on how to change from ide to ahci on vista.......
    Not like average read and do stuff, but it works

Convert IDE to AHCI for Vista
    I have a server with the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R. When I installed Vista on it I didn't realize that by default, the Gigabyte DS3R BIOS sets the SATA ports to IDE mode. A few weeks later I realized this, and, wanting to use the faster native SATA mode for my SATA drives (which includes my boot drive), switched the disk mode setting to ACHI from IDE in the BIOS. What I got was a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD)- an inaccessible boot device error 0x0000007B, so I had to switch back to IDE mode. After doing some research online I found that you would have to re-install Vista in while the BIOS as the SATA ports set to ACHI mode in order to get it to work, so I said "Nah forget it." I was not going to spend the time reinstalling Windows Vista and all the apps.

Apparently now there is a new, quick and easy way to fix this. Basically you use REGEDIT, go to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci, modify the key that says "Start" and change the value from "4" to "0". Reboot, then before Windows Vista starts up go to the BIOS and switch to ACHI, and Voila! I had to reboot one more time after time but it worked great afterwards.

The details are located here in this Microsoft Knowledge Base article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2009
  10. Killersjp

Killersjp Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
    Thanks for the quick reply guys. I am just preparing all the drivers I need for when my windows 7 arrives, just one last thing. The only chipset driver I could find for win7 for x58 chipset was version 9.1.1.1015. I presume this works with all x58 chipsets. I found this driver at station drivers, but it is also avalible at other download locations

11. ibitato

ibitato Guest

Yes, it's ok with that one

12. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Good to know.

13. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    You can as long as the AHCI drivers are installed before you reboot.

I think there may be some regedit involved as well, I can't remember tbh...

nm - I see it's been explained already...

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  14. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760
    On my ASUS P6T motherboard with AHCI enabled and running Windows 7 RTM, if I don't install Intel Matrix Storage Manager, the hidden icon on the right side of the task bar near the clock will allow you to remove internal HDDs.

15. SnooSnoo

SnooSnoo Guest

GPU:
    Intel HD510
    I actualy did that and wasent realy satisfied with the end result. PC seemed to boot slower, games /levels loaded slower and the hdd itself seemed to make more noise. This could all be well subjective as I havent ran any tests, but I reverted back to ide mode.

16. biggerx

biggerx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070 FTW
    Yup it's best to have it enabled in the BIOS right from the start.

17. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I haven't been impressed with it either tbh.

My buffer/host transfer rate was faster in IDE mode on my old nF4 than with AHCI enabled on my current board.
    Using NCQ has been known to slow things down, so I may disable it and see if that makes a difference.

Could also be a crappy SATA controller I guess..

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  18. anthonyda

anthonyda Member

GPU:
    470 GTX SOX
    Any idea why Windows 7 RTM can't see my RAID0 (working in AHCI mode) correctly ?

19. nonymous666

nonymous666 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Founders
    Did you install the Intel Matrix Storage software? If so, what does it say?

20. anthonyda

anthonyda Member

GPU:
    470 GTX SOX