GTX260 lock at 400 mhz if OC fails

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Lie495s14, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Lie495s14

Lie495s14 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX260 / Dell.2209wa
    Hello guys! Some trouble im having while ocing.

I have this EVGA GTX260 216 for about 3 month and it has been great to me. Yesterday i pushed it to 700mhz core using EVGA Precision. After some gaming, i started noitcing snows and freez and then it was fine again, but my frame rate decreased dramaticly. Back out to windows, i see that my core is caped at 400mhz no matter what the number i set it to, not even reset to default would help. Only if i restart the computer will return to normal. Is this a fail safty feature build in on the GTX200 cards? kind annoying if OC fails, i wonder if there is a way around it.

2. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
  3. Lie495s14

Lie495s14 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX260 / Dell.2209wa
    Great ! looks like only me and you are having this issue, i mean 2 out of thousands :D

When come to purchasing computer parts, i always get the wierd ones. i guess it's my fate.

4. NomadicX

NomadicX Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1660 Ti
    Mine did this just the other day while playing Call of Jaurez but it was really hot in the house and my card got up to 74* which isn't normal for me. Heat issue maybe, never did it before and hasn't since.

5. Lie495s14

Lie495s14 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX260 / Dell.2209wa
    mine runs under 60c still does that.

6. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb
    Yes, it is a built-in safety feature of your card that is shutting it down to "safe" operating levels!

With past generation hardware, users eventually learned to recognise when their cards "Throttling" safety protection was kicking in because of too much stress (overloading/overtemping) on the GPU and/or Memory chips. Typically happened because of a combination of overclocking too far and poor temperature control. Was usually cured on a card by card basis by improving the cards heatsinking and limiting max overclocks to around 5-10% below the levels that artifacts were observed?

It is most important to understand that as you increase your cards overclock levels you are in effect at the same time reducing the Overload/Temperature Point at which the cards built-in safety protection functions will kick in.

:)

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  7. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    maybe someone needs to kick their fanspeed upto 100%?

8. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    hmm it has seems to stop for now i just had to flash the clocks in again

[​IMG]