Regarding 59hz Bug.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Squall Leonhart, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    Why did you quote him for? he is actually right. the screen says 59 because it is running at 59.94. Custom resolutions only work if the Edid is disabled, or detection is broken.

2. AdamK47

AdamK47 Banned

GPU:
    Verite V1000 & Voodoo 4MB
    His fix works for me and the 24hz issue with some DX10 games when using my 37" Samsung.

3. Tiger253

Tiger253 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 280
    I saw 59hz after a fresh Win7 install but I changed it to 60hz and no problems at all.

4. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    I moved on to win7 64 RTM 2 days ago.

I installed my vista64 favorite driver 186.39 which has a modified ini.

Whenever i select 60 i magically reverts back to 59.

Havent run into any issues yet, but i mostly play with vsync off cause of multiplayer.

don't know if this affect games regardless of vsync.

5. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/1700/2000 h2o
    actualy i think your totaly mis understanding the point here.
    was 60 hz on vista for example with the bug or not whatever.
    59.994hz or 60.000 hz

this would be least handy to known so aren't going outside spec off lcd....
    cous i'm not prepared to to have my screen run the way it constantly bugs.c
    cous this brings a lot issues with my dual screen setup heck totaly defeats purpose off having dual screen setup at all for me.
    and i'm not going ditch that just cous off a stupid bug or change that microsoft thought was actualy right.

Tbh lets rather discuss what issues this change or bug whatever brings.
    and how to fix that properly.

either way cant wait for windows 7 to release so more people notice change and start getting pissed off so hopefully this be changed 1 more time so it does't screw people like me with a stupid bug regardless if its issue with my lcd not reading edid right.
    it was fine before.
    and we all known its whatever aint broken dont fix it.
    cous might break something else.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  6. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Couldn't programs like refreshlock force this? I remember the old xp 60Hz bug got fixed with it, perhaps this could be a solution for this problem aswel. Or dunno if something like that still exists in Vista/7, but in XP you were able to force the refreshrate through dxdiag aswell.

Not that it really matters for me:

[​IMG]

Hearing this I do hope Windows 7 recognizes this screen properly. I never liked Vista but hearing that alot of the problems I had with Vista are fixed in 7, I'll probably switch over this year. The 120Hz on this screen is rounded upwards aswell btw, the real refreshrate is 119.94Hz.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  7. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    corrupt that does't work on everything and also brings some anoying glitches.

8. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    bump also what really has be implented really a option to remove 60 hz as option since does't work this would fix lot issues.
    and tbh i think we should't call 59 hz bug but a 60hz bug.
    since thats what does't work.
    and tbh since it does't work it should't be there anymore.
    also do like this option my self cous i think my screen does't like it being forced 60hz or 59.994hz.

9. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    i think what it should do is allow 59 and 60 hz, have 60hz run at 59.94 and report 60hz.. that would fix the issue with certain games

10. jimmyw85

jimmyw85 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 285
    1. using powerstrip to hard lock [choose the refresh rate and press the lock button ]refresh rate at 60hz

2. save profile and enable custom hot key for the profile

it will solve the problem surely! however powerstrip is a shareware

the nvidia control panel will never jump back to 59hz and every game report to be 60hz

11. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    " it will solve the problem surely! however powerstrip is a shareware"

No. any app that locks the rates is locking already available rates. 60hz does not lock because it is not available

12. jimmyw85

jimmyw85 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 285
    no, it is different, it is a realtime lock, and so the nvidia control panel WILL not jump back to 59Hz after u set to 60 that i experienced before.........

everygame report to be 60hz.......

13. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    Please... read the thread and get clued in first to what the problem is.

14. MaLDo

MaLDo Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080
    59 hz in windows vista and 7 affects 2 games:

Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved

Game starts and search available refreshrate from OS, OS reports 59 hz and then game lock at 59 hz. But game internal clock is at 60 hz, so there is a 1 frame pause every second. Gameplay is like ****. One solution, select from OS/Nvidia driver a resolution that has available some higher refreshrate. In my 26" monitor, 1280x1024 resolution support 75 hz. So I change OS resolution to 1280x1024@75hz, start the game, and then game find a 60 hz refreshrate smaller than maximum supported refreshrate (75hz). Game runs at 60 hz and gameplay is smooth.

Clive Baker's Jericho

There are some streaming points inside the levels and this routines are sync with refreshrate. For some reason, with 59 hz bug, there is a 'one second pause' in every streaming point.

15. adr2k5

adr2k5 Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX570 x 2 SLI
    So MaLDo, I have this very same problem.
    Geometry Wars : Retro Evolved is causing the change of refresh rate in the game. Several times.
    As you mentioned, the gameplay is insane and impossible to make a high score with this problem.

But my screen is flashing (like changing resolution) in desktop too.
    My monitor is 24 LG W2452V @ 1920x1200 (set to 59hz)
    ThereĀ“s a workaround for this ?

16. DEATHSTAR

DEATHSTAR Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285 SLi + 8800GTX
    Lot of people having problems with refresh rate. Are they all related to edid/software roundoff issue? I was reading up on refresh rates on nvidia forums, someone mentioned that this bug was introduced on purpose to solve HDTV refresh rate problems. In other words, nvidia decided that people using vista/win7 with certain LCDs will have to use older drivers because operating system will round off the refresh rate, and that will create problems for a lot of HDTVs. So all new nvidia drivers will have this so called bug until microsoft decides to fix the rounding off to 59.
    I don't know whether to believe this guy at nv forum but i won't be surprised if he's right. I mean why is it that xp doesnt have this issue. It seems unlikely for nvidia to screw up something like this in so many vista/win7 drivers unless they are restricted by the OS. Best of luck to those with this problem.
    DEATHSTAR

17. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    It wasn't introduced by nvidia, so thats the first mistake >.>

18. kid-goku

kid-goku Guest

GPU:
    Gainward 980 Ti
    luckily for me it doesnt happen....i checked the refresh rate and its @ 60Hz :D

im on a 19" ASUS fyi

edit: that's with my previous GTX 260

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  19. BababooeyHTJ

BababooeyHTJ Member Guru

GPU:
    7950 crossfire
    :mad:
    I just noticed this today, Just one more thing that worked in Vista that dosent in 7 that I have noticed. From what I have seen so far with the castrated Superfetch and UAC (because of noobs complaining) and older games like Gothic and Messiah that don't work. I'm just not at all impressed with Windows 7 so far and will probably reinstall Vista, it's faster anyways.

20. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Oh good, another "noob" with only half the info who hasn't read all four pages.