New Build - looking for suggestions

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by GKZ, Sep 7, 2009.

1. GKZ

GKZ Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4890 1GB
    Haven't built or researched the hardware in about 5 years. I am very rusty!

Looking for a new gaming machine that will run games like Call of Duty and Diablo 3 (I know it isn't out, and the requirements aren't out, but if it runs FarCry 2 it will run Diablo 3). I don't want to waste money on anything cheap but I don't want to buy something that won't last for a while.

Here is my hardware:
    http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=9386854

I'm also looking for a suggestion for two nice LCD displays. I'd like to have one above the other (I'll build a shelf if I have to) so I can reference things above and work mostly on the display below.

Note: This is coming up on a year old - http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=235440

2. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    ^ not a bad build so far, wat's ur budget?

EDIT: you have no board chosen, may I suggest the crosshair III or M4A79T Deluxe, both Asus AM3 boards

3. DrD0ctor

DrD0ctor Master Guru

GPU:
    graphics unit
    get a better gpu dude, and idk what your personal preference is, but i went with intel for my latest build, imo they just feel more future-proof

if you want to go ati, go for the 4890, and cpu-wise, i think socket i7 will support you longer

i havent been very up to date with hardware though so i might be wrong, somebody please correct me if i am, just trying to help :)

4. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    he doesn't need an i7 unless he is an enthusiast (myself included) who will run a multi GPU setup or a heavy encoder, if he's just a fairly casual gamer the extra price he pays will be wasted

5. DrD0ctor

DrD0ctor Master Guru

GPU:
    graphics unit
    yeah you have a point, i only said it because he said hed want to get the most time out of his purchase so i figured id throw it in there, but yeah it could be a waste of money

6. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
  7. GKZ

GKZ Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4890 1GB
    Don't know why it didn't carry from the cart to the wish list, but I had this mobo picked out already! It came with the same stack of memory I had picked out.

ASUS M4A79T Deluxe AM3 DDR3 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.252018

Updated the hard drive. Does the speed of the hard drives really matter much in Windows/gaming? I remember testing one old IDE drive versus two 7200.10 (whenever perpendicular recording was introduced w/Seagate drives) in hardware RAID1 and saw <1% difference (in some instances the load was slower by seconds) in load times and copy times.

I do encoding from time to time, I wouldn't spend a dime on increasing those speeds it is so uncommon for me to do so. The other posts suggest i7 is too expensive and not worth the money at this point for casual things - that's why I didn't pick it.

8. GKZ

GKZ Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4890 1GB
    *bump*

Any more suggestions or is that shopping list good?

9. dudecat64

dudecat64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock rx 6750xt
  10. GKZ

GKZ Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4890 1GB
    I do not plan on OCing.

The cost difference is pretty negligible and I do have the combo with the motherboard to even it out. I am more concerned with the quality of the two brands. Is it a personal preference or are there facts as to one is better.

11. yleclerc

yleclerc Guest

GPU:
    nVidia GTX 1660 6GB
    I would ditch the Seagate drives and consider Western Digital Caviar Black or Hitachi drives. I have had bad experiences with Seagate drives constantly failing.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  12. GKZ

GKZ Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4890 1GB
    I ditched Seagate for WD.

Seagate went from 5 to 3 year warranty while WD went from 3 to 5 year warranty.

13. jmpnop

jmpnop Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 260 Core 216
    4890 over 4870. Or atleast 4870 1GB.

14. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    ssd drive not been suggested? also i think fast amd will be fine for gaming and coding..can u hold out till next gen ati cards?

4890's are good bang for the buck mind u. the three i'd go for are the asus top version the sapphire atomic or the sapphire vapour-x.

why no overclocking? u can buy a true for amd and if you put a fast 120mm case fan you should be able to reach 3.8-4.0ghz with a bit if luck..

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-339-AS&groupid=701&catid=5&subcat=1481

this would be my choice with some 1600mhz ram. bit on the luxury side though..

make sure u have a nice case. (might as well if u are making a new pc...want something that has the wow factor and will last u a good three yrs at least).

regards display personally i can recommend benqs but recently i met online a german chap who owns a samsung 22inch 120mhz display. expensive but with 120mhz refresh that has to be a winner :)

15. jmpnop

jmpnop Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 260 Core 216
    Maybe hes not interested in the extra 10fps like me:D

16. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    extra ten fps? i'd say it can be more than that. it depends on the game and cpu/gpu combo.

saying it's always ten fps is wrong as can be more or less..e.g crysis might show ten fps whereas left for dead a 20fps increase.

but not overclocking just because "it might be ten fps" is wrong. this arguement comes up time to time.

ofc u can do what u want but this is an enthusiast site and i think encouraging ocing is healthy and relatively straitforward. saying to someone dont bother is a faux pas in my opinion and should result in an instant ban.

(joke the last part). :)

i for one like the fps boost it gives my games and i think the pc runs a bit snappier. people are put off by it but thats often because they dont have the right kit or they think its very dangerous/dificult.

and dare i say it your setup is bottlenecking that 260 a bit. not by much though...and i do agree in certain circumtances perhaps ocing isnt worth it if you dont want the hassle of a re-build etc. but if its a fresh build might as well learn everything no?

you can always take off an overclock if u really want..

17. ST19AG_WGreymon

ST19AG_WGreymon Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2070
    Looks fine to me. You can change the harddrive to a Caviar Black if you want a little more speed.

18. GKZ

GKZ Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4890 1GB
    Do hard drive speeds matter at all at this point? Games? Video encoding? Anything??

Hopefully as I type this for the sixth time it doesn't break when I try to post...

A while back when Doom 3 first came out the load times were horrible during single player. As a test, I built the PC with a 7200.? IDE Seagate. Loaded it up and did some simple tests - stopwatch style. I then took two brand new SATA disks in hardware RAID0 (striping) and found the tests to be ~1% difference (sometimes slower by seconds, some times faster by seconds).

Changed the 4870 (Newegg no longer sells this) to a 4890 1GB with the most reviews.

The power supply has yet to return to stock - any alternatives?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  19. yleclerc

yleclerc Guest

GPU:
    nVidia GTX 1660 6GB
    Western Digital Caviar drives have the 5 year warranty and several other WD models just have the 3 year versions.

20. GKZ

GKZ Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4890 1GB
    Does anyone have a comparable or better PSU for this build? This thing looks to be discontinued from Newegg's product line.

OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI 700W ATX12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Retail
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341002
    Code:
    Model #:OCZ700GXSSLI