Are you supposedly "OCD" about cable management and tidyness inside your PC?

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by FULMTL, Aug 29, 2009.

?

Are the internals of your PC neat?

1. Yes

49 vote(s)
    74.2%
  2. No

17 vote(s)
    25.8%
  1. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    YES
    -Is it a must that your cables are neatly tucked out of the way?
    -There are specially made holes for routing cables behind the motherboard and you only see a few inches of the end of the cable.
    -Does your powersupply have modular cables and on top of that, they are sleeved or you put your own on?
    -Do all of your fans use just a 3 pin connector?
    -Do you have a fan controller?

or

NO
    -Do you not care about how it looks as long as it does what its supposed to?
    -You dont have a window/mesh side panel so being messy is OK because no one can see it.
    -You dont know how to make it neater.
    -You use fans that have molex connectors only so you have to rig 2-3 or more of them together to get them working.

*hope this hasnt been posted before*

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  2. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX
    All of the above on the yes list, but the molex connectors.They are however, zip tied to the corners, and nearly invisible.

3. ascl

ascl Active Member

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 260 216
    I am not OCD about it... in fact, I care far more about function than form -- I don't care if it looks bad inside, but I do care about keeping things neatly tucked away for airflow reasons....

So I am somewhere in between. Most of the cables are tucked away, and clipped together with cable ties... but if a cable has to be run visibly, as long as its flush against something, I don't mind. I have no sleeved cables, it doesn't add anything except a visual benefit.

My WC pump is suspended with elastic... which looks terrible, but its very effective in cutting out the vibrations.

4. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    I only tidy mine a bit for airflow.

5. dune2

dune2 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    All of the above, including custom holes on the mobo tray. I have a side-window and neon-lights, so it's gotta be tidy.

6. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    Im on the Yes list haha. What bothers me the most are those fans that use molex connectors only. You have to put multiple ones together and it creates a cable mess. I see it in the gallery sometimes and it must makes me want to fix it for people. I say its always best to spend a bit more and have fans that use only 3/4 pin connectors.
    When I put systems together for other people and I take off the panel to show them what they have, they are pretty impressed at the setup. If I didnt tidy it up, I believe it would just make me look bad. Ive opened Dell and HP computers many times and look inside in horror at the cable work from the factory.

7. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    My case is a lil' messy:

[​IMG]

As long as my cables aren't in the way or would get caught in the fan (my CPU went emo and tried to cut its power cord once) I'm happy w/ it.

deltatux

8. Jonnyboy

Jonnyboy Guest

GPU:
    EVGA SC GTX 1070
    All of my cables are neatly zip tied together because I want a good air flow in my case

9. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    years back when i first built pcs i didnt mind about cables but as years pass i get more and more obsessive about cable mangement i see other pcs so tidy cant help but try and beat there cable mangement, mind games haha.

10. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    A bit of both... You can see cables, I have modular psu but cables are a bit too short to be able to hide those well. I would need to mod my case (cut holes to mobo tray)to get those better but would still need new psu. Some long cables are routed behind mobo tray. I have window on that case and I do care how those cables are... Some fans use molex and I don't have fan controller.

So which one should I vote ?

11. barwell1992

barwell1992 Guest

GPU:
    ASUS gtx560ti on T260HD
    bit of both im with function more so than looks but both are sort of important but i dont go to leangths of cuting holes and stuf

[​IMG]

its ok a bit messy

12. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    do not really care if it does not interfere with airfow

13. Arctucas

Arctucas Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    All my cables are sleeved and bundled/tied and tucked away as much as possible, but most are still visible.

Three fans are on controller, five are plugged into the motherboard, two are wired to PSU via Molex to three pin adapter.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  14. CyberTronics

CyberTronics Active Member

GPU:
    4870 512mb 800/1000
    wasn't thinking about cable managment and aesthetic look till i bought new case. Now almost all cables are hided.

15. MM10X

MM10X Guest

GPU:
    3080 FE
    I try to put the cables as neat as possible to not block airflow, but also for the fact that i may eventually add more parts so they are practical, but also as out of the way as possible to look good.

i think i should actually rewire my PC soon though. :nerd:

my old case was a bit messy...

16. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    With the cable tidying features of new cases you would have to be lazy not to even try and sort out your cables.

17. itsb1again

itsb1again Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG Geforce GTX 285 @ 702
    I used to never care until I came across the 'rig of the month'

That AND when i blew my cpu up I had nothing to do besides be ocd.

I'll post pics.. You can't see any of my wires. They're all ran perfectly. I even used electrical tape on the back side of the motherboard tray to hold them in their places so removing and adding the back plate is very simple.

I'll post pics soon (maybe tonight)

18. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    I try to be as neat as possible, I do have everything except for the fans being connected to the motherboard. Sadly my power supply's motherboard and 8pin cpu connector arent long enough, so, I cant route thoughs behind my tray. Most of my fans have the built in antec controller... so I guess that counts as a fan controller, I dont really see the point of needing that though.

19. flasher4Q

flasher4Q Member

GPU:
    XFX 260 gtx 216 core
    I always thought if you custom build your system that cable management was a given chore to do....what with all the case to chose from it's sure a lot easier to do......me I've been doing it for a lot of years in all my builds...................

Everyone has something special in them......it just seems to take longer for most to find out what it is.....NEVER give up

20. fasteddy

fasteddy Guest

GPU:
    2 x Asus HD6950oc
    Mine's a bit like an explosion in a spaghetti factory... so no ocd here.