Better soundcard than Auzentech Prelude?

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by niCe99, Aug 27, 2009.

1. niCe99

niCe99 New Member

Hi, i am looking for a better sound card than the Auzentech Prelude with respect to purely Audiophile (the BEST sound quality for music). Price range: up to $300.

Thanks.

2. live4life

live4life Banned

GPU:
    Asus EnGTX295
    ASUS XONAR HDAV 1.3 DELUXE this baby has it all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!im a freak happy owner!!!!!!pownegeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

3. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
  4. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    What do you want the card for? I'd say a Xonar D2/D2X, STX Essence, and HDAV1.3, alongside the Auzentech Forte are "better" cards, but each in a different way.

5. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    If you mean in pure audio quailty then Yes I would agree the HDAV as well as the STX,I used to have a auzentech prelude my self.Even the same op-amp I bought for the prelude when I had it sound better on the HDAV when I switched to it and put my OPA627AU in(even tho I wish I never paid that 60 dollars for the op-amp and knew I could get some free). Same for the stock op-amp that comes with the prelude. Other then the fact I can install 3x op-amps two in my I/V and 1 in my buffer to change my signature even better.

Only pros for the prelude that it uses a X-FI chipset if you care enough for actual EAX3-5.But down side is it has one OP-amp socket the L/R thats it. So when you switching op-amps unless your using a Dual to single plug adaptor you will only beable to install one op-amp in. And that would have to be a dual one if your not using that adaptor. The forte is better because it has a headphone amp built on the card so you wouldn't need a standalone one.

If you dont mind emulation of eax5 then Xonar, or picky about eax then either keep your prelude and use dual dip-8 to single dip-8 adaptors and use two op-amps. Like maybe Two OPA2277's or some OPA827Aids etc.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  6. Deckard79

Deckard79 Member Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9600GT passive
    The Prelude is undoubtedly a great card, but somehow... even after an expensive opamp upgrade, it didn't quite do it for me sound wise.

Definitely prefer the Xonar D2X myself, and I expect the Essence would sound even better.

The D2X sounds much more 'forward' than the Prelude. You feel a bit closer to your music.

But a lot of it's down to personal taste.