XP32 and XP64 patchscript for FireGL and FirePRO (driver 8.44 and higher)

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by gellmar, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Johnpv

Johnpv Member

GPU:
    HD4870
    These don't work either. All they installed was Hydravision, and C++, would not install the display driver at all.

2. gellmar

gellmar Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD3850 1024MB
    Folks,

finally I am home again, and I will check the wesley8's drivers - but remember: ATIFuse is coming :) BTW, what would you say about a BIOS hacker doing all the job instead of ordinary Windows driver - you dump your BIOS, modify it and reflash the card by your own BIOS - this might work not like flashng V8700's BIOSes.

gellmaR

3. NxCPU

NxCPU Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD3870 1GB GDDR4
    gellmar you are a hero.
    You have broken off your holiday just to test wesley8's script. :supercool

Robert

4. gellmar

gellmar Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD3850 1024MB
    No, I haven't ;) Simply I am tired to have a rest - it's time 2 work now :)

About wesley8's driver set - still does not work for me in its intact state (even with replaced 0x9456 to 0x9511) - it does not recognize the card like Johnpv said. Also, there were some issues in the driver itself (the devid is being checked 16 times before it is changed), so the results wesley8 reported can be achieved only in specViewPerf - I had to get back to my AF pre-alpha to be able to run SW without glitches.

BTW, AtiFuse works quite well but I am looking for a truly automated solution for Windows / Linux. That's why - what about BIOS hacking?

gellmaR

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009

5. wesley8

wesley8 Guest

GPU:
    Asus 5870 1G
    You can try this,to replace those two files at real firepro driver 8.633 X64.
    Use inf method to install and also install 9.7 ccc. after reboot click F8 before boot into win7.chose Disable driver signature enforcement.
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YHBZRZUS

[​IMG]

6. wesley8

wesley8 Guest

GPU:
    Asus 5870 1G
    That's good idea. It can be done such like softmod slic for vista & WIN7.

7. CADCAT

CADCAT Guest

GPU:
    Mobility HD5870 1GB GDDR5
    a bios hack would be the best I think, but is it possible??

8. gellmar

gellmar Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD3850 1024MB
    Why isn't it possible? Since we know what registers are necessary to be modified, we can alter them in BIOS code - that's what I am doing now with my card :)

gellmaR

P.S.: I have to admit that I need a 48xx card for testing - I have a register dump of V8700, but the architecture is different :(

9. gellmar

gellmar Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD3850 1024MB
    Just installed the modified drivers - the driver does not load (error is shown here):
    [​IMG]

This is the main reason I blamed idea with patchscripts - we can't obtain a valid CodeSign 3 certificate to sign the drivers each time we mod it. You should use a test certificate, but it creates some problems with Protected Media Content etc. For private use, I have to sign my drivers via my personal testsign certificate, however it can not be aplied to other men' machines. And the Disable Driver signature Enforcement is just a workaround - not a solution;)

gellmaR

10. wesley8

wesley8 Guest

GPU:
    Asus 5870 1G
    your picture just shows you didn't enable testsigning and Disable driver signature enforcement. If you did it ,the error never shows.

11. gellmar

gellmar Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD3850 1024MB
    I know that, but anyway this is a workaround and NOT a normal way to do the mod! Why do we have to experience ANY limitations if we can use something easier and permanent at the same time? It works with DSE turned off, but why don't you sign your driver by means of a test certificate or provide a tool to generate it on a client machine? I can do that tool for you, BTW. But I think the driver patcher or a BIOS hack would be more elegant way allowing you and all other users not to wait until you or I release the latest modded drivers but to work as if they had a real FirePRO. Otherwise we have to create 6 versions of drivers each time AMD releases new driver set, and don't forget that the crappy strap also affects some device registers that CANNOT be modified by software - I made a boot loader and checked that - thus the performance is not FirePRO one. And, at last, you change DevID in CheckStereoConnector routine, while the driver checks this value 16 times before it executes - and I spent a month to find an early initialization point at the very beginning of driver's workflow. That's why I am thinking about BIOS mod rather than any SM'ing now.

gellmaR

P.S.: Anyway good job, and don't treat this post like a holywar or something else :)

12. Johnpv

Johnpv Member

GPU:
    HD4870
    I did both of those and it still doesn't install the drivers for me, so it can't be that.

How much danger are we running into with a Bios hack? IE What are the chances of having a dead card?

13. wesley8

wesley8 Guest

GPU:
    Asus 5870 1G
    New X64 driver with digital sign:
    1.Use Run as Administrator to open Command Prompt,type: Bcdedit.exe –set TESTSIGNING ON,restart computer.
    2.double click ATI.mod.cer,install certificate to“trusted root certification authorities“
    3.install driver which use inf method.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RD933HVJ

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  14. virtualex

virtualex Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870-800/4400

It works, after restart CCC now has "workstation" option, Weighted Geometric Mean = 118.66 (up from 22 with radeon drivers), but Maya viewport performance does not feel improved......

15. Rectifier

Rectifier Active Member

GPU:
    MSI HD3870-OC
    Concerning the recent progress - good work ;-)

Anyway, a bios mod - yes, definitely. I just don't know the status of ATIflash, but back in my Nvidia days, I've done quite a few. True, I have had to flash it blindly once or twice, but still, the card is still alive and kicking as a QFX4000 (with a rivatuner mod, in the end the bios mod never really caught on).

My 3870 is at your disposal for testing.

16. Mega

Mega Guest

GPU:
    Club3D R9 290 @ 4096x2160
    Why not add a ATI GL pro stream id bios strap like nvidia quadro.

17. CADCAT

CADCAT Guest

GPU:
    Mobility HD5870 1GB GDDR5
    hi, made a quick benchmark of Wesley8's driver vs. Catalyst 9.8 in Windows 7 X64.. It shows, that performance improves only in ViewPerf 10 benchmark, while CATIA V5 (R19SP4, X64) shows no increase and in FurMark the performance drops with FireGL drivers while with working drivers it has to be the other way! (FireGL > Radeon).. FurMark is the only 32bit app tested..

sadly I wasn't able to bench GellmaR's latest drivers on XP X64 as the Windows 7 installation crashed my XP.. (thx Windows 7 hidden partition :biggun:)

[​IMG]

18. gellmar

gellmar Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD3850 1024MB
    CADCAT,

That's why AF is delayed a bit - I spend days for my major job and nights for tons of logs, diffs etc - and there is some progress! In the mod I have done originally and wesley8 recreated, there are only 5 functions that do really accelerate the things - the rest are called the same for Radeon & FirePRO and accelerated inside the card (i.e involving hard-coded registers).

gellmaR

19. maxpoz

maxpoz Active Member

GPU:
    Ati X1600
    The new mod is only for Vista/Sever or it's also for X64?

20. Johnpv

Johnpv Member

GPU:
    HD4870
    I've been really busy with work so I haven't had a chance to try the new drivers, but from the sounds of it, it looks like there's no performance increase in actual use.

Gellmar what are the possibilities of a bios hack? Would that allow you to install drivers directly from AMD's site? If you need some one to test AF let me know, I have a 1 gig 4870 and I'm running Windows 7x64.