GTX 280 - Purple Screen of Death

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Tiger253, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Tiger253

Tiger253 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 280
    So I lucked out on a recertified GTX 280 and surely going to RMA. It crashes everytime I get into Windows. I've been troubleshooting this for 3 days and I thought the problem went away because after I went from Win7 build 7100 to 7600, it no longer crashed. But it was only a matter of time for it to crash at desktop again, once it purple screened in L4D.

I searched up "gtx 280 purple screen" and other people had the same problem.

I think I'll be getting another recert. card from Newegg. Hopefully it'll work.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  2. jmpnop

jmpnop Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 260 Core 216
    Since its working on Windows 7 and not on XP, I doubt it a GPU problem..Go ahead with RMA anyways.

3. Tiger253

Tiger253 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 280
    It actually booted to desktop in Win XP fine but crashed in game or if I tried to play a video. It does not work in Windows 7, it use to but it got worse.

This is what it looks like: http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/8647/image019ti3.jpg

Some people say this is a driver problem but I've tried a bunch of drivers and it still crashes with Microsoft Corporation WDDM v1.1, which is what Win7 automatically finds and installs. And I've tried 32bit and 64bit Win7 with 32bit and 64bit ForceWare's.

4. acebmxer

acebmxer Member Guru

GPU:
    xFx ATI 5850 760/1113
    Have you updated you bios on you MB or overclock cpu lately? try going back to stock speed for sh*t and :giggle2:. when my overclock was not 100% stable it would crash like that some times playing games or at boot up. :confused:

just a thought.

5. Tiger253

Tiger253 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 280
    Yeah I went back to defaults and already updated to latest bios version...

Should I RMA to Newegg or EVGA guys?

6. jmpnop

jmpnop Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 260 Core 216
    What drivers are you using?

And if I were you I'd RMA..

7. Tiger253

Tiger253 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 280
    I tried all the ones from 186-190 and it's safe to say it's not a driver problem. I picked up at GTX 260 in the meantime (working perfectly, no more PSOD) for a good deal with my friend's employee discount at BestBuy and I started the RMA process yesterday. Evga processed it in 12hrs and approved of it, now I just gotta ship it.

...still haven't gotta anything DOA from NewEgg, but this is the first RMA ever :approval:

8. DFox31

DFox31 New Member

GPU:
    GTX280
    I am having pretty much the EXACT problem as you except I crash as soon as I start up a game. I already RMA'd my first GTX280 after around 6-8 months and they sent me back another one which worked fine except now (6-8 months later again) I have the same issue. At first reseating the card worked to clear the crashes (until I reboot) but now even that doesn't work. Called EVGA tech support and was told that the first card I sent in was working 100% when they tested it and that its probably something on my end (yet there are lots of other people having the same problems as me :/)

Also, out of curiosity, what monitor do you have?

9. Tiger253

Tiger253 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 280
    dang that sucks,

I have an Acer X223Hbid

10. LKHERO

LKHERO Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming Z
    I have the SAME exact problem with my card! I have a eVGA GTX280 and the latest BIOS to my eVGA 780i board.

I have no idea what's going on..
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=301529

See that thread. And I already RMA'd the card and this is the new card that's having problems.

11. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Purple screen or purple textures to be exact is a common problem with source engine games. Basically the engine fills in missing textures with these purple textures. 9 times out of 10 it is driver issues. Not the card.

12. DFox31

DFox31 New Member

GPU:
    GTX280
    Its not just a texture or two, its the whole system crashing on any game, anytime.

13. DFox31

DFox31 New Member

GPU:
    GTX280
    Also, the more people I look at who have the same problem also seem to have the same motherboard, the ASUS P45. hmmm

14. Tiger253

Tiger253 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 280
    Mmm I feel your pain. People are having the same problem all over evga, nvnews, nvidia, tomshardware, ocforums, hardforums, and possibly more. Those are all the ones I've read up on.

EVGA should be getting my RMA on Friday and I'll let you few guys know how it is.

15. Tiger253

Tiger253 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 280
    Really? What mobo do you have??

I don't think it's a mobo problem. I've tried switching to a 7600 GT and 9800 GTX and I didn't get the PSoD, even the 280's little brother GT200 chip card I'm using right now works perfectly.

16. DFox31

DFox31 New Member

GPU:
    GTX280
    The ASUS P5Q3 P45.

17. Tiger253

Tiger253 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 280
    I see.

So, what's going on with your 280 now? You gonna RMA that one?

18. David Lake

David Lake Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan V watercooled
    Get a GTX 285.

19. Drunkenmasta

Drunkenmasta Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 260 OC + Acer 26"
    Well...I have an Asus P5Q Deluxe (p45 chipset) and my 8800 GTX was flashing purple while I was watching Initial D series! I couldn't watch them! I rebooted and tried to play GTA IV when it crashed instantly upon loading the graphics and on my desktop it was showing many weird triangle artifcats and blurring all my icons the mouse curor went over. I rebooted again and it lost the signal completely upon bootup, after much troubleshooting from a complete power down for a few hours with no power to PSU nothing came of my 8800 GTX anymore. I had to go out and buy my GTX 260 >_>. I probably won't be able to RMA my 8800 GTX since I'm not sure if I registered it wthin 30 days but will see.

20. RKOver

RKOver Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 @ 900MHz
    Nice overclock on that CPU :D