500 Watt PSU & GTX 260 core 216

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by consume, Aug 7, 2009.

1. jmpnop

jmpnop Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 260 Core 216
    And also if move to Core 2 Duo E8400 in the near future. That would be enough for this rig..

2. consume

consume Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580
    Is there a way for the video card to use its own power supply? Like if i let the 260 use the basiq on its on and a 300 w psu for the rest of the system?

3. Lex Luthor

Lex Luthor Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    Maybe I am giving wrong advice here...is this the specs on your PSU?

Output
    VoltageRange
    MAXReg.Ripple & Noise
    +5V 30.0A ±5% 50
    +12V1 18.0A ±5% 120
    +12V2 18.0A ±5% 120
    -12V 0.3A ±10% 120
    +5VSB 2.5A ±5% 50
    +3.3V
    30.0A
    ±5% 50

ref: http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=Njk=

Lex

4. consume

consume Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580
    Yup, those are the specs.

5. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    yes...all you need to do is use a paper clip to jump between the green wire and any black wire on the 20/24pin connector of the "slave" PSU that's not powered on via the motherboard and then use the external power switch on the slave unit to power it on and off.

But really I don't see any reason why the Basiq 500 won't work...a GTX260 only draws about 10A thru the PCIe connectors and about 4A thru the mobo slot. Your PSU is based around the FSP500-60GLN Epsilon platform...it's decent...same as an OCZ StealthXStream 500, FSP BlueStorm II 500 and many others except without the bling.

6. Lex Luthor

Lex Luthor Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    Then it will work...here's the specs for the 260 (albeit 196 shader version)

Thermal and Power Specs:
    Maximum GPU Temperature (in C) 105 C
    Maximum Graphics Card Power (W) 182 W
    Minimum System Power Requirement (W) 500 W
    Supplementary Power Connectors 6-pin x2

ref; http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_gtx_260_us.html

And your no where clos to overdriving your system with current components.

Additionally, let's do a little math here (ohms law)

260 max power usage is 182 watts, divided by 12 volts equals a 15.17 amps.

Last time I checked 15.17 is less than 18.

And the 15.17 amps is supplied via the PSU is from 2 rails that can supply 18 amps each! (Some current come's from the PCI slot on the mobo too)

AND THIS IS AT MAX.....Which will only run at during benches (arguably).

And Antec has quality products.

Are there better PSU's sure....but that's not the point.

Point is, you only have so much cash. You want a new GPU. Your PSU will work as per the engineered/published spec's from reputable and experienced companies!

Lex

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  7. consume

consume Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580
    Ok i used this psu power converter and this is what i get :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As you can see, i did it yesterday but that post with the guy who had the basiq blow up on him worried me.

and also just to test, i successfully did the paper clip "mod" on my old 300 watt power supply and it was able to power my harddrive as a test.

8. Lex Luthor

Lex Luthor Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    Please don't use paper clips for electrical connections...not a good idea. And I don't endorse bridging power supplies together by connecting the ground (green wire) to the current sink/return (black wire) even if they are electrically equivalent. Why? It's outside of code and design specifications. Yes, there are ways to properly bridge power supplies but connecting the green and black wire together on 1 unit to use ground as a current path is a bad idea. The ground (green wire) is there for safety as defined by NEC (or your countries equivalent electrical code oversight) and is not meant to normally have current going through it.

Lex

9. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    uhm wrong...these are the wires on the 20/24 pin connector. Green is PS_ON and black is common ground and the voltage/current thru the paper clip when jumped is ~2V/<1A. Perfectly safe and I've got PSU's here that have been running like this for years.

Ground in a DC circuit is a true return path btw.

10. Lex Luthor

Lex Luthor Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    Sorry, thought you were talking about strapping the returns together via the ground. I still stand by it not being a good idea using a paper clip to use for an electrical connection.

Ground is ground, return is return btw. People call the return ground all the time....but that is not technically correct.

Lex

11. cutepuppy671

cutepuppy671 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 970
    hmm lots of expensive recommendations,

for me, I have used this power supply on many computers with gtx 260's and higher and they work well

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817226002

it is cheap enough and works well

voltages are stable.

with your current power supply, you can still use the gtx 260

the 40 amp requirement is based on what they see as the average hardware found in a system using that videocard.

just know that it may shorten the life of the power supply.

one of my friends used a gtx 280 on a 400 watt power supply, the PSU died after 3 weeks

12. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    fine...I stand by everything I've said and not gonna argue the issue with you or anyone else.

13. MAD-OGRE

MAD-OGRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
    I think if your worried at all , dont do it, wait till you can get both or dont get any thing at all.
    Its simply not worth losing your rig for a few more FPS.

14. consume

consume Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580
    Alright guys im confused, so should i be fine with the basiq and 260 or should i use the paper clip thing and power my hard drives and other things (excluding cpu and gpu)? And to the guy above me, it's kind of late for that...i jumped the gun and bought the 260 yesterday (not here yet though) And i still don't get it, how can a failed power supply (due to not enough power) ruin other things in the pc?

15. cutepuppy671

cutepuppy671 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 970
    With your current hardware, it should be able to run it ok as long as the voltages are stable, PS you may also want to test power usage using a tool like killawatt and see power usage while running 3dmark

if your system is using more than 500 watts even if the voltages are stable, you will need a new power supply as the load will kill the power supply within a few weeks in many cases

your CPU and other items are pretty low power and nvidia will most likely be taking into account gaming hardware commonly used with their high end video cards

PS that power supply has many safety features, if you pull far too much power, it will automatically turn off before any damage is done.

16. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    it will be fine with the Basiq 500 since your peak loads will be around 300W and that's still under the recommended maximum on a 500W unit and actually in the sweet spot for efficiency and load regulation.

Using a second PSU to power hard drives and fans is only going to take a couple amps load off the Basiq. Using it to power the external PCIe connectors would lower the load significantly though but actually since this is probably some POS thing that came with a case your risk factor is lower by using the Basiq alone.

That's my final answer.

17. consume

consume Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580
    Ok i just looked at the power sticker on it, and its 250w not 300. And it's got 218w on the 12v with 14amps lol. I don't think i can use it to power the card hahaha. And also, yes, it's a pos. The company is Bestec and it came with my hp computer from 6 years ago. I had a 450w logisys but i gave it away to a friend....i shouldn't have done that :S.

18. Democ

Democ Active Member

GPU:
    HD 5850
    consume, I think you are going to be fine. I ran a 9800gt sli system with an oced e6600 for 6 months on a antec earthwatts 500w psu. The psu is still working in my dad's computer today. Just stick with the 500w job you got and enjoy your new gtx260

19. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Different card, different effect use.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-260-review/4

A GeForce GTX 260 requires you to have a 500 Watt power supply unit at minimum if you use it in a high-end system.

20. pokuly

pokuly Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX660Ti SC
    I´d go with the 500W and wouldn´t worry to much since you have brand model.
    I only measured surpring low ~250Watt with a wattage meter at the plug at overclocked gaming and have a not to different system to yours. Of cause you must add ~25Watts since your card will most likely be running at the standard 1.12V