Overclocking MSI 4890 Cyclone

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Wendig0, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Wendig0

Wendig0 Master Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor PCS+ AXR9 290X
    I recently bought a MSI 4890 OC card. I bought it due to the heatsink so I can overclock. I know it can handle the 1000MHz due to the SOC version of this card. I was wondering if somehow I could flash the card's bios with the SOC bios to overclock.

I'd just go ahead and try overclocking to 1000MHz but I don't think it could make it on the stock voltage and I'm assuming that the SOC's stock voltage is a little higher. I've never messed with upping the voltage on video card's before. I only have experience in overclocking video cards on stock voltage.

2. Wendig0

Wendig0 Master Guru

GPU:
    Great, forget the overclocking.. I'll have to return my card because the fan stopped working.. :'( I noticed it was idling at 79ºC and I restarted my computer and oppened the case and found out that the fan wasn't spinning :(.

I have two idea's why it stopped working.

1) It was defected from when I recieved it. (After I plugged in the card CCC would auto run the fan at 68% when the temps were low) I just manually ran it at 40% and the temps were fine.

2) I have LianLi A05b modded with a fan directly above the card for exhaust. So i'm thinking that the fan above was making the fan on the card work harder due to it sucking in air and the exhaust blowing out air. It is weird though because my 8800gts was in the same situation and yet it ran 10ºc cooler.

Ehh,, i don't think option idea #2 is the case. The 120mm fan is running at a low rpm and I don't think it would have much conflict with the card's fan.. Plus if it did it shouldn't have killed the fan so soon.

man I'm bummed out now ...

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  3. bolden

bolden Active Member

GPU:
    GTX260
    you can't edit the voltage on this card because it doesn't use volttera pwm

4. Wendig0

Wendig0 Master Guru

GPU:
    Is that for all 4890's or just the MSI ones?

5. Nafets1

Nafets1 Active Member

GPU:
    Just the MSI Cyclone models and any other non-reference designed PCB HD4890s (XFX ZDFC, Sapphire Vapor-X, etc...)

6. Wendig0

Wendig0 Master Guru

GPU:
  7. Nafets1

Nafets1 Active Member

GPU:
    Newegg hasn't updated their pictures.

I've recently read many reports of people receiving redesigned ZDFC HD4890 models with a non-reference PCB and different heatsink/fan. These newer XFX cards don't have the Volterra digital VRMs, and use a cheaper blower fan with a much lighter heatsink...

8. Wendig0

Wendig0 Master Guru

GPU:
    eh, screw it. I'm just RMA'ing the Cyclone because I don't want to pay more money than I have to. This card is fast enough for me at stock right now anyways.

9. lbomak

lbomak New Member

GPU:
    Visiontek HD4870 512MB
    Does anyone know when they will release the SOC version of this card? I just bought an OC version also and I am not too thrilled that I can't overclock it to more than about 950Mhz! I read so many reviews that said the OC version could reach 1Ghz but it just won't run stable with the stock voltages. I have about 30 days to return the card so I'm hoping they either release the SOC or someone figures out a way to modify the voltage!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  10. John_Woodside

John_Woodside Member

GPU:
    MSI cyclone 4890 OC
    Also keep in mind the SOC may very well be a collection of cherry picked chips. Some chips are made better than others because of factory imperfections, Not all OC versions would be capable of 1 ghz. Mine's coming tomorrow so here's hoping :)