What Temp to go by for...

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by holden90, Aug 10, 2009.

1. holden90

holden90 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870X2 H2O
    Overclocking?
    I have a Q6600 2.4 @ 3.0 stable and both Probe II and HWM report CPU at 19'c Idle and around 47'c full load (prime 95 Stress Test) HOWEVER.. HWM also reports CORE temp's at around 69 - 72'c.
    Intel rate this cpu to 71'c... My question is this. Is that CPU temp or Core temp?

2. Source707

Source707 Active Member

GPU:
    Gainward GTX295
    Core temps, I think. Try to lower the Vcore and keep stable, that way you will run cooler.

3. acebmxer

acebmxer Member Guru

GPU:
    xFx ATI 5850 760/1113
    The 71'c that intel says is cpu temp. Core temps keep 20'c below TjMax. So if your TjMax is 100 dont let them go over 80 for safty :thumbup:

4. holden90

holden90 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870X2 H2O
    Thanks all...

Cheers, im in the process of testing the lowest voltage at this clk. Im happy with 3.0 for daily use but mite up it one day.

5. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    The 71C rating is for Tcase, which is a measurement taken from the outside of the CPU. It's not a measurement you will see through software. In fact, that's for the G0 stepping, it's 62.2C for B3.

acebmxer's method of up to 20C until Tjmax is the preferred way; download Realtemp or Coretemp as they both display the distance to Tjmax.

6. holden90

holden90 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870X2 H2O
    awesome hint, im onto it. yes i have go stepping cpu. by the way... system failed at 1.20v, so i wnt up 2 clicks to 1.256v and was stable for 2 hrs prime 95... that sound right to all you guru's and pc gods?

7. happy

happy Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 9400GT
    down load and run this Intel Burn Test, it will stress your cpu more than you can ever imagine i normally do 10 passes before i consider it stable

8. holden90

holden90 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870X2 H2O
    More thanks to the wize ones... I have set Vcore to 1.2526 and ran P95 overnight, max coretemp = 62'c, well below the 100'c tjmax. will run the intel burn to be sure ;)

9. gampamu

gampamu Guest

GPU:
    MSI 8800GTS 320
    You may have a pretty decent chip for overclocking, capable perhaps of 3.6G+ judging by the chip's voltage requirement at 3G. But it is likely you will need to improve your cooling if wish to proceed much further. Prime core temperatures you reported above seem to indicate you are running either the Intel stock cooler or something only marginally better. If you are going to stop at 3G, the cooler you are running is fine. But if you wish to peruse higher clocks, a cooler upgrade is highly recommended. Something like the XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 would be a good inexpensive choice (it is in the US not sure if this is the case where you are).

10. holden90

holden90 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870X2 H2O
    Cooling...

Hey thanks for all the feedback aye, In using the Artic freezer pro 7 cpu cooler, I was watercooling my cpu and graphics card with a Thermaltake big water setup, only the 1 radiator set, and I found my 4870X2 would preheat the water to a point where my cpu was idling at 30'c ish (using hwm) So I have kept the graphics on water and gone back to air for the cpu, currently at 19'c while writing this AND C1E disabled, will test ststem soon with halt state re-enabled. Also with running all my cooling inside the case there isnt alot of room for a bigger air cooling setup...

11. acebmxer

acebmxer Member Guru

GPU:
    xFx ATI 5850 760/1113
    be careful with IBT or LinX (same as IBT) what ever max temps you get from prime95 they will be 10c hotter with these software.

To water cool both cpu and video card in one loop you will need at least 2 rads I found that out but at least i had bought the second rad just in case. I ran my setup Pump/res (all in one unit)-cpu-gpu-rad-rad

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  12. holden90

holden90 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870X2 H2O
    Cheers ace, I allways have an eye out for a deal on water cooling kit.
    Will keep posting

13. holden90

holden90 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870X2 H2O
    I have had a play and are running @ 3191MHz (398.99 x 8.0) 1.328 V and max temp after an overnight P95 + 10 pass Intel burn test = 79'c.
    I droped the multi to 8 in order to keep fsb dram ratio 3:5 = 1333ish
    Probally as faast as I can go now with my current cooler aye and still keep temps managable. BTY NB temp was 47'c... is this acceptable?