Console Modding = 10 Years In Prison

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Neo Cyrus, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I think its more trusting someone to tamper with something you could fall asleep playing, and wake up as a crispy pancake.

Though maybe that means they should legalise modding, so registered electricians can check it over for you :p

2. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    If this is the mentality of the human race lately, i really hope an asteroid will visit Earth soon and blow everything up. I couldn't care less tbh.
    Everything is ONLY about money these days. Everything has to move for money.

Hell, scientists have found clues that there might be oil within the Earths mantle. If that's true, we (no, companies) can screw this planet even more and more...... only for that one thing: money.

Ohh.... and without humans, there wouldn't be any companies hmmm?

Or the Failing States of America? It couldn't be The Failing States of Fail, since that would make them good again. :)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  3. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Guest

GPU:
    2070 Super
    So by your way of thinking people who mod the consoles in which they paid for should have 10 years of their life taken away?

4. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    man, lay off the weed, i know you do that a lot since it's legal :D

5. atlas029

atlas029 Member Guru

GPU:
    evga295gtx+/8800GTS640
    He was Stupid!!! he most likely made it into a full fledge busniess, most likely had tons of people speading his name around about what he was doing. Its not againts the law to mod. ur machine.....its unlawful to charge someone else to do there's. thats where there going to get him!

6. Duke Nil

Duke Nil Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Yeah guys I'm pretty sure they didn't raid his house and arrest him because he modded his own personal console, he was modding others' presumably for money, which is very much "in violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act."

It's still lame, I would hope that cops have better things to do with their time, but I feel the same way a/b cops that arrest ppl for underage drinking or weed or minor speeding

7. BBN

BBN Master Guru

GPU:
    Vapor-X 7950 3 Way Xfire
    I say we join The Pirate party , or make a new one :) like the one in Germany , they say they might get 7% or more nice...

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  8. evilkiller650

evilkiller650 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 980ti AMP! Extreme
    lmao. I see it now.

Random Rapist and Murderer: "Yo homie. What you do to get 10 years in prison man?"
    Console Modder: "I modded my Xbox 360 so I could play pirated games."
    Random Rapist and Murderer: "Yo dawg. That is some crazy ****e going down yo pulled off."

9. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    I fail to see how that makes any sense what-so-ever. Might as well make in unlawful for someone else to fix my computer, build one for me, or have someone else fix my car. It's all about the same as modding a console. You don't see people getting arrested for modding other people's car do you, provided it's legal mods of course?

10. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    You get less time for murder in NT Canada

11. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    UP to...its unlikly he'll get or actually serve the full 10 years.

But i think many here fail to realize how serious piracy has become and continuing to increase. If they didnt crack down so hard on Cocaine back in the late 80's/90's, it would be 10x worse now. Same with piracy, they have to crack down hard to keep it at low enough levels to be sustainable for the industry to survive and make enough money to produce sequals or try out new gaming ideas...do you all want to see the gaming industry suffer or what? let it get out of control and say bye to new gaming ideas cause they couldnt afford to take a risk.
    Most here are gamers and its rather sad to see so many who seem to love gaming yet think the big corporates should turn a blind eye to things like this leaving the future of gaming potentially more vulnerable than it already is. If the trend continues, one day mod kits will become more and more popular just like torrents are on PC and it doesnt do any one here any good as a gamer whatsoever.

any real gamer imo, should be glad there are victories against would be hackers and piraters or there may not be any good high budget games to play in another 5 years. There are no more major PC exclusives, so if consoles become more easily hackable, then forget about mega million dollar budget title games like MGS 5 or gta 4 cause consoles could end up having equal or higher piracy levels than PC already has due to its massive user base. Console makers rely heavily on titles as they lose money on hardware.

12. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    If the guy was modding for a price, then yes its illegal. He did it to himself. If it was for his own use w/o making a dime then I doubt they would have done anything.

13. xcalibur+

xcalibur+ Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS EAH4670 512 DDR3
    that's what i've stated @ my first post..

if the console devs. wants to play safe, they should do what Sony do to their PSP.. open the Sony website with a modified firmware, and your PSP is history :puke2:

14. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    they sure dodged a bullet with the whole crack thing then, didnt they. good thing they "cracked down" so effectively back then (get it?)

also, the DMCA is composed of utter bull****. that is all

15. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    you can unbrick them now and actually bricking is a thing of the past. yeah one guy doing it himself is no deal, but what if he put that info on the net or ended up making a business out of it? the potential is there, i'm not saying they should get much jail time or nothing but due to consoles large popularity in the gaming industry, the potential for mod kits to get popular is very worrysome and the technology for hacking evolves making them more appealing, easier to do and recieve. like PSP hacking right now is so easy, anyone can do it, they even sell modded batteries so you dont have to yourself. i know the older PS2 mod kits was a simple usb connection and presto, instant mod for illegal games

16. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    Hackers get caught because big ego's come with big mouths.

17. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    I'm sorry, but modified firmware doesn't mean they are going to go around and pirate every game imaginable. They just want you to believe that. There are PLENTY of perfectly good reasons to modify your console. Putting an OS on there, playing homemade games, third party accessories (including HDDs and such), etc.

If they can prove he was pirating games, then that's fine. But I already know they can't. And furthermore, they have no proof he sold them to people who were going to pirate.Just because you can misuse regular products and services doesn't mean they should be illegal. I mean hell, how many are going to use an automatic rifles for a legitimate cause? I'd say very few yet the populace is still allowed to buy them.

18. Anubis

Anubis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB
    Is it illegal to sell a modded console? anyone?

19. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Alexstarfire, they don't have to prove that the people he sold it to were going to use it for copied games, though there are firmwares that let you do the stuff you mentioned, but don't play copied games, so if his one did, then thats proof enough, but the fact he was making money from doing it is probably illegal, as i doubt it was declared either.

Its the same with downloading movies, music, games, i don't think people should be prosecuted, but if you are selling them, then definetly know you risk jailtime.

I once heard a drug dealer say i only supply the product, i'm not responsible for what happens afterwards.

20. Chouji

Chouji Guest

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    Remember guys, you licence the firmware/bios you don't own it, you only own the hardware. So you can do what ever you want with the hardware, as long as you don't modify the firmware or bios. Replacing the firmware or bios with an open source version is perfectly legal.
    It is also legal to add onto the firmware, as long as the original firmware isn't modified.

I like what they did with the PSP.
    Custom firmwares for the psp are anything but custom.
    The original firmware isn't modded at all, which is why sony can't touch Dark Alex.
    All dark alex did was change how the firmware was installed, and added additional modules. Replacing, but not modifying sony's files.
    So hacking a psp is not illegal.

How the PSP is modified.
    The PSP is hacked using the "custom firmware" by running a special installer, the installer installs 3rd party modules first and then installs an untouched official firmware on top of it. It doesn't install all official modules, if 3rd party versions of it already exist.
    Even the pandora battery hack when used with a properly programmed memory stick, replaces unwanted modules with open source, 3rd party versions. You aren't modifying the modules, just replacing them.

This is why people with hacked PSP's are left alone.
    As long as the firmware modules, or bios of any system is not directly modified, it doesn't count as reverse engineering and isn't illegal.
    On the other hand, how you use the console, may be illegal.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009